Travis

   
Re: Hey, hey hockey fans!
Nikki
Posts: 7519
Nikki Posted Sun 18 Jan, 2009 7:30 PM Quote
OK! I officially hate Mike Milbury more than Barry Melrose. He’s the worst NHL commentator EVER.

I'm sitting here with my brother watching the afternoon hockey game on NBC, New York Rangers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins. During the intermission, Pierre McGuire and Mike Milbury were discussing Pittsburgh’s troubles recently (they've only won 4 of their last 10) and Milbury just said, AND I QUOTE, "They're nowhere near the team they were last spring when they were Stanley Cup Champions"...then they went on to say "They have a Stanley Cup hangover"!!!!!! WHAT???? WHO WON THE CUP??????? I believe it was DETRIOT, you assclowns! It’s one thing to say they have a hangover from making it to the finals, but they actually said CHAMPIONS. If the playoffs started today, Pittsburgh wouldn't even make it. I hope Crosby breaks his freakin' leg.
 
Re: Hey, hey hockey fans!
ricv64
Posts: 10115
ricv64 Posted Sun 18 Jan, 2009 8:02 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I didn't do laundry. I'm so sorry. I fell asleep.


i'm ok with it but i feel asleep too
 
Re: Hey, hey hockey fans!
minnmess
Posts: 8142
minnmess Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 6:20 PM Quote
I've never been his biggest fan, but this is just devestating. Pat Burns has been diagnosed with cancer for the 3rd time since 2004. Colon, liver and now lung. So sad.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=264099&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_main
 
Re: Hey, hey hockey fans!
Turtleneck
Posts: 7404
Turtleneck Posted Tue 27 Jan, 2009 3:05 PM Quote
I haven't been keeping up lately since the last several games have been on since my beddie-bye time. I heard this morning that Lidstrom and Datsyuk are suspended for tonight's game? Really? Why?
 
Re: Hey, hey hockey fans!
minnmess
Posts: 8142
minnmess Posted Tue 27 Jan, 2009 4:22 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I haven't been keeping up lately since the last several games have been on since my beddie-bye time. I heard this morning that Lidstrom and Datsyuk are suspended for tonight's game? Really? Why?


Because they skipped the all star game. You are only "allowed" to for legitimate reasons, so to crack down on people skipping it, you are supposed to have missed either the game before the all star break, or the game after. So since they didnt miss the game before, they have to miss the game after. I think this is the first time they are actually enforcing it.
 
Re: Hey, hey hockey fans!
Turtleneck
Posts: 7404
Turtleneck Posted Tue 27 Jan, 2009 4:43 PM Quote
Why did they skip it?
 
Re: Hey, hey hockey fans!
Nikki
Posts: 7519
Nikki Posted Tue 27 Jan, 2009 4:59 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Why did they skip it?


Datsyuk did leave the last game before the All Star break early, so he might have had some sort of minor injury. I'm not sure if Lidstrom had one or if he was faking it, but the most important thing is winning and bringing the cup back to Hockeytown. If playing in a pointless All Star game is going to aggravate a lingering injury, then I'm happy with the decision they made. They are our two most valuable players this season, without a doubt.
 
Re: Hey, hey hockey fans!
minnmess
Posts: 8142
minnmess Posted Tue 27 Jan, 2009 5:12 PM Quote
A lot of players skip it. Its pretty exciting for young players, or their first time at the all star game, but a lot would just prefer to have the 4 or 5 day break. And in some cases, the management actually asks them to skip it. Like nikki said, risking injuries and stuff. It is basically a 3 day party, so while it can be fun, in the middle of the season some would just rather the time off. And the All Star game isnt all that exciting anymore. Although the shootout win by the East with Kovolev scoring in Montreal was pretty cool.

But, generally the protocol is to ask the league before hand to not select you (some players are voted in, some are selected by the league). They prefer that that someone voting in, pulling out. Just bad PR. But I understand why players do it.
 
Re: Hey, hey hockey fans!
Nikki
Posts: 7519
Nikki Posted Tue 27 Jan, 2009 5:19 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
A lot of players skip it. Its pretty exciting for young players, or their first time at the all star game, but a lot would just prefer to have the 4 or 5 day break. And in some cases, the management actually asks them to skip it. Like nikki said, risking injuries and stuff. It is basically a 3 day party, so while it can be fun, in the middle of the season some would just rather the time off. And the All Star game isnt all that exciting anymore. Although the shootout win by the East with Kovolev scoring in Montreal was pretty cool.

But, generally the protocol is to ask the league before hand to not select you (some players are voted in, some are selected by the league). They prefer that that someone voting in, pulling out. Just bad PR. But I understand why players do it.


But go figure this is the first time the NHL chooses to enforce it. Of course it's against the Wings! We get shit on a lot by the league. I'm used to it now. Whatever, we're still awesome.
 
Re: Hey, hey hockey fans!
Turtleneck
Posts: 7404
Turtleneck Posted Tue 27 Jan, 2009 5:22 PM Quote
Rachel wore her new Red Wings shirt today to support the team. She looked so cute!
 
Re: Hey, hey hockey fans!
minnmess
Posts: 8142
minnmess Posted Tue 27 Jan, 2009 5:29 PM Quote
This made me laugh. It's a snippet from an article in the Ottawa Citizen by a guy who also doesnt support the suspension:
So, the NHL decides to get rough, as it threatened, with players who pass on the NHL All-Star Game due to injury?

Fine.

Then do just that.

Fine them.

Make them go to their room.

Make them each write a 1,000-word essay on why they love the NHL All-Star Game.


oh, and Duthie's recap of the all star weekend. Funny stuff
http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/duthie/default.aspx
 
Re: Hey, hey hockey fans!
ricv64
Posts: 10115
ricv64 Posted Tue 27 Jan, 2009 5:34 PM Quote
hey i'm too lazy to look it up so please post the standings ?
 
Re: Hey, hey hockey fans!
Nikki
Posts: 7519
Nikki Posted Tue 27 Jan, 2009 5:38 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Rachel wore her new Red Wings shirt today to support the team. She looked so cute!


Cuteness. :)
 
Re: Hey, hey hockey fans!
Nikki
Posts: 7519
Nikki Posted Tue 27 Jan, 2009 5:47 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
This made me laugh. It's a snippet from an article in the Ottawa Citizen by a guy who also doesnt support the suspension:
So, the NHL decides to get rough, as it threatened, with players who pass on the NHL All-Star Game due to injury?

Fine.

Then do just that.

Fine them.

Make them go to their room.

Make them each write a 1,000-word essay on why they love the NHL All-Star Game.


oh, and Duthie's recap of the all star weekend. Funny stuff
http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/duthie/default.aspx


Duthie rules! Haha...

"ALL-STAR-ITIS: A SERIOUS NHL CONDITION
By James Duthie

Strange, isn’t it, that every season, right before the All-Star game, a few stars suddenly pull groins or tweak knees or develop some other unknown “upper-body injury” (Loose eyelash? Pimple? Belly-button lint accumulation?) Medical researchers really need to explore this phenomenon, known as AllStaritis.

No, I’m not talking about Sidney Crosby, who may pull out of the game. Crosby wants to go, but is being talked out of it by doctors and Penguins management. And I’m not talking about Nik Lidstrom. He has gone to the All-Star game nine straight years, so if the classy star says he needs some time off, he probably needs some time off."

 
Re: Hey, hey hockey fans!
minnmess
Posts: 8142
minnmess Posted Tue 27 Jan, 2009 6:05 PM Quote
i liked the newest one where he called Montreal's love of hockey "slalkerish."
hehe, it's like me! It is the non dangerous kinda stalker though.

The dude from Jay and Silent Bob was being interviewed on the radio on my drive in to work today and he has this weird love of Canada (degrassi and hockey especially). He said he had just watched this mini series called Hockey: A Peoples History from...2002 i think, and he wanted to go around to all Canadians and apologize for saying we liked hockey. "You guys LOVE hockey. It like, formed your nation, man! I teared up a few times watching it" Yup, thats us. And he was joking that they should make a new one based on the last 7 years, even though the first one covered like 200 years. "So, one day Brendan Shanahan drove to the arena. It was a long drive."
 
Pages Previous 1...40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 Next All Times GMT Current Time 4:42 PM
Post Reply