Travis

Re: Hey, hey hockey fans!
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 13 Jun, 2009 3:16 PM Quote
There is no joy in Hockeytown....

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 13 Jun, 2009 6:56 PM Quote
...especially for Lidstrom, who had surgery on his...bits.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 13 Jun, 2009 7:09 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

From the Detroit Free Press:
"While teammates played Game 4 against Chicago, Red Wings defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom was undergoing surgery after getting speared in the testicles by Patrick Sharp in Game 3."

The guy who speared him was named Sharp? Ironic. Painful, but ironic.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 13 Jun, 2009 7:23 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
minnmess wrote:

From the Detroit Free Press:
"While teammates played Game 4 against Chicago, Red Wings defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom was undergoing surgery after getting speared in the testicles by Patrick Sharp in Game 3."

The guy who speared him was named Sharp? Ironic. Painful, but ironic.

Maybe he got STABBED!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 14 Jun, 2009 3:24 AM Quote
I'm so depressed about my Wingies. I'm most upset for Ozzie. If we would have won I'm sure he would have got the Conn Smythe and would be much more of a shoe-in for the Hall Of Fame, but now all we're going to hear is this "he's just an average goalie on a great team" BS. I'm sick of it! The dude can step it up in the playoffs and he rules. I don't care what anyone says, he's the man. It's just so heartbreaking to get that far and be down one stinkin' goal and then hit the crossbar with minutes to go. We were tired, we were badly injured and we just ran outta gas. The Wings beat the Wings more than the Pens beat the Wings. F Crosby! Most overrated piece of garbage, whiney baby to ever play the game. Datsyuk and Zetterberg have more skill in their pinky fingure. Sorry they're not Canadian, stupid NHL. F the Pens. I hope Bettman is happy.

Bring on next season!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sun 14 Jun, 2009 6:02 AM Quote
the ref let some shit slide , wtf ?

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 15 Jun, 2009 6:25 AM Quote
Check this out! Excuse my language, but could Crosby be any more of a little bitch? Honestly!!!! He's pathetic.

(Thanks Ric for the link)

From Yahoo News...

DETROIT (AP)—The Red Wings can accept that Pittsburgh is the Stanley Cup champion. Getting snubbed by Sidney Crosby(notes) is another matter.

After watching Pittsburgh hoist the Cup on Detroit’s ice, the Red Wings lined up to shake hands with the Penguins as is custom in the NHL playoffs.

Detroit captain Nicklas Lidstrom(notes) was up front, followed by alternate captain Kris Draper(notes), congratulating many of the new champions while waiting for Pittsburgh’s captain.

“Nick was waiting and waiting, and Crosby didn’t come over to shake his hand,” Draper told an Associated Press reporter a couple hours later as he was leaving Joe Louis Arena. “That’s ridiculous, especially as their captain, and make sure you write that I said that!”

ADVERTISEMENT

Crosby eventually skated over to shake hands with the Red Wings, but many had already headed for the dressing room. Detroit forward Johan Franzen(notes) and Crosby exchanged words and Crosby then shook hands with goaltender Chris Osgood(notes) and some other Detroit players.

The Penguins were unhappy with the accusation, especially since Crosby was photographed going through the line.

“Nobody respects the traditions of hockey more than Sidney Crosby,” team vice president Tom McMillan said. “It was a young team celebrating its first Cup and some of the guys might have been a little late getting into the handshake line.”

The losing team almost always leaves the ice quickly following an elimination loss, especially during the finals, and it was uncertain how long Lidstrom waited.

Pittsburgh didn’t need Crosby to finish off the Red Wings, beating them 2-1 in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals without the superstar healthy enough to play for the whole game.

Detroit was bitter about blowing 2-0 and 3-2 leads in the series, but the previous champions gave the Penguins their due.

“You’ve got to give them credit,” Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said.

Goaltender Chris Osgood agreed.

“We’re not stunned,” he said. “They had a good team.”

The Red Wings were good, too, just not good enough to overcome hurt or misfiring stars in the finals.

They swept Columbus, survived a seven-game series against Anaheim and skated past Chicago in five games as MVP finalist Pavel Datsyuk(notes) missed several games with a foot injury and Marian Hossa(notes) scoring in just three games.

But the Red Wings couldn’t hold on to hoist the Cup for the second straight year and fifth time in 12 seasons when Datsyuk was out early in the finals and Hossa mustered only three assists against his former teammates.

“Any time you win three games in a final, you have a chance,” Babcock said. “We just didn’t have enough to get it done.

“The guys that were injured on our team this year never got their game back to the level it could be. And they were significant players for us.”

Hossa wasn’t hurt.

He was just ineffective.

Hossa seemed to crumble in the spotlight after turning down a lucrative, long-term contract last summer to stay with the runner-up Penguins to take a one-season shot at the Cup with the defending champions.

Hossa is eligible to be an unrestricted free agent again, but he wasn’t ready to talk about his plans.

“I can’t think about that now,” he said. “I’m sure we’ll have some talks.”

The Red Wings will have some interesting decisions to make this offseason because they probably can’t keep Hossa along with key free agents such as Jiri Hudler(notes), Mikael Samuelsson(notes), Tomas Kopecky(notes) and Ville Leino(notes).

Detroit general manager Ken Holland answered some of the franchise’s questions during the regular season by signing Henrik Zetterberg(notes) to a contract through the 2020-21 season and Franzen to an 11-year contract.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said the deals, which are set up to pay the players much less toward the end of the contracts, don’t circumvent the salary cap.

“The rules allow what the Red Wings have done,” Bettman said during the playoffs. “But if I was running a team, which I’m not, I would opt for shorter-term contracts.

“If they keep doing it, some of the contracts will probably turn out to be great and some will lead to people scratching their heads.”

Zetterberg likes his team’s chances of competing for a championship next June and in the years to come.

“We still have a good team,” Zetterberg said shortly after shaving his two-month thick beard. “It’s going to make us stronger. We’ve got a great group of guys here that are going to be around for a number of years.”

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 15 Jun, 2009 2:18 PM Quote
i hope datsyuk gets mvp

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 15 Jun, 2009 5:28 PM Quote
Nah, Malkin was MVP. Datsyuk was out for too many games to be considered. On the Wings, I think our best players were Zetterberg and Osgood for sure. Cleary also had a great playoff. As did Helm. That kid is gonna be a star. He's amazing!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 16 Jun, 2009 3:52 AM Quote
As if a stupid judge rejected the Coyotes move to Canada! Hamilton was the front runner, which I dont really agree with. I dont know that the city can support a team but they should not be in Arizona! no one cares. I say bring the team back to Winnipeg.
Stupid judge. Stupid Bettman.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 16 Jun, 2009 7:49 AM Quote
so what do you think , should the redwings try and keep Hossa ? I like Cleary too !

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 16 Jun, 2009 4:28 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
As if a stupid judge rejected the Coyotes move to Canada! Hamilton was the front runner, which I dont really agree with. I dont know that the city can support a team but they should not be in Arizona! no one cares. I say bring the team back to Winnipeg.
Stupid judge. Stupid Bettman.

I heard something about Windsor as well. That'd be cool. Anything is better than Arizona!!!! They don't even have grass there, let alone ice!!! It's just not right. I still think a team in Seattle would be pretty cool as well.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 16 Jun, 2009 5:38 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:

I heard something about Windsor as well. That'd be cool. Anything is better than Arizona!!!! They don't even have grass there, let alone ice!!! It's just not right. I still think a team in Seattle would be pretty cool as well.

doesn't it snow in Arizona ?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 16 Jun, 2009 7:09 PM Quote
Winnipeg is my first choice. Out East would be cool too.

My friend that lives in Phoenix, and who has seasons tickets, is trying to tell me they have a lot of fans. Their attandance is 28th in the league! So..if they have a lot of fans, they are pretty crappy ones who arent willing to go to games and have made their team bankrupt.

Make it Seven.

Darran
Darran Posted Tue 16 Jun, 2009 7:13 PM Quote
Oh, I just noticed the Redwings lost in Game 7 in Detroit!

Wowzers.

Pages Previous 1...60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:41 AM