Travis

This was on my mailbox today...
gaby
gaby Posted Mon 06 Oct, 2008 4:05 PM Quote
FRAN HEALY: 'I ILLEGALLY DOWNLOAD MUSIC'
TRAVIS frontman FRAN HEALY downloads music illegally - and doesn't feel guilty about it.
The rocker often steals music from the internet, but always buys an artist's CD if he likes what he hears.
And now, Healy has even urged fans to illegally download the band's new album Ode To J Smith.
He says, "I download music illegally but I will then go out and buy the album if it meets my standards. I need to have heard three good songs and no s**t before I make a purchase. That's my rule.
"I don't mind if anyone gets our album from the internet for free. I just want people to enjoy the music and have it out there. And I can say that without having to worry about any record company boss going mad because we are the record company."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/fran%20healy%20i%20illegally%20download%20music_1082633

Re: This was on my mailbox today...
MariaMak
MariaMak Posted Mon 06 Oct, 2008 4:25 PM Quote
Cool!
What happens nowadays if caught illegally downloading music?

I haven't done it in years. I learnt my lesson after the phonebill came, nearly 800euro for like 1 month cause of me leaving the dial up for hours .. oops!

TheInvisibleBoy
TheInvisibleBoy Posted Mon 06 Oct, 2008 4:27 PM Quote
Fran better not be getting into trouble for this, firstly he admitted downloading illegally but he buys the CD if he likes what he hears, I think that's fine, it's different if he didn't buy any CDs after illegally downloading, what's the point in wasting a tenner on a CD because of a single and then realising the other 9 or 10 songs are crap?

Anyway Fran even said that people can do it with Ode so it's not like he's a hypocrite who does it himself and doesn't want people doing it with his music. If Fran gets in trouble for this I think whoever is trying to get him into trouble is pretty pathetic.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 06 Oct, 2008 5:07 PM Quote
I think Fran's attitude is totally cool.
I do that myself: I listen to a few songs, see if I like what I hear, and if I do then I go and buy the album.
CDs in Argentina are too expensive to spend money on shitty music.

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Mon 06 Oct, 2008 5:16 PM Quote
I'm a bit of a scaredy cat about it all.

I used to download loads of stuff before buying, but it was on the news recently that the UK government are having a big crackdown on it.

rebekah
rebekah Posted Mon 06 Oct, 2008 7:01 PM Quote
ahahahahah (:

i think Frans got a point though..and atleast he buys it if he likes it :P

MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Mon 06 Oct, 2008 7:01 PM Quote
crackdown, pah!

2 words

needles-haystacks

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 06 Oct, 2008 7:11 PM Quote
it's legal here, so i dont have to worry about it.
You are allowed to download for personal use.
But i also buy a lot off itunes and buy many cds. And spend a lot importing cds of certain bands whose album comes out a month and a half later in North American *cough Travis cough*

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Mon 06 Oct, 2008 9:17 PM Quote
Fran´s rule is the same to me. I have to listen some songs and if i like them, i´ll buy album, not s**t!

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Mon 06 Oct, 2008 9:41 PM Quote
Expect our favourite singer to be arrested in a matter of days now... lol

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 06 Oct, 2008 9:43 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:

while i certainly dont want Fran arrested, it would kinda be hilarious and ironic if that was the reason.

RUTHIEBABE00
RUTHIEBABE00 Posted Tue 07 Oct, 2008 2:23 AM Quote
I have to say I think it was a brave thing that Fran said about this and I believe Robbie Williams has said same! I do like the idea of trying before you buy. The producers have to be even more careful about producing something fantastic to ensure that the listeners like it! No need to worry there Travis!! There is nothing worse than paying for an album since you like one song of a band... then it turns out to be complete c**p! Good on Fran and Robbie... try before you buy.. like a pair of jeans!!! When I want to support a film or a band I will without a doubt buy their stuff!!!!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 07 Oct, 2008 2:27 AM Quote

Lol! xD

In Argentina you're allowed to download music for personal use too.

RUTHIEBABE00
RUTHIEBABE00 Posted Tue 07 Oct, 2008 2:36 AM Quote

LOL Don't worry we'll all pitch in to bail you out Fran :P lol

auronsquall
auronsquall Posted Tue 07 Oct, 2008 7:08 AM Quote
this totally reminds me of that scene in transformers where the guy surrenders by saying "i've only pirated 10000 songs on the internet!" lol

i think Fran's attitude is really the realistic and should be the norm for how downloading is dealt with. I usually do the same, i mean thats just the same thing as goign to a record shop and sampling a CD, if i havent heard it, why would i buy it? (besides O2J Smith of course haha)

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:02 PM