Travis

Something Anything - Commercial Hit or Flop?
Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 11 Sep, 2008 9:02 PM Quote
It's getting to that time now where Something Anything ought to be grabing people's attention, or at least trying. Perhaps predictably it's absent from the radio 1 playlist, but even the usually far more Travis-friendly radio 2 aren't featuring them on their new playlist commencing on the 13th.

Sure Travis were wanting to emulate the edgy, rocky sound of Good Feeling with their latest material, but I don't think they'd be as fond of emulating its chart success. I hope I'm wrong, but do you get the feeling this is going to be Travis' worst commercially received first single since the early days? Or at least, will it do what no first-single has done since Writing to Reach You and miss out on the top 10? I don't know, perhaps Closer wasn't on playlists a few days before its release either, but I have a feeling it probably was.

Re: Something Anything - Commercial Hit or Flop?
Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Thu 11 Sep, 2008 9:26 PM Quote
heart says hit, head says we're about to realise just how well Closer did getting into the top ten.

The top 40's not about music anymore, it's about fashion and on that basis I'm expecting it to struggle. The promotion/airplay so far hasn't given it a hope in hell. By far the least I can remember for a first single.

Craigyboy
Craigyboy Posted Thu 11 Sep, 2008 10:46 PM Quote
i want it to do well but i dont think it will, aint heard it get played anywhere i just dont think radio stations have been interested in the band on a whole since 12memories

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 11 Sep, 2008 11:06 PM Quote
I haven't heard it either , ( except once , on Ken Bruce weeks ago) .Theres such a lot of rubbish being played and as you say 'fashion'. I am channel hopping all the time when I am driving just to hear something decent. Why do people like to hear Will Young?!

It is frustrating . Mind you , I dont hear Keanes new one much either .( just a comparison!)

Travis do have the knack of getting their music chosen for backing and I think theres plenty on J.Smith to choose from there.

Its like someone needs to spark the flame ......I think they could do with some strong advertising to get the fire burning .

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:03 AM Quote
It won't be successful as easily as the latest Rihanna single (etc). They'll need to work that extra bit harder to make it a charting success. Goes for the album too. Will we see them on Jonathan Woss? Jools Holland? Advert? I think the answer to those questions makes a massive difference to whether it is a commercial hit or flop. The band don't have control over everything but they have enough control for the album to be given a fair chance.

1922 Posted Fri 12 Sep, 2008 1:05 AM Quote
I just checked itunes uk, and something anything is not available, even as a pre-order. The new Oasis album, due for release October 5th, is there. If itunes is one of the most popular download sites, how can a single succeed without even being available? Although, it may be available on Sept. 15th.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 12 Sep, 2008 1:11 PM Quote
Relax and enjoy the success (hopefully) of the new album. I never guage single chart performances as a measure of commerciality. For me it's the album every time. And even then, if I like it, I don't worry about what the rest of the world thinks.

If I did that, I'd be following Girls Aloud or other chart friendly acts. Shudder......

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Fri 12 Sep, 2008 1:46 PM Quote
I think the ideal scenario is that SA gives them a little foot in the door, maybe around #20 would be a good performance. Then the album comes out and Song to Self is released off the back of that to a lot greater commercial success and airplay.

To a degree a good record still speaks for itself in the album chart. If Ode is as good as people say, it should get noticed - and for me in StS it possesses the one thing TBWNBN and probably even 12 Memories didn't - a killer single.

TBWNN was a lovely album but I can kinda understand why it didn't have much staying power in the charts. After Closer, the singles nosedived. Selfish Jean & My Eyes were nice, but not classic singles in the vein of Driftwood, Writing to Reach You or WDIAROM. Think Song to Self is in that bracket myself. That could be THE selling point.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 18 Sep, 2008 6:09 PM Quote
Latest news of misery:

Something Anything still doesn't appear to be featured anywhere on BBC radio playlists. The single release isn't acknowledged on such 'new singles' lists as this. Oh and I'm not sure whether the itunes top songs list only update itself once a week along with the official chart, but otherwise the new single isn't even in the top 100. Hmm.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 18 Sep, 2008 6:11 PM Quote
Its obviously nothing to do with the quality of the song, its the weird and not so wonderful system thats in place.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 18 Sep, 2008 6:27 PM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:
Its obviously nothing to do with the quality of the song, its the weird and not so wonderful system thats in place.

Yeah the song deserves much better than this. If the band aren't really bothered about chart success etc I can understand that - such things aren't the point of music (although lets face is, Travis deserve a number 1 by now!). But what music is surely about is getting as many people as possible to listen to it and enjoy it, and that's not gonna happen when most people don't even know it exists. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/5-Confused.gif So it's a bit of a disappointing situation...

Craig
Craig Posted Thu 18 Sep, 2008 6:54 PM Quote
i think that SA won't get into the top ten, it would be a shame not to see it up there but as it seems unavailable in most high street shops. i went into my hmv in reading today and i could not find it anywhere. the top 40 chart is more about style and fashion and not about music these days, but i feel travis deserve a no 1!! altho the band are not intrested in success which i think is a really good thing. hopefully the album will be more widely available in the shops when its released

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 18 Sep, 2008 7:09 PM Quote
The 'single' is an advert in my opinion. An advert for an album. But you need to advertise the single for it to work. If the single does well, gives the album a greater chance. But SA doesn't need to perform well in the singles chart as long as it becomes a 'wow, Travis?!?!' song. It has to some extent but they need to get on Wossie or Jools etc soon for the album to hit top 5. :)

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Thu 18 Sep, 2008 7:23 PM Quote
It's not looking good really. I think as an 'advert' it's weak/non-existant performance bodes pretty badly for an album that deserves so much better.

I've grown to like SA, bit still think it was a totally bizarre decision to make it the first single. Can't help feeling it should have been Song to Self here too, which is infinitely stronger and with a bit of publicity could be a real hit. Acheiving that as single #2 following a (sadly it looks inevitable) complete non-event of a first single release....good luck with that.:(

The lack of promotion and airplay is really frustrating but it kinda feels like no-one's bothered this time and maybe they're happy with that at this stage. Please the fans, leave everyone else blissfully unaware they're still around. The Ocean Colour Scene strategy. I just really, really don't want that to happen to Travis.

ludwig
ludwig Posted Thu 18 Sep, 2008 8:24 PM Quote
Why don't you try to help? There are a number of things one can do. Email radio stations requesting they play Something Anything, put the song or video on your myspace page, email a youtube link to your friends etc. Here are some radio station pages where you can request the song. By the way, if you have a look around some of these sites, you'll see a lot of Travis stuff going on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/radcliffemaconie/contact.shtml

http://www.xfm.co.uk/article.asp?id=413640

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/evans/fridaymusic/fridaymusic.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/ross/contact.shtml

http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk/interact/contact_us/

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:14 AM