Travis

New Member with Message for the Band!
TheFourJs
TheFourJs Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 6:00 AM Quote
Dear Travis,
I hope that you get this message…this is my first time ever on an online Messageboard!

My husband and I have been fans of your music for several years. We have all the CDs and you even inspired me to learn how to play guitar! Why Does It Always Rain On Me and Sing are the only two songs that I can play with ease! We often talk about how awesome it would be if you did an acoustic set at our humble abode in L.A. We continue to dream :)

Anyhow, I thought that you would get a kick out of knowing that our 4-year old son is a huge Travis fan!! The profile information for TheFourJs is actually representative of my son’s interests, but our whole family (who we call TheFourJs) loves Travis. He loves ‘The Boy With No Name’ and can sing all the songs on the CD! And, during this past school year (he attended pre-school three days a week) he would request to hear “The Kick Drum Song” (his name for Eyes Wide Open) and “Deep In My Heart” (for My Eyes) EVERY SINGLE TIME we drove to school! Then, after watching your 2007 KCRW performance online and hearing Dougie’s backing vocals on Selfish Jean, he would ask to hear “Cheers”. And, he wanted to hear All I Want To Do Is Rock to hear “Andy’s funny guitar”.

He listens to your music so intently that he picks out the vocal harmony, the bass lines, the different instruments…at 4 years old! I mean, he’s no prodigy, but his musical mind has definitely been stimulated by you guys. Yes, for a time, his toddler potty-mouth would switch up the words to your songs…”Deep in my poo, I’m afraid of pooing…”, but his timing and rhythm and memory for melody is amazing…especially at his age. Yes, he likes other music and bands as well, but for some reason, Travis is the music that has drawn him in the most. (Maybe because Fran kind of looks like his daddy.)

If I have a chance I will try to get some video of our son singing your songs, pretending to be Fran, then Neil, then Dougie, then Andy. Believe me, I didn’t put him through the School of Travis and make him learn all about you. He asked “Who’s this man singing?” so I showed him the CD sleeve. Then, it was “And, who’s that?”, “What does he play?”, etc. We have exposed him to a lot of your music and videos but did not know that he would be so impressed.

I don’t think that you’ll find many 4-year olds who say “Travis” when asked who their favorite band is. I think you guys should feel quite special about that 

So, if we never get to meet you and thank you in person, please accept this letter as a heartfelt thanks for being Travis and for sharing your music with us. Your songs have made us happy and will live forever in our family. We’re already digging the new music and can’t wait to hear it live. And, although I have a few reservations about taking a 4-year old to a late-night concert, we will definitely try to be at your next gig in and/or near Los Angeles.

We love you!!

Juddy (MomJ of TheFourJs)

Re: New Member with Message for the Band!
Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 6:17 AM Quote
:) What a sweet story! Travis touches so many people's lives. I love your son's names for the songs, lol. Very cute.

Welcome to the messageboard! :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 6:50 AM Quote
Awww. That's wonderful. I read every word and it's a lovely story. And yes, great names for the songs. Haha! :) Hope you all get to meet the band one day. :)

akanksha
akanksha Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 9:32 AM Quote
Awww, that's amazing, lovely. I wish my family were like that, life would be exponentially more awesome coming home to people who share the same music taste :P

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 9:42 AM Quote
Hi Juddy and family! That's such a lovely message, I hope one of the band gets to read it. You're bringing your children up very well :) Are you going to the newly-announced LA show?

akanksha
akanksha Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 9:58 AM Quote
I forgot to add welcome to the board!!

Also, if your surname is Smith (probably not, but if it is...) then your son's name(and husband's, and yours for that matter) would be...J Smith! And voila, another link to Travis running in the family! Bwahaha.

Ok, that's pretty lame..(:

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 1:23 PM Quote
How fantastic. He has very good taste and as you say musical ability to recognise Travis as being a great Band :)

I have a cat who responds to Travis music too :) ( possibly cus I play Travis alot heehee ) but the sounds of Travis music very definately make the ears sit up . The day she sings I will let you kmow!

Welcome to the Board :)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 1:24 PM Quote
Sounds like a pretty awesome 4-year-old. I'd love to hear his My Eyes cover version, "My Poo", some time. xD

Oh, and welcome to the board!

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 1:53 PM Quote
Welcome to the board.

That is an awesome story. Sounds like your son could be a budding musician of some sort!!!! I hope you get to go to the LA show.

x

wdiarom
wdiarom Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 6:26 PM Quote
Oh!, It's wonderful how your child enjoys so much travis music (good ears at an early age, hehe ;) !!! ).

Welcome to the board and a big kiss to your sweet child!!!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 6:38 PM Quote
Aww, that's such a sweet story. Your kid rocks!!! :o)

TheFourJs
TheFourJs Posted Sun 19 Oct, 2008 8:48 AM Quote
Thank you all for the warm welcome! This was my very first post on a messageboard and I was pleasantly surprised by all of the nice responses. Travis fans are so cool!

Yes, I do hope that one of the band members reads my message. They need to know that they have fans younger than 8 years old! (The member profile date of birth only went up to the year 2000 when we signed up on the site.)

We ARE going to the Troubadour show in L.A. So excited!! My son won't be able to go. He'll have to wait for them to play a larger, all ages venue. Hopefully they will return next year so my son can go to the "Travis stage" as he calls it.

Thanks again for the kind words :)

Juddy (surname is not Smith)

singme0430
singme0430 Posted Sun 19 Oct, 2008 9:17 AM Quote
What a lovely message! Hope they'll read it. ;) By the way, I'm sorry to hear that your son can't go to the concert this time, but I wish all of you will go to a concert and also meet the band next year! Anyway welcome to the board!

frandougeil
frandougeil Posted Sun 19 Oct, 2008 10:02 AM Quote
What a lovely story and ur son is an adorable kid with good music taste!

Travis are coming to Troubadour in Los Angeles on Tuesday, November the 11th. So tt's good news for u the the 4J's coz then u can bring ur son to see them live=))

And welcome in welcome in ur welcome=DD

frandougeil
frandougeil Posted Sun 19 Oct, 2008 10:06 AM Quote
What a lovely story and ur son is an adorable kid with good music taste!

Travis are coming to Troubadour in Los Angeles on Tuesday, November the 11th. So tt's good news for u the 4J's coz then u can bring ur son to see them live=))

And welcome in welcome in ur welcome=DD

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:57 PM