minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 12:58 PM Quote
how is everyone doing down there?

Re: Hurricane Ike
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 1:41 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
how is everyone doing down there?

I tried to call my mom (the only one of my peeps who is totally on her own) and her landline is down. I called her cell but she didn't answer. I'm not too worried though.

It's not like where she is is underwater or anything.

EDIT: I just tried to call my dad (they're divorced by the way) and he answered and said hi but then we got disconnected. No surprise, even the cell connection are wacky so who knows if it's even really ringing on her end.

I'm irritated at the people who were going to "ride it out" are now begging to be rescued. You were warned people!! Now police have to risk their lives and resources have to deal with their dumb choices.

I've lived in Florida or Texas most of my life and so hurricanes (and tornadoes!) are a big part of life. I guess you just get used to it. It's a good exercise in realizing how little control you have in the world.

By the way it's very dark outside and slightly windy but I think it'll be blowing near us this afternoon.

My friend volunteers with the Red Cross and was at an evacuation center last night and this morning so I'm sure they'll be some stories.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 2:18 PM Quote
Just spoke briefly with both of my parents (cell phones keep cutting off). They're without power but otherwise fine. At least where they are isn't so bad- no flooding.

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 3:31 PM Quote
I am happy to hear that they are fine:)

From what I can see on the tv there is structural damage only, luckily nothing catastrophic. Well, we will get the full picture tomorrow I guess. I hope everybody is fine.

I am in New Orleans right now. We had it really light here (this time), wind and showers only.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 3:56 PM Quote
Glad to hear everyone is safe.

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 4:36 PM Quote
I can't get a hold of anyone which worries me a bit. I hate being stuck in WA! I did get an email from my sister at 7:30 their time saying that the power is out and they lost one side of their fence, but other than that, they are ok. From the little bit I've seen on the news, it looks like Ike wasn't as bad as they were preparing for. I just hope someone calls or emails soon.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 4:46 PM Quote
carlottarocks wrote:
I can't get a hold of anyone which worries me a bit. I hate being stuck in WA! I did get an email from my sister at 7:30 their time saying that the power is out and they lost one side of their fence, but other than that, they are ok. From the little bit I've seen on the news, it looks like Ike wasn't as bad as they were preparing for. I just hope someone calls or emails soon.

I'm sure their power is out but they're otherwise fine. They're in the Woodlands, right? Like I said even my parents' cell phones are in and out.

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 5:23 PM Quote
Anne, I'm glad to hear everyone is safe on your end. I hope everyone else manages to get in contact with their family and friends and all's well!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 5:47 PM Quote
I see the gas stations didn't waste any time hiking up their prices 50¢ a gallon.

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 6:11 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I see the gas stations didn't waste any time hiking up their prices 50¢ a gallon.

Tell me about it. There was a rumor running around here on Thursday that prices were going to go up to $5.50 the next day. This understandably led to very crowded gas stations and a limit of 10 gallons per vehicle to prevent shortages.... oy....

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Sat 13 Sep, 2008 8:10 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
carlottarocks wrote:

I'm sure their power is out but they're otherwise fine. They're in the Woodlands, right? Like I said even my parents' cell phones are in and out.

I finally got through, everyone is fine. My folks are in the Copperfield area, NW side. They actually have more damage than my in laws in Meyerland, go figure. The in laws are only scared that their boat may be gone, but it's insured and not human :)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 14 Sep, 2008 12:13 AM Quote
stupid gas went up $15 cents a litre overnight! erg. Clearly the gas there now has been there long before the hurricane hit so dont hike my gas overnight and blame the hurricane! erg

and on another note, hope everyone is doing well!

Meridith
Meridith Posted Sun 14 Sep, 2008 12:19 AM Quote
ashleyb wrote:
Anne, I'm glad to hear everyone is safe on your end. I hope everyone else manages to get in contact with their family and friends and all's well!

Ditto!

Meridith
Meridith Posted Sun 14 Sep, 2008 12:53 AM Quote
carlottarocks wrote:
weirdmom wrote:
carlottarocks wrote:

I finally got through, everyone is fine. My folks are in the Copperfield area, NW side. They actually have more damage than my in laws in Meyerland, go figure. The in laws are only scared that their boat may be gone, but it's insured and not human :)

I'm glad to hear everyone is fine in your family too Carla. That must be hard to be so far away and unsure of what's going to happen.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 14 Sep, 2008 1:51 AM Quote
Just spoke to my father-in-law. They've heard that their house seems fine. One of their huge gorgeous trees is completely uprooted but at least when it fell it didn't hit the house so that's good.

They have no clue about their rental property in Galveston. It's a condo community overlooking the water (so beach, sea wall, street, and then their place). It shouldn't be flooded since it's on the 2nd floor but whether the building withstood the storm is unknown.

But like Carla said it's not human and it has insurance so whatever.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:54 AM