Travis

Re: Stupid things you've heard
lilly
lilly Posted Fri 24 Aug, 2007 11:22 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
at the airport, i once talked to an american lady who seemed ok till she declared "George W is great - he's making the world a safer place".

it's like listening to ppl talking about places they've never been - they always say "in those countries...." and then plenty of rubbish.

yeah, that can be really annoying...but interesting as well! I mean, "country-stereotypes" are something very interesting to listen to, because they always reveal sth about the speaker and the country he/she is talking about ;)

isma
isma Posted Fri 24 Aug, 2007 11:27 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
and another one, from an old boss coming back from holidaying in Senegal : "They are so black out there !"

Seriously ? o_O

Tu travaillais ou à l'époque ?

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Fri 24 Aug, 2007 11:30 PM Quote
isma wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:
and another one, from an old boss coming back from holidaying in Senegal : "They are so black out there !"

Seriously ? o_O

Tu travaillais ou à l'époque ?

dans une grosse boite

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Fri 24 Aug, 2007 11:31 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:
at the airport, i once talked to an american lady who seemed ok till she declared "George W is great - he's making the world a safer place".

it's like listening to ppl talking about places they've never been - they always say "in those countries...." and then plenty of rubbish.

yeah, that can be really annoying...but interesting as well! I mean, "country-stereotypes" are something very interesting to listen to, because they always reveal sth about the speaker and the country he/she is talking about ;)

i know - my own boss was czech and so many french ppl asked him how it was to live in Rumania...

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Fri 24 Aug, 2007 11:33 PM Quote
Edith Cresson, french Prime Minister in the early 90's famously stated that 1 ou of 4 english men was gay.

I tell ya it wasn't fun to be a frog in England at the time.

LOL

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Sat 25 Aug, 2007 12:00 AM Quote
While having a drunk Fight Club moment with my cousin, she asks; "do you know if the book was written before or after the film was made?"... HAHAHAHAHA

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Sat 25 Aug, 2007 12:01 AM Quote
champagnesupernova wrote:
While having a drunk Fight Club moment with my cousin, she asks; "do you know if the book was written before or after the film was made?"... HAHAHAHAHA

lol that's classic!

lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Sat 25 Aug, 2007 12:45 AM Quote
paul_c wrote:

Her: "Belfast... that's in Ireland isn't it?"
Me: "Yeah"
Her: "Gosh! You're English is really good!"
Me: "Erm... thanks"

Didn't really know what to say to that...

I hope you walked away after that.
That's a pretty stupid thing to say even if English wasn't your native language.

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Sat 25 Aug, 2007 12:46 AM Quote
goosey_84 wrote:

lol that's classic!

Heh, yeah. But shhh, don't tell her I told you this! Lol

isma
isma Posted Sat 25 Aug, 2007 12:50 AM Quote
goosey_84 wrote:

lol that's classic!

That's very very dishonest! :-P

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Sat 25 Aug, 2007 1:04 AM Quote
isma wrote:
goosey_84 wrote:

lol that's classic!

That's very very dishonest! :-P

White lie! :-P

Moray
Moray Posted Sat 25 Aug, 2007 1:42 AM Quote

Barmaid: Hey didn't I stay with you in halls in first year?
Me: Nope, I wasn't in halls in first year
Barmaid: Really?
Me: Yeah
Barmaid: Wow, well you look really like someone I know then
Me: He must be a handsome chap then. <Nod, Wink, salute come point from the head>

This was just followed by a stunned silence really.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 25 Aug, 2007 4:31 AM Quote
This is from awhile ago but soon after Baz Luhrman's "Romeo + Juliet" was released I overheard these two girls talking about how much they liked it. One was saying how happy they were that they had changed the language and "taken out all those 'thees' and 'thous'"

I couldn't believe that they were so dense that they didn't realize the cast was speaking in Elizabethan English but at the same time it was quite a compliment that it flowed so well they didn't even notice.

feri
feri Posted Sun 26 Aug, 2007 9:05 PM Quote
This>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww
Why a 5th of Americans can't locate USA on a map?

'I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uhmmm, some people out there in our nation don’t have maps and uh, I believe that our, I, education like such as uh, South Africa, and uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uhhh, our education over here in the US should help the US, uh, should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for us.'

isma
isma Posted Sun 26 Aug, 2007 9:09 PM Quote
'Let's be blunt - they need to stop talking shit most of the time.'

Mythical i must admit

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:53 PM