Travis

The Wiener's Circle
ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Tue 27 Nov, 2007 5:28 AM Quote
I heard about this hot dog place one afternoon when I was listening to NPR . It was featured on an episode of This American Life because of it's... uhhh, charm. Apparently it's mostly operated by black women, and the patrons are drunk (white) yuppies, and frat boys. Hilarity ensues. Oh yeah, and I guess that food sucks, and it's only good for hangovers

Here are some reviews I've read:
--"Who needs enemies when you have the Wiener Circle? If you are looking for a bombastic place for cheap and greasy eats at 2 in the morning when the bars get out, this is your place.

When you step in, you are immediately hit with a barrage of insults. Some make sense, some don't. The girls working behind the counter sling food as well as comebacks, and they do it in a lively, vivacious way. Be prepared for lots of swearing, and don't even THINK of saying THANKS or PLEASE. You will be ridiculed. The food is prepared to order and tastes great. The fries are greasy and hot.

Be prepared to be entertained, as long as you don't mind raucous and raunchy epithets hurled. Nothing is safe here, and race, religion, sexual preference, and pop culture are all poked fun at. If it is your first time here, there is something special that you can order that is not listed on the menu. Ask for a chocolate shake. It is well worth the price!"

--"If you want to be offended come here. Although, I was one of the lucky ones to be complimented. "Thank you, Michael Jackson." I mean, I know I can be light-skinned, but skin-bleached Michael Jackson? Baby, please. Weiner Circle definitely throws a show! Imagine a hot dog host saying that the ring you bought your fiance is a "cheap ass ring." Or you walking in with your tight-fitting jeans, "Uh uh honey, you ain't no size 14!" Or you taking a picture: "B!TCH this ain't no zoo, put a dollar in this, B!TCH!!!" Dang, mouth agape. Not only with a hot dog about to kamikaze its way down to my tummy, but in shock at how bold, belittling, and biting these ladies' comments are. Have fun but wear a thick shell in case you get whipped with words."

This is a clip from when they showed it on the Showtime version of This American Life: The Wiener's Circle

Now, who's coming to this place with me!

Re: The Wiener's Circle
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 27 Nov, 2007 5:37 AM Quote
Lol!
That could be an interesting experience!

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Tue 27 Nov, 2007 5:58 AM Quote
I'm down...I finally hit SuperDawg on the NW side back in May...

heyjude
heyjude Posted Tue 27 Nov, 2007 6:10 AM Quote
i'd like to go to this place!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 27 Nov, 2007 2:28 PM Quote
I think a place like that would make me cry :o(

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 27 Nov, 2007 3:06 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I think a place like that would make me cry :o(

kinda agree , why go to a place just so people can give you shit ?

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Tue 27 Nov, 2007 3:17 PM Quote
i thought this was going to be a story aobut Weiner dogs...

i dunno...i think i'd be too scared to eat at a place like that...although, gimme a few beers, and i might think differently.

oh...btw...I LOVE This American Life! Ira Glass rocks!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 27 Nov, 2007 3:28 PM Quote
BOBO'S Chicken stand in Oklahoma City

"on the deuce trey near the MLK" - bobby dixon

which means just west of MLK on NE23rd

now I wanna check that place out

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Tue 27 Nov, 2007 6:01 PM Quote
I saw something about this place on tv a couple of years ago or so. I'd love to check that place out! You get crap service and you can totally let loose on the employees!

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Tue 27 Nov, 2007 7:21 PM Quote
........anddddd i'm in! hahaha

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Tue 27 Nov, 2007 7:30 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:

oh...btw...I LOVE This American Life! Ira Glass rocks!

Ira is my homeboy.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Tue 27 Nov, 2007 8:02 PM Quote
goosey_84 wrote:
........anddddd i'm in! hahaha

Hey, we should stop here after the boardie convention since it's in Chicago and all that...

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 9:00 PM