Travis

Single Review: CMU Daily
Travis Web Team
Travis Web Team Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 12:30 PM Quote
The CMU Daily recently reviewed Travis' forthcoming single Something Anything.

'Those Scottish indie rockers are back. And before we all sigh at the prospect of more indie pop rubbish, you'll be glad to know that these guys' electric guitars have been dusted down, plugged back in and maybe in their old age, Travis have re-discovered their inner youth. 'Something Anything' will be the first official release from their new album 'Ode To J Smith' and if this single is anything to go by, then we could be in for a little treat.

Released on their own Red Telephone Box label, this track is raw, coarse and straight to the point. For those who miss the Travis of the mid-90's, you'll be thoroughly pleased to hear they have truly returned.'

The single will be released on 7”, CD and as a download on the 15th September. Additional tracks include a cover of The Kinks classic Lola and two new songs all unavailable elsewhere.

You can pre-order the single at:

http://travis.trinitystreetdirect.com

Re: Single Review: CMU Daily
sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 1:50 PM Quote
Congratulations on a good review! We are all looking forward to the single and the new album.

After reading the review, however, I need to say this: there was nothing wrong nor lacking with the Travis of the late 90s and 2000s. When did anybody hear "indie pop rubbish" from Travis anyways?

Sarah-
Sarah- Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 3:02 PM Quote
it's a nice review but i'd like it better without that "indie pop rubbish" thing ... anyway ;)

lalalife86
lalalife86 Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 3:12 PM Quote
Yayy a great review! But yes I agree, what's with indie pop rubbish? It sounds so snobbish, and there were ABSOLUTELY no rubbish of any sort from Travis at all whether mid-90s, late 90s or 2000s! And I thought the usage of "old age" was a little odd too, to me at least. Obviously, Travis is not a new-ish band, but I certainly won't categorise them in terms of "old age"! That would be more like Rolling Stones or sth! lol

milos
milos Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 3:51 PM Quote
I don't like the review. You could say it's "positive" but just because the new album is different, there's no need the call the older ones "rubbish". Besides, i don't want the new songs to sound like mid-90's Travis, late-90's Travis or 00's Travis. I want them to sound like 2008 Travis. :)

milos
milos Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 3:53 PM Quote
And "old age" thing is another really pointless part. Alex Kapranos is older than Fran, but is anyone calling Franz Ferdinand "old age band"? :D

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 4:23 PM Quote
That's a good enough review for me, the comments about old Travis weren't too bad and they certainly like new Travis :D

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 4:49 PM Quote
I think people are coming down the wrong side when reading that comment. Be happy about the comment!!! Here, we have someone who obviously went off Travis but this has brought them back, in their eyes! It is an unbiased review. If it said Travis have always been great it wouldn't be so interesting.

I quite like reading someone say "oh my god, i didn't realise they had it in them." It's good news that people who thought negative about Travis, are now thinking positively.

Anyway, great stuff. Hopefully it will get more good reviews. And i don't think it is anywhere near the best on the album.

rebekah
rebekah Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 5:12 PM Quote
aww this is so lovely, finally they are getting the good press that they deserve! :D

milos
milos Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 5:12 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I think people are coming down the wrong side when reading that comment. Be happy about the comment!!! Here, we have someone who obviously went off Travis but this has brought them back, in their eyes! It is an unbiased review. If it said Travis have always been great it wouldn't be so interesting.

I quite like reading someone say "oh my god, i didn't realise they had it in them." It's good news that people who thought negative about Travis, are now thinking positively.

Anyway, great stuff. Hopefully it will get more good reviews. And i don't think it is anywhere near the best on the album.

Well if you look at it that way, i guess you're right! But it's not that i have problem with anyone not liking Travis. I just think that someone who writes reviews should express his thoughts in a better way instead of just calling something "rubbish".

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 5:20 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

It's much harder to change people's opinions than it is to give them a good impression in the first place, so we should be pleased that the reviewer has been converted :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 5:22 PM Quote
milos wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Well if you look at it that way, i guess you're right! But it's not that i have problem with anyone not liking Travis. I just think that someone who writes reviews should express his thoughts in a better way instead of just calling something "rubbish".

I understand but i can look past that and see a review praising Travis. :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 5:27 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
It's much harder to change people's opinions than it is to give them a good impression in the first place, so we should be pleased that the reviewer has been converted :)

I agree with that, that's very true. :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 5:27 PM Quote
Doubie postie.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Thu 28 Aug, 2008 5:34 PM Quote
Get over the comment about the older stuff. This reviewer is won(back)over, and isn't ashamed to admit it. What's so terrible? That makes the review better than any old sycophantic rambling!
Personally, if more reviews refer to an improved Travis, I'll be perfectly content.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:45 AM