Travis

Broken Mirror
travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 8:51 PM Quote
Call me radical,weird,but contrary to the popular thoughts on the board,I love this song,it has actually become my fav on the whole album after a couple of listens.
Are there anyone who also digs the song,i wonder..

Re: Broken Mirror
the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 9:14 PM Quote
Yes, I love Broken Mirror, it has a LWCT style chord pattern which repeats through much of the song (not the chorus though). It's floaty and atmospheric, read the studio diary by Dougie*:

we set up for an atmospheric evening doing the mean and moody "Broken Mirror". This tune is pretty straight forward to play but it's all about feel. The lights are low, the wine is poured and a little cigarette smoke is provided by Nick...

I love Fran's high vocal, there's a very big range on this record from high falsetto to very low. Often in the same line (see much of Broken Mirror).

*thanks to GladSadMad for amalgamating the diaries here

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:55 PM Quote
Against my better judgement, it's starting to grow on me.

When I first heard the sample I thought it was the dullest thing ever. When I heard the full song I confirmed in my head that it was indeed the dullest thing ever. Worse than cabbage or Dermot O'Leary.

But it's so atmospheric, it floats along in this quite eerily elegant way, like 'The Sea' somehow, though bits of it remind of of Out In Space and LWCT, too.

Dunno, I'm still on the fence but I can see myself liking it eventually. Slow grower.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 12:13 AM Quote
I've picked this one up from the word 'go' really. Had it in my head more than anything else. It has the edge of Paperclips, I particularly like from around 2.20, that repetitive melody that dominates the rest of the song.

OHMEATPIES
OHMEATPIES Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 1:24 AM Quote
I kind of scared the first time I listened to it,
but after a couple times, I got used to it.
Reminded me of Paperclips, which I loved.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 10:19 AM