Travis

please help me
BettyPekker
BettyPekker Posted Tue 04 Sep, 2007 6:40 AM Quote
I've just got my new homework, a composition about 'As long as people live in cities and as long as cities go on growing to enormous sizes violence will go on increasing too'.
I haven't a clue what to write.
Please help me guys. Thanks

Re: please help me
ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Tue 04 Sep, 2007 6:40 AM Quote
is this your thesis?

lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Tue 04 Sep, 2007 6:42 AM Quote
I don't get it. Do you have to prove that? Or can you disprove it?

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Tue 04 Sep, 2007 6:59 AM Quote
yeah, I can help. But first I want to know what your position is

BettyPekker
BettyPekker Posted Tue 04 Sep, 2007 9:42 AM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
yeah, I can help. But first I want to know what your position is

I have to prove it.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 04 Sep, 2007 10:38 AM Quote
Well i guess you could argue that the less space people have, the more frustrated they may become and this could lead to violence.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Tue 04 Sep, 2007 10:45 AM Quote
I think you should disprove it, cos it's a rubbish theory.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 04 Sep, 2007 10:56 AM Quote
Sunny wrote:

I like how you back that up there. Dead clever.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Tue 04 Sep, 2007 10:59 AM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
Sunny wrote:

I like how you back that up there. Dead clever.

I thought so too.

BettyPekker
BettyPekker Posted Tue 04 Sep, 2007 11:22 AM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
Well i guess you could argue that the less space people have, the more frustrated they may become and this could lead to violence.

yes, thank you :)

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Tue 04 Sep, 2007 12:29 PM Quote
BettyPekker wrote:
I've just got my new homework, a composition about 'As long as people live in cities and as long as cities go on growing to enormous sizes violence will go on increasing too'.

Its pretty open and shut really - I know the idea is to prove it with overwhelming english literary skills, but the more people there are, the more crime/violence there will be, BECAUSE there are more people to cause the violence. Sounds a pretty silly question to me. Its like saying, the more jobs become available, the more populous the city will become - obviously, because more jobs mean more people. And just the same, more people means more people to cause crime. I would just write "The answer is in the question, it is obvious that in a village of 10 occupants there will be x amount of crime. In a town of 1000 people there will be an exponentially proportionate amount of x crime. In a city of 1 million - yadda yadda yadda"

BettyPekker
BettyPekker Posted Tue 04 Sep, 2007 6:04 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
BettyPekker wrote:

Its pretty open and shut really - I know the idea is to prove it with overwhelming english literary skills, but the more people there are, the more crime/violence there will be, BECAUSE there are more people to cause the violence. Sounds a pretty silly question to me. Its like saying, the more jobs become available, the more populous the city will become - obviously, because more jobs mean more people. And just the same, more people means more people to cause crime. I would just write "The answer is in the question, it is obvious that in a village of 10 occupants there will be x amount of crime. In a town of 1000 people there will be an exponentially proportionate amount of x crime. In a city of 1 million - yadda yadda yadda"

thanks a lot

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Tue 04 Sep, 2007 8:23 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
BettyPekker wrote:

That is one way to look at it. I think the following can also be the case. Because there are more people to the square metre, there are more external factors that lead people to violence. Therefore there can be more violence then in the equasion you mention above. (Like a lot unemployement, drugabuse, etc.) Your case seems logical,i wonder if it's ever been proved....*goes to search the net*
http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=New+York&s1=NY&c2=Los+Angeles&s2=CA
This is sort of what i meant. (Don't know how viable this research is....got to admit)
EDIT: to back this up read Moray's post futher along the thread:)

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Tue 04 Sep, 2007 8:42 PM Quote
I don't agree with this statement as a huge city like Singapore has virtually no criminality but then again, there are police forces everywhere.

What i know for a fact is that human beings become all the more violent if living in human made environment (huge buildings, lots of concrete and lack of green spaces likes squares of parks).

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Tue 04 Sep, 2007 8:59 PM Quote
I think general happiness levels are the main thing - you don't go and beat someone up if you're happy as it is. Things like overcrowding probably cause unhappiness, but I can't see why just a big city does.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:01 PM