Travis

Re: Blood donors of the world
SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 7:52 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
you can get paid to give blood???

some clinics do pay you and they use your blood for tests and research and stuff like that (or so they say)i almost sold my blood to them once but then i thought about it and realized that i would be working as a kind of guinea pig and then thought better of it, i mean my blood is sacred to me, it's really red and stuff,j/k but seriously to me there was something that just felt wrong with selling my blood

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 7:55 PM Quote
th74 wrote:
I'm on o negative type, and I donated blood regularly until they tested all the donors' platelet count. I have a freakishly high platelet count, so now I donate platelets. They literally call me every 2 weeks to make a donation, but I usually do it once a month. Platelets can't be stored like blood, so they need donors more often.

have you done that alyx machine? i did it twice and i felt really sick so i stopped

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 7:57 PM Quote
Here you get paid for plasma but not blood. I donated plasma once (I think I got paid $20) but it made me so sick and woozy. Very different reaction than blood (at least for me).

Peewee
Peewee Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 7:57 PM Quote
I have been asked many times but no way! I am REALLY grossed out by needles AND blood! So not good for me! Geez I faint if I even cut my finger :(

But I am: B+

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 7:59 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Here you get paid for plasma but not blood. I donated plasma once (I think I got paid $20) but it made me so sick and woozy. Very different reaction than blood (at least for me).

isn't it the worst feeling ever? i used that stupid alyx machine that takes platelets but then returns the rest of your blood, it does this like 6 times! so your body temp goes up and down for like 20 minutes, my body freaked out

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 8:01 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:
I have been asked many times but no way! I am REALLY grossed out by needles AND blood! So not good for me! Geez I faint if I even cut my finger :(

But I am: B+

i used to feel that way too but then i did it because a girl asked me to, love makes you do crazy things

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 8:05 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

Damn...maybe it's her plasma they want...whatever, as long as she can pay for Travis tickets instead of me, it's all good...

th74
th74 Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 8:09 PM Quote
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:
th74 wrote:
I'm on o negative type, and I donated blood regularly until they tested all the donors' platelet count. I have a freakishly high platelet count, so now I donate platelets. They literally call me every 2 weeks to make a donation, but I usually do it once a month. Platelets can't be stored like blood, so they need donors more often.

have you done that alyx machine? i did it twice and i felt really sick so i stopped

No, I don't think I have used that machine. The only time I felt sick was when they did a "triple", whatever that is. I don't do those anymore.

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 8:19 PM Quote
mozman68 wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

Damn...maybe it's her plasma they want...whatever, as long as she can pay for Travis tickets instead of me, it's all good...

That's the bottom line right, I hear you

mili
mili Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 9:46 PM Quote
There was some talk about donating mother's milk when I had my kids. One could give the excess milk (if there was any) to some newborns who can't be breastfed for one reason or another.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 9:49 PM Quote
double post

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 9:49 PM Quote
mili wrote:
There was some talk about donating mother's milk when I had my kids. One could give the excess milk (if there was any) to some newborns who can't be breastfed for one reason or another.

There is a milk bank here. I would have had I not been so mentally overwhelmed with life at that time.

They pasteurize it (I think) and then give it mainly to premies and babies that could really use that extra boost.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:22 PM Quote

I can't give blood in Ireland as I lived in the UK between 1987 and 1998, something to do with CJD.

but if I could I surely would, doo be doo be do be doooh

Dubz

Peewee
Peewee Posted Wed 03 Sep, 2008 4:51 PM Quote
See I have never heard of the CJD thing! Probably because I have never been near a blood bank of late.

Anyway, I felt good today because after reading this thread the other day I thought If I am not donating my blood atleast I can donate my body parts when I'm dead. So on the piece of paper for renewal of my driving license I ticked the boxes to donate my heart,lungs,pancreas,kidneys and lungs. Only thing I don't want to donate are my eyes (corneas)...I know it sounds silly but I want them intack! lmao

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 03 Sep, 2008 5:00 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:
See I have never heard of the CJD thing! Probably because I have never been near a blood bank of late.

Anyway, I felt good today because after reading this thread the other day I thought If I am not donating my blood atleast I can donate my body parts when I'm dead. So on the piece of paper for renewal of my driving license I ticked the boxes to donate my heart,lungs,pancreas,kidneys and lungs. Only thing I don't want to donate are my eyes (corneas)...I know it sounds silly but I want them intack! lmao

I did the same thing. You can have all except for eyes and skin. That seems creepy.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] All Times BST Current Time 4:05 AM