Travis

Re: Physke in America!
DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Thu 04 Sep, 2008 5:11 AM Quote
Don't you love the building? Haha, Maybe not, but I did. Even though I have to admit on occasion it did give me a bit of motion sickness walking up that main staircase. :D I find the best place to sleep is in the corner by the fashion design department and all the administrator's offices. It's nice and quiet up there and there's hardly any traffic I found. At least when I went it was. ;)

I went there from 1999 to like...2003, and never really graduated. I wasn't the best student when it came to non-art classes. Especially ones that involve comprehending post-modern theory. Blech.

physke
physke Posted Thu 04 Sep, 2008 5:29 AM Quote
DAKOTA wrote:
Don't you love the building? Haha, Maybe not, but I did. Even though I have to admit on occasion it did give me a bit of motion sickness walking up that main staircase. :D I find the best place to sleep is in the corner by the fashion design department and all the administrator's offices. It's nice and quiet up there and there's hardly any traffic I found. At least when I went it was. ;)

I went there from 1999 to like...2003, and never really graduated. I wasn't the best student when it came to non-art classes. Especially ones that involve comprehending post-modern theory. Blech.

The building is awesome but it has just been a couple of days since I came here and I went there just one time...so it seems a little bit complicated:)

were you undergrad or grad?

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Thu 04 Sep, 2008 5:38 AM Quote
Alas, I was just a lowly undergrad! :)

physke
physke Posted Thu 04 Sep, 2008 5:43 AM Quote
C'moooon do not underestimate yourself! So where do you live now?

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Thu 04 Sep, 2008 5:46 AM Quote
I live in Southern California (Los Angeles Area) and I love it. I do the art thing in my spare time, which is the way I like it actually. My job is just boring old Inventory control, but I like it for the most part. :D

physke
physke Posted Thu 04 Sep, 2008 5:54 AM Quote
DAKOTA wrote:
I live in Southern California (Los Angeles Area) and I love it. I do the art thing in my spare time, which is the way I like it actually. My job is just boring old Inventory control, but I like it for the most part. :D

California has a very nice weather, eh? Here I have lots of things to do outside but it is really hot that I am just scared to go outside:)

Is it stg like stock control? Anyways, you are doing the thing that you like! that's the important thing. I feel like I am gonna love my grad topic too. I hope I am not mistaken=)

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Thu 04 Sep, 2008 6:12 AM Quote
Ah, I work for a defense contractor. :D Basically I count grommets and make sure we have all the parts we need to build doodads and spare parts. It's interesting.

I talked to my Mom today, she said it's sooo humid over there! (I had to call in an order for Barqs Red Cream Soda, which I can't get in this part of the country, and it's sooo good! There's another recommendation, if you enjoy cream sodas :D )

It's boiling here too though, but just a little bit humid. I imagine it's like trying to breath underwater in Ohio right now! It was pretty bad when we were visiting in July!

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Thu 04 Sep, 2008 7:47 AM Quote
I can not believe that we are talking about DAAP here:) Salutes to Mr. Eisenman (the architect of the building)! Well done sir! I love that building, and I fell in love (with my husband) when I was a student in that building:)

I was in Cincinnati for my masters from 1996 to 1998. And 1996 was the opening year of the new building. All of the archi-stars were there! It was amaaaaaazing for a young architecture graduate from Turkey. I cannot believe that it has been 12 years...Now I feel old again:) I hope you will enjoy your time there Gozde!

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Thu 04 Sep, 2008 8:33 AM Quote
Hehe, I can't believe there are three of us here on the Travis board. Though most of my classes were in the old building. :D

I think we need a picture so everybody knows what we're talking about:

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2096/daap37oz2.jpg

:D Awww, DAAP! Good times.

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Thu 04 Sep, 2008 12:22 PM Quote
Aaah! There it is!

physke
physke Posted Thu 04 Sep, 2008 2:33 PM Quote
sebnemy wrote:
I can not believe that we are talking about DAAP here:) Salutes to Mr. Eisenman (the architect of the building)! Well done sir! I love that building, and I fell in love (with my husband) when I was a student in that building:)

I was in Cincinnati for my masters from 1996 to 1998. And 1996 was the opening year of the new building. All of the archi-stars were there! It was amaaaaaazing for a young architecture graduate from Turkey. I cannot believe that it has been 12 years...Now I feel old again:) I hope you will enjoy your time there Gozde!

C'mooooooooon you are a "young". You just can't feel old!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 04 Sep, 2008 2:37 PM Quote
Well, be sure to have some good corn on the cob from the heartland before it goes out of season.

Cincinnati has a couple nice art museums, the city museum and the Taft. Actually, Ohio has a lot of art museums! Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo and Cincinnati all have art museums.

Ohio really gets a bum rap for being exceedingly boring, but there really is a lot of cool stuff in Ohio. It is boring to travel in Ohio, though, because it's just...flat.

physke
physke Posted Thu 04 Sep, 2008 2:49 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Well, be sure to have some good corn on the cob from the heartland before it goes out of season.

Cincinnati has a couple nice art museums, the city museum and the Taft. Actually, Ohio has a lot of art museums! Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo and Cincinnati all have art museums.

Ohio really gets a bum rap for being exceedingly boring, but there really is a lot of cool stuff in Ohio. It is boring to travel in Ohio, though, because it's just...flat.

What do you mean by flat:) Cause the place where I live is reaaally steep:)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 04 Sep, 2008 2:53 PM Quote
physke wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

That's because you're getting close to Kentucky (I loooove Kentucky!). Most of Ohio is quite flat. An endless flat drive down Interstate 75.

physke
physke Posted Thu 04 Sep, 2008 2:57 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
physke wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

That's because you're getting close to Kentucky (I loooove Kentucky!). Most of Ohio is quite flat. An endless flat drive down Interstate 75.

oh really? Then it must be totally boring:) btw, I've been to Contemporary Art Museum of Zaha Hadid's on labor day. It was closed- of course. But I will go all of them...just after the weather starts to get colder:)

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:55 AM