Travis

Re: Something anything: I have some doubt......
81 Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 11:15 AM Quote
My favourites Dougie's songs are: The distance, Just the faces change, Colder and Bring me round.
Nobody speaks of Bring me round. Why? Don't you like it?

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 12:44 PM Quote
Was thinking about this when I went to bed last night for some reason. Dougie'ism's like something, nothing, anything (Something Anything, Know Nothing, Good For Nothing) I do find a bit irritating, but I keep remembering more and more of his songs I think are ace.

I totally forgot I Forget My Name from the Walking in the Sun single - I was in love with that song for months. It's brilliant. And The Score! Bring Me Round! It was like Dougie got in my haid and said 'oi you tw*t, remember these before you start criticising'. Spooky.

It's not gonna make me love Something Anything overnight, but it's a start. Will wait till there's a good enough rip/the official single so I can stick it on my mp3 player and give it some welly in the car, then judge again.

I think it's partly because I love Song To Self so much and admit I'm really, really disappointed it's not single #1 because I feel it would have been perfect.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 12:58 PM Quote
The singles and the order they are released in etc is only important for radio play and publicity. If you like a track from the album, what does it matter if it's released as single no 1, 2, 3 or not at all?

Let the marketing experts decide which single releases will do Travis and the new album the most good. We can be armchair publicists all we like, but we're not experts. Just let them do their job, and enjoy the fact of Travis getting another new album into the shops.

Many of my personal favourites (for all acts, not just Travis) are the ones that stay as album tracks and b-sides, and don't get to see the light of day. The hidden treasures are often the best!

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 1:30 PM Quote
It's a question of wanting success though. Sure we all listen to the album and it doesn't really matter if it charts at #3 or #300 because we've got it, it's great and to hell with the rest of the world if they don't see it. But it was so frustrating seeing songs like Selfish Jean and My Eyes scrape into the charts because such a big part of being a fan of a band is not only listening to the music, but wanting to spread the word and seeing them be successful. On top of anything, if an album/single's a commercial flop you fear for the future and whether there'll actually be any more music to listen to.

Song To Self was the kind of thing I could see people with no interest in Travis hearing on the radio and thinking 'mmm, this is good, wonder who it is', more than anything off the last two albums. Something Anything.....personal opinion= very doubtful.

But we'll see. And the album is going to be ace.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 1:30 PM Quote
double post, grr.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 2:01 PM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:
it doesn't really matter if it charts at #3 or #300 because we've got it, it's great and to hell with the rest of the world if they don't see it

I wasn't commenting on the chart position, but the order in which any single is released. Although, on reflection, I don't think chart position is so important for singles. Yes, the singles get radio play and draw attention to the album, but if I like a single, I'll check out an album, regardless of how the single performs commercially.

But while I see your point of view, of risking losing the music, I always take the side of the underdog, even with songs! For example, songs like "20" and "Blue Flashing Light" are all the more precious, imho, because only the "inner Travis circle" knows and likes them. And if that makes me sound terrible as a person, I'm sorry, to a point.

It's the same with bands. It's an age old conversation point, but I like to see bands in small venues, not sports stadiums (stadia????). The less famous the band, the smaller the venue, the more personal the gig etc etc.

Travis is established enough on the scene to get the radio play. My only (small) concern is that there isn't some great record label organising the publicity machine for the new album. And of course, in spite of the waffling, I wish only success for the band and for the album! :)

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Fri 15 Aug, 2008 1:53 PM Quote
bump -

After all that whinging - wrong choice for single, bland, too short, repetitive, blah blah. A week or so on (and a promo quality version), and I love this song. Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry. lol. I couldn't have been more wrong if I'd specifically tried to win the world wrongness championships.

It's ace. That is all.

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Fri 15 Aug, 2008 5:42 PM Quote
Me again xD

Well, Something Anything is a good track to be a single. Why?, Travis is doing the things in a different way that last albums.
For my way, i didnt like the art covers, i prefer the typical Travis panoramic photos, but the sound of the the album (at least the new songs) are great!

J Smith is not good for a single, but is nice to be the EP for that Travis show his "music evolution".
I think that they are a lovely guys, with an extremely lovely songs, but the rock is good to show to some friends your that Travis is not "bored".
They Rock!

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 15 Aug, 2008 8:53 PM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:
bump -

After all that whinging - wrong choice for single, bland, too short, repetitive, blah blah. A week or so on (and a promo quality version), and I love this song. Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry. lol. I couldn't have been more wrong if I'd specifically tried to win the world wrongness championships.

It's ace. That is all.

Thanks for writing this, it would have been much easier to ignore it but you've been brave and said you've changed your mind, so much respect! :)

Can I just say that I loooooooove SA with a passion, though I really don't want it to beat The Distance to best the Dougie song award. What a nice problem to have :D

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 4:29 AM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:
bump -

It's ace. That is all.

I don't want to say 'we told you so', but we really told you so :oP. Just kidding! hehe
Glad to know you now fell for that fantastic song :o). I love it too, it is a fabulous one, great first single :o).

mishus
mishus Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 11:54 AM Quote
i think that it's great song, i like it more and more, perfect as a single! i agree with RaZzZ, genius choice with J Smith as a EP and Something Anything as a official single.
AND... are you sure that it's written by Dougie? it sounds more like Fran's song to me...!

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 12:36 PM Quote
If I was listening to all the songs we've heard to far and asked to pick wehich one was written by Dougie, I'd pick Get Up without a second's hesitation. Something Anything fits in perfectly with the slightly edgier, 2-minute short sharp rock fix of J.Smith. Dunno. Guess we'll find out for sure when we read the small print on the single sleeve.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 4:42 PM Quote
jesusaremus wrote:
Can anyone put the lyrics, i'm pretty bad at english, but i made an effort to understand a few thing, hope anyone to complete and corret:

Something Anything

Like a melody that is impossible to play away
In my memory there's a part of you that's gone away
To keep my mind from wondering ???
I'm wondering
to keep myself on falling
I'm following
Something Anything just to keep on living
Just to keep on breathing for a moment longer
I'd tell you anything if i had anything to say eh
i keep a battle in?? 'cause there's a time and there's a place for this
i keep my story where it is
??????????
??????????
when all i need is

Shit, i try my best to do it, but some part i couldn't :) hope someone to complete it and correct it :)

I think it's a perfect single. I love it! jesusaremus- I listened closely to the lyrics and I think you had most of them right...made a few corrections. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Like a melody that is impossible to play, I wait
In my memory there's a part of you that's gone away, yeah
To keep my mind from wandering, I'm wondering
To keep myself from falling, I'm following
Something anything just to keep believing
Just to keep me breathing for a moment longer

I'd tell you anything, if I had anything to say, yeah
I keep it bottled in 'cause there's a time and there's a place for this, yeah
I keep my story where it is
And act as if I don't even know what it is

When all I need is

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 5:33 PM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:
If I was listening to all the songs we've heard to far and asked to pick wehich one was written by Dougie, I'd pick Get Up without a second's hesitation. Something Anything fits in perfectly with the slightly edgier, 2-minute short sharp rock fix of J.Smith. Dunno. Guess we'll find out for sure when we read the small print on the single sleeve.

Something Anything, Long Way Down and Last Words were songs that Dougie brought to the band in the writing sessions. Also, Get Up is written by Fran and Dougie, according to the back of J Smith.

1922 Posted Sun 17 Aug, 2008 5:16 AM Quote
mishus wrote:
i think that it's great song, i like it more and more, perfect as a single! i agree with RaZzZ, genius choice with J Smith as a EP and Something Anything as a official single.
AND... are you sure that it's written by Dougie? it sounds more like Fran's song to me...!

In a recent BBC interview, Fran said that Something Anything is written by Dougie. A "Dougie Payne Original" as i believe he described it.

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:59 AM