Travis

Buying the album...
the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 10 Aug, 2008 11:14 AM Quote
Another question:
If you buy the album from the Wee Store, do Travis get more money than if you buy it from HMV, Amazon etc?

Re: Buying the album...
jambut
jambut Posted Sun 10 Aug, 2008 12:16 PM Quote
But if you buy it from WEE store does it get counted in the album charts

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 10 Aug, 2008 1:26 PM Quote
That's a good point, i don't know how important it is to get a good chart position, but it certainly makes us all more cheerful.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 10 Aug, 2008 2:23 PM Quote
I'll be getting it from play.com. I get 90% of my CDs from there. :) We're going to get it to number 1!!! ;)

jambut
jambut Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 12:16 AM Quote
Can we have some confirmation on the whole "Do recordstore purchases count on the charts in that opening week?" Need to know as i'll buy the album off there right now if they do.

Eledh
Eledh Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 12:47 AM Quote
I've bought it in pre-order from the wee store...
Just because they sell the vinyl version too.
:)
But since I'll be in england the 29th of september I guess I'm just going to buy it in a shop too...
And then just give one of the two copy to a friend.
:P

franfan666
franfan666 Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 1:00 PM Quote
jambut wrote:
Can we have some confirmation on the whole "Do recordstore purchases count on the charts in that opening week?" Need to know as i'll buy the album off there right now if they do.

Yes recordstore sales for both singles and albums do count towards the chart. That's why they do so many singles promotions for big indie bands. (Bloc Party, The Music, Delays this week for instance)

Also to answer the point about Travis getting more money from a sale on recordstore or the Wee store then yes that is also the case. You'll find that the label will have to give much higher discounts to the likes of Amazon, Play, HMV, Asda, Tesco etc (that's why they are often very cheap). Indie stores like Rough Trade, Recordstore, Sister Ray etc etc aren't in a position to demand such discounts so whilst they make less money on the albums than big chains, Travis themselves will make a lot more.

so go indie...its the best way to support your favourite band.

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 1:26 PM Quote
Thanks for the answers, I hadn't noticed that the Wee Store was a branch of recordstore. That's good news for the charts and the money.

franfan666
franfan666 Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 2:03 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Thanks for the answers, I hadn't noticed that the Wee Store was a branch of recordstore. That's good news for the charts and the money.

not a problem - you'll find that most band's shops are run by either recordstore or trinity street - both independent companies that do a great job for some of my favourite bands.

Trinity Street don't have their own store though so I often use recordstore as you can see all the promotions they are doing in one handy place

Keep it indie!

Ursina
Ursina Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 9:18 PM Quote
I'm not really bothered if it gets high in the charts or not. my main concern is that it is distributed on the Continent and I can get a copy as soon as it's released. It's much more thrilling to get it in a shop on the release day, I think :)

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 7:03 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:
I'm not really bothered if it gets high in the charts or not. my main concern is that it is distributed on the Continent and I can get a copy as soon as it's released. It's much more thrilling to get it in a shop on the release day, I think :)

Yes, and I think I'll do that this time round.

everyday_face
everyday_face Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 7:43 PM Quote
Personally, I'm not interested in the chart position or how much the band get (Fran and Co. are more than comfortable with or without my help). There's only one factor for me, and that's how big a bang I get for my buck...

So far, the best I've seen is £7.99 (inc P&P) with CD.WOW, but if you go through this link... Discount you can get it for £7.49

Say I've got my priorities wrong, but if you feel the same, then now you know! :)

x

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 7:58 PM Quote
everyday_face wrote:
So far, the best I've seen is £7.99 (inc P&P) with CD.WOW, but if you go through this link... Discount you can get it for £7.49

I've been a bit suspicious of CDWow since they got busted for importing CDs illegally. I would generally go for the cheapest normally though.

everyday_face
everyday_face Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 9:20 PM Quote
Well, you say "illegal", but that's like saying Robin Hood was an outlaw for stealing from the rich and giving to the poor :) Personally, I have more of an issue with their outrageous delivery times.

But as ever, The Simpsons sums this up for us all...

Bart: Uh, say are you guys crooks?
Fat Tony: Bart, is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family?
Bart: No.
Fat Tony: Well, suppose you got a large starving family. Is it wrong to steal a truckload of bread to feed them?
Bart: Uh uh.
Fat Tony: And, what if your family don't like bread? They like... cigarettes?
Bart: I guess that's okay.
Fat Tony: Now, what if instead of giving them away, you sold them at a price that was practically giving them away. Would that be a crime, Bart?
Bart: Hell, no.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 3:01 PM