agreed :), prob lost a good few months of my life on tetris

Tetris is the most addicting game ever.

SEGA anyone? Sonic the hedgehog!

Edit: Ohhhh I even remember playing with my parent's very old Pong

http://www.patentarcade.com/uploaded_images/magnavoxpic72-792105.jpg

Re: I feel old
mili
mili Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 7:14 AM Quote
It's fun to see my kids' expressions when I recognise an old sample from a new song (Soft Cell's Tainted Love in Rihanna's song, for example), and even better when I play the original for them. Apparently Talk Talk's It's My Life is ok.

Managed to introduce them to some "old" music, though, eg. Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit is surprisingly popular.

Tetris had a really distracting effect on me and my colleagues in the early 90's (played it on macs). One designer was really upset if someone else got to the top ten, and even stayed at work late until she had a clean list again.
There was this theory that the Soviet engineers developed the game to destroy the Western economy.

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 8:50 AM Quote
Ok, I lost my previous message on the cyberspace and trying again....

To begin with a 23 year-old talking about feeling old is just wrong! Wait until you actually get old:)

In fact probably you are even too young to know They Might Be Giants song "Older". I love it, so hilarious, and yet very true. I play it to my close friends on their birthdays;) They hate it, but ok: "You're oldest than you've ever been and now you're even older..." You should listen to it, and then you will feel depressed, and old:)(Sorry, I will not be able to give you a link for it but I am sure you can find it.)

And Commodore 64! Well, on my husband's 30th birthday I bought him an X Box (nearly 6 years ago) and it is so uncool now, let alone a Commodore 64, compared to PS3 (PS4 is on the way) and Wee, and who knows what. So why bother? And Tetris still rules!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 9:03 AM Quote

First Album I ever got: Outlandos D'amour(1978) - The Police

I also had one of these, note the lovely wood veneer finish !! you don't get that on modern game consols.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2014/1925784959_10cfff2869.jpg?v=0

Dubz

Hanne
Hanne Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 9:09 AM Quote
I know what you mean, I felt old at 23 too. Now I'm 28 and I just ceased to understand youth. I've no idea what's going on in their heads lol

But yeah, it's scary when people don't know songs, shows etc. that were a big thing when you were a teenager. The other week I was talking to a 15-year old; she's really into this (in my opinion horrible) standard boyband. I told her that at her age, I was really into Take That. And she'd never heard of them. I then realised that she was born around that time.

Gotta listen to that song, if a link is posted.

la femme qui
la femme qui Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 9:13 AM Quote
lindsey22295 wrote:
SEGA anyone? Sonic the hedgehog!

I LOVE Sonic! My brother had a Sega Mega Drive back in the 90s and my best friend and I were addicted to Sonic, Knuckles and Bare Knuckles... I recently discovered that it's possible to play all those games on a PC through an emulator! I felt like I was a kid again :)

mili
mili Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 9:53 AM Quote
sebnemy wrote:
Ok, I lost my previous message on the cyberspace and trying again....

To begin with a 23 year-old talking about feeling old is just wrong! Wait until you actually get old:)

In fact probably you are even too young to know They Might Be Giants song "Older". I love it, so hilarious, and yet very true. I play it to my close friends on their birthdays;) They hate it, but ok: "You're oldest than you've ever been and now you're even older..." You should listen to it, and then you will feel depressed, and old:)(Sorry, I will not be able to give you a link for it but I am sure you can find it.)

Found it!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=T1j6k1hxfcA

I'd forgotten about They Might Be Giants (vinyls don't get played that much) these days), used to love them.

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:39 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:

1. High school kids don't wear the traditional backpack anymore. Back in my day, (lol) we carried Jansports on our backs. Now, kids have chic oversized bags.

I use the traditional backpack. I'm 14.

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:50 AM Quote
mili wrote:

Found it!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=T1j6k1hxfcA

I'd forgotten about They Might Be Giants (vinyls don't get played that much) these days), used to love them.

Thanks for providing the link! Even though I cannot click on it (youtube is blocked in Turkey for some silly reason), I found the video from a proxy:) TMBG is cool in a silly way. That's what I like about them. This song should replace all happy birthday songs!

Correction: "You're older than you've ever been and now you're even older...."

nesmap
nesmap Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 12:24 PM Quote
monkey wrote:
http://cupojoe.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/duckhunt1.jpg

That was the only game my sister would play. I think she was scared of playing Mario lol

I used to cheat though and put the gun right up next to the screen and shoot away :O

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 12:40 PM Quote
nesmap wrote:

I used to cheat though and put the gun right up next to the screen and shoot away :O

Me too!!! And then the dog would laugh at you when you missed a duck. I'd shoot him even though the points didn't count. :P

I remember my brother and I having this huge fight while playing the original Mario Bros. He didn't believe me when I told him the bricks were worth points. >.<

Oh, and for those who remember kids getting asked to prom in an extravagant way back in the day, or if you still use an original backpack, I was just listing things that our 16-year-old intern told me are popular here right now that sorta blew my mind. What's popular is very different depending on the state/country, but I was surprised to find this stuff out. lol.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 1:17 PM Quote
[/quote]

Edit: Ohhhh I even remember playing with my parent's very old Pong

[/quote]

we have an old Atari at my cottage with Pong and Frogger and awesome games like that. I think it is older than i am.

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 1:54 PM Quote
<------Big TMBG fan....and can't even remember how many times I've seen them.

When I first moved to Michigan I flew back to New York to see them play in Central Park on Father's Day with my then 2-year old son....what a great trip and concert.

I have a picture I should scan in of him with Flansburgh.

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 2:00 PM Quote
Kids are getting so young. It won't have hit you in the states yet, but in the UK we're now at the stage where kids born in the 90's are legally able to drink. People who weren't even born when the Gulf war kicked off can get a beer! Unbelievable.

Also, how come kids these days all seem so cool? With their cool haircuts and cool clothes? When I was young I had a bowl cut, shit glasses and a vast array of reebok t-shirts. When did everything get so trendy?!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 2:08 PM Quote
Moray wrote:

Also, how come kids these days all seem so cool? With their cool haircuts and cool clothes? When I was young I had a bowl cut, shit glasses and a vast array of reebok t-shirts. When did everything get so trendy?!

http://www.poster.net/quadrophenia/quadrophenia-quadrophenia-9906116.jpg

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:19 AM