Travis

Re: The miracle power of prayer....?
strongbow1
strongbow1 Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 12:32 AM Quote
80 percent of these doctors you say beleive in the miracle of prayer but just how many of these actually use prayer to heal. Maybe its because they would rather blame god when one of their patients die under the knife (helps with the guilt).
The majority of people who beleive in the bible are hypocrites and brainwashed. The resurection of chrtist wasnt added until years later and theres no mention of Horus who were apparently worshipped by the egyptians 3000 bc, who was also said to be born on the 25th of december, also a virgin birth and named the king of kings and was also also crucified. Many more of these manmade virgin births were worshipped before christ.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 3:55 PM Quote
Well said.

Yes its all very convenient really for them.

They come out with a load of nonsense made up from totally thin air, persecute and torture anyone who marginally disagrees with them over 2000 years, (and more in case of the old testament), then only now when people are becoming more tolerant and outspoken and the church has less power, theyre asking US to prove THEM wrong?!
If I told you a load of junk like at the centre of the earth is a pot bellied pig who cooks potatoes all day to kep the earth warm, you'd ask me to prove it, and you'd tell me to shove off if I told you to prove ME wrong!

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 8:31 PM Quote
You know how annoying it is when people come to your door and try to convert you? Had it ever occured to you that it is really irritating when someone goes on about not believing? No? Just because they have a different opinion doesn't make them stupid, and a lot of people (including some of your posts on the previous page) don't know much about believing anyway.

Btw, I'll happily debate if it's fair, so think about ranting slightly less and you could have some interesting discussions with people :)

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 9:48 PM Quote
I don't try to convert people.

All I have done is (in admitedly long posts) comment on interractions I've had myself, and pointed out the distinct lack of logic in those experiences from other people. I haven't ranted - that would mean something particular would have to have provoked me and it would also bring on a lot of dispirate and poorly orchestrated points.

However if thats too much for you, heres the following:

Religeon (namely abrahamic) is evil and needs to be abolished. Its done far worse than its ever done good, its based on lies and nonsense, its prejudiced and discriminitive to the most repulsive degree, its completely sadistic an cruel, it numbs scientific progress, and contradicts itself from start to finish.
There is no excuse for believeing in something so whole-heartedly when there isn't an ounce of evidence to support any of the claims or demands.
have to go - laptop is about to battery-out!

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 01 Oct, 2008 10:10 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
I don't try to convert people.

All I have done is (in admitedly long posts) comment on interractions I've had myself, and pointed out the distinct lack of logic in those experiences from other people. I haven't ranted - that would mean something particular would have to have provoked me and it would also bring on a lot of dispirate and poorly orchestrated points.

However if thats too much for you, heres the following:

Religeon (namely abrahamic) is evil and needs to be abolished. Its done far worse than its ever done good, its based on lies and nonsense, its prejudiced and discriminitive to the most repulsive degree, its completely sadistic and cruel, it numbs scientific progress, and contradicts itself from start to finish.
There is no excuse for believeing in something so whole-heartedly when there isn't an ounce of evidence to support any of the claims or demands.
have to go - laptop is about to battery-out!

You're not actively converting, but by calling people prejudiced, discriminitive, sadistic and cruel you're not exactly making it easy to argue, are you? You're just being offensive.

Have you ever tried discussing religion with someone who practices it? There are a tiny minority who are prejudiced etc, but the vast majority are normal people who (I guess) have views much like your own on most things. Do you think that people blindly believe what their religion tells them to? Almost always, no! And the bible is certainly evidence, it's the validity of it you need to dispute.

I don't want an argument, so if you're just going to say the same thing again, I'll be off.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 7:12 AM Quote
Why is it offensive to point out fact?
During the middle ages, the pope "heard from god" that he should run the crusades - all of them - and whilst on the way the crusaders may loot, pillage, and rape any non-christian city the wish. Cruel discriminitive.
Apply the same to the witch-hunts, the spanish inquisition, Al-Quaida, Twin-towers, London Bombings. I could of course go on, but I guess I'm stiffling you as you dare not reply to these.

Calling a generality (as I didn't imply anyone inspecific) various politically and socially correct 'names' is not offensive - its fact-pointing.

To answer your question, I was and am the pianist for two churches in Scotland. I was brought up under the church of scotland with all their values, and one of my best friends is a reverend in perth where I get together with him to help in acts of charity (concerts etc). He also works at my university.

The reverend who took over from him in Angus used to be a biology teacher, and as he got older wanted a new degree so became a minister. I asked him if he finds the two conflicting, and is that why he changed, and he said no, and that anyone who takes genesis or the majority of the bible as true historical or scientific fact seriously needs to be locked away for mental treatment. And I agree.

The bible isn't the evidence for believing - just because dozens of people wrote a long book hundreds of years of the death of jesus because they claim 'god told me what to write' is not evidence for its claims. How do you explain the dead sea scrolls, the confessions of pope's over time about taking out and putting in bits to suit them whenever a conflict arrived? How do you explain the old testament and the fact that Jesus (according to the bible) calls himself jewish?

All they have is blind faith to go by - there is quite simply not a scrap of evidence to support otherwise.

Like I said before, I emplore these religeous people to prove any of it. I'm namely talking about such as evnagelists here who think that evolution is a myth, homosexuality is evil, islam is wrong etc.

You only believe in christianity by the merest of chances that the part of the gene pool your family occupies brought your birth into somewhere where christianity is accepted. What about the people 3000 years ago who believed in Zeus and Apollo and had never heard of Jesus - do they go to hell? And why does no one believe in them anymore? because they are old ideas that don't work anymore and don't ft in with daily life - they have travelled down the path of reality, to faith, to myth.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 8:05 AM Quote
Jesus has come to this thread....http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6224/vd09rpuh0j6pu2fm35v5oklwy6.gif

no, seriously, Talk about religion, or politic, never goes to a common point. You know, we all think different.
If you ask, i have grown on a house of "let's go to church on sunday" or catholic church. And personally, i don't like that. Now i don't go to church, and i'm completly disagree with catholic church around the world. But in the other hand, i believe in a god, but...i don't believe in miracles, or at leat never happen any to me. But to my parents they say yes (my name cames from there.... they say it was for sure that i was about not to born) but i don't know, i don't believe in miracles, and don't think prays are strong enough to create one. But that just my opinnion, based in my own experience.
But you know, it's really annoying people trying to sell their beliefs, saying they have the answers, but we don't have the answers, we just have beliefs. I hate people knocking on the door try to read you bible, about every religion, and they get mad if you don't want to.
I have lots of thoughs about this topic, but i just try to be open mind about any possibilitie, don't belong to any religion now, just believe haha XD

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 10:22 AM Quote
I do have a problem with Doctors/Lawyers/Politicians or any professionals in positions of responsibility having a deeply religious view as long as it is affecting their decision making, However it is possible for others (not very often admitedly) to distance their religious life and their career.

That said, when it comes to the actual reciever. Some people are "shallow" or "unconfident" to believe that they cannot do this themselves, studies have shown you heal quicker if you are in a "good" mood i.e. have something to believe in. Personally I think that it is nonsense to believe in a higher power whatever that power maybe. That said who am I or anyone else for that matter to take this belief away from them. If it helps them then what's the harm. I also saw a program on TV a while back about how the Athiest movement in America has become, for want of a better word, fundamentalist. They are ramming the belief that there is no god down peoples throats. This is also wrong and is just a religion of non-religion in my view.

I have attended AA meetings and one of the first things they tell you to do is to hand your life over to you higher power, usually God but if you do not believe in a god, they tell you alsorts of other hings can work, "a dead relative is watching over you", "earth the mother nature thingy sorta Gaia type stuff", "the kindness of the people in the room", "The good will of Society" again I think it's all bullshit, but then as many people on here know I am a huge cynic. I find that most of the people who attend AA become more concerned with the AA way of life than the sobriety, I mean thatthe exchange one "crutch" (alcohol) for another "crutch" the AA "religion". the amount of crap I was told at these meetings was unbelievable, "I'd never be able to comfortably drink again" really cause the guinness last night while watching the footbll tated feckin' lovely. You also had all manner of wankers and arseholes blaming being an alcoholic for their behaviour, it gave them absoloution. When you know fine well that even if they had been tee-total for life they would still be wankers and Arseholes, That is another problem I have with religion. For example if you confess your sins your priest punishes you and then you are absolved. Fuck no, it was you who committed these acts you fucking live with it !! And what is sin anyway it's a sin to covet your neighbours ass, says fucking who? God ? no, I don't think so. I think that may be the Church or oganized religion.

Religion is just an excuse to get people to do what they are told. When you have kids you threaten them with the Boogeyman or whatever, Religion is exactly the same do what you're told or you are going to the big bad fire. Now you must remember this was many years ago, when people were thick as pigshit as a general rule, but why do they still believe it? Is it because some people find it futile not to believe? Do they ask themselves is this(life) it? Personally I think yes this is it however I also think that life and science ar pretty fucking amazing things, look at the human body it's a beautifully engineered machine (over thousands of millenia admittedly).

Anyway that's my piece said.

Dubz

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 10:36 AM Quote
Well you can either believe that some magic man popped everything out of a lamp and we all appeared for no apparent reason on a pretty lousy planet that happens to be in a good spacial zone for the sustaining of life, in a simple one-star solar system, not particularly near anything of great observable character, then out there just in this galaxy alone, there are billions of stars with their own planets and systems, and probably life. On top of which there are billions of galaxies in this gigantic universe of spleandour.
Thinking about all that is far more exciting and interesting than some guy sat on a chair in 'the cloud's medaling in our day to day lives.

I also don't appreciate the idea of pinching an apple if I'm hungry and not near anyone civilised, and then not confessing about it (not that I would otherwise be catholic, i would be protestant) or I'll burn in hell forever, having my flesh peeled and scraped off and burnt before me and my organs and face burnt out with pokers, have me in agonising torture, and just when I think its over, I 'regenerate' and it happens again for the rest of eternity, which apparently is forver in god's eyes. (note I'm not approaching the word god as a proper noun as he does not exist, so no capital letter for him)

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 12:23 PM Quote
dubz

i had no idea about that aa stuff trying to praise god etc - thats REALLY scare and a bit of a last straw for me. its none of their business - they should be helping you psychologically as part of group therapy meeting others in the same boat.

I think I'll use that in my next debate - cheers

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 10:49 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:

Sorry, it's too late for me to read the rest, but I'd just like to point out that I can't see any more evidence that God doesn't exist than that God does exist, so where you're getting this fact from I don't know. If you have more information than us, feel free to sell it to the Daily Mail and make millions.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 12:32 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
DavesUrMan wrote:

Sorry, it's too late for me to read the rest, but I'd just like to point out that I can't see any more evidence that God doesn't exist than that God does exist, so where you're getting this fact from I don't know. If you have more information than us, feel free to sell it to the Daily Mail and make millions.

Hi

You've misread - if you recall, you told me I was being offensive by pointing out the hundreds of terrible acts the church has imposed on the world, and stating that these acts were the result of descrimiation, racism, sexism, megalomania, cruelty etc. These things are FACT - these things DID happen, and these things WERE the result of the above. You seem to think I'm claiming its a fact that god doesn't exist - which I am not and did not.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 12:39 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:

I can't see any more evidence that God doesn't exist than that God does exist

Right what you've got there is Pascal's wager - where he states that there is a 50% chance of god existing v god not existing, so you may as well believe to avoid the 50% chance of going to hell.

This isn't true - if you do the weighing up this way, you have to speculate in all areas. For the sake of argument, You have to say two arguments 50% god exists 50% he doesnt. Then you have to, on the god does exist part, take into account hinduism, sikhism, budhism, islam, judaism and all the rest of them and divide that part up - so by your logic theres probably about an average 3% chance of the christian god existing. Thats not taking into account polytheistic gods where there are many gods in one religeon, thus diminishing your chance.

All of these religeons believe they are 100% right.

What you really have to do is weigh up in a repeatable experiment the evidence that what the bible says is true, v the evidence that contradicts. The bible says it is the word of god and infallible, and all you have to do is look at genesis in the first 20 lines and see how many awful mistakes there are given all we know about orbits and the creation of planets to see that the chance of god existing mathematically les than 50%.

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 5:49 PM