Travis

An observation
Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 3:13 PM Quote
Please agree or disagree....

An observation I made today (to myself - the evils of working alone!!!) is that the Travis message board is divided in 2, not just between T Chat and G Chat, but also between the people who post in each section.

There is a small number of people who post in both, but it is small.

Looking at the threads started in this part of the forum, on the front page none have been started by people who chat a lot on the "other side".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising- nobody is right or wrong about where they choose to post, and what they want to discuss - how can they be??? It's just that I suddenly realised today that probably 95% of my own posts have been in the T Chat area.

I'm curious as to why you think the G chat population rarely posts in T chat. And vice versa.

Forgive me if it's been discussed before. It's a thought I've had, and I hope you'll be happy to talk about it.

Also, I beg you not to get all nostalgic for the old forum format, where it was one big mish mash. It's in the past, keep it there.

Last question/ comment: I wonder if G chat customers don't like Travis, or talking about Travis all that much.

Just curious. Looking forward to discussing! :)

Re: An observation
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 3:17 PM Quote

I can't speak for everyone but personally I do not post in T chat because it's full of Travis Fans who get uppity when you disagree with something, also do we really need 40 threads on the latest single/album ?

I've made no secret of the fact that I am no lionger a fan of the actual band but there are a few noardies on the G chat side that I've come to think of as friends so that is why I continue to visit.

Hope this helps

Dubz

Andrew
Andrew Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 3:20 PM Quote
TChat...

http://www.elwoodplaygroup.org.au/Images/Playgroup-Sandpit.jpg

GChat...

http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-17401848.jpg?size=572&uid=%7BFA3D43A6-0503-4A6E-9842-5658DB950921%7D

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 3:28 PM Quote
I post on both sides, but mostly on G-chat. I don't have "Travisy" things to say everyday. I can talk "Generally" anytime.

Moray
Moray Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 3:29 PM Quote
Travis chat seems a little....... limiting.

When I login I'm presented with two options:

- Talk about Travis
- Talk about anything you fucking want!!

I know which one I'm going to go with. It's nice to read and post in Travis chat once in a while, but General Chat is much more interesting, and I get much more out of it in terms of my t'interweb social interaction.

Plus, seriously, much as I love Travis, how often can you continue to write about your favourite Travis <insert word here> before you get bored?!

spid
spid Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 3:32 PM Quote
Hmmm, good one that.

I tend to swap between the two - but i don't tend to post as much on the T side as I often don't know the answer to a question or comment. I lurk there more but I do post.

I post more on this side as the subjects are much more diverse. Sometimes I find nothing much I feel I need to comment on and some days I comment on loads (it depends on my mood and whether the sun is shining)I like the diversity of people on this side (not saying that there aren't on the other side) but I know people better on this side. I find the other board slower to respond and as Dubz says the topics are all rather similar as you would expect really. i check that side for news etc more really.

That's my tuppence used anyway.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 3:42 PM Quote
I post on both sides almost equally I'd say. It just depends on the topics and if I have an answer, question or comment...doesn't matter to me one bit which side it's on.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 3:47 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I can't speak for everyone but personally I do not post in T chat because it's full of Travis Fans who get uppity when you disagree with something, also do we really need 40 threads on the latest single/album ?

I've made no secret of the fact that I am no lionger a fan of the actual band

Hope this helps

Dubz

Interesting! Thanks :)

I totally agree with you on the subject of too many threads for each song/ gig/ whatever. Hacks me off, tbh.

But as for disagreements: enjoy it! embrace it! I love a good heated debate. True there is a lot of huffing and puffing if you dare to criticise Travis, but it's all good argument fodder as far as I'm concerned. Having said that, if you've gone off the band, guess there's not much mileage in the conversation. Shame....

Out of curiousity, when did you go off the band, and why?

See, I had no idea that there are non-travis fans here at all. Live and learn! :)

Edit:

spid wrote:
I tend to swap between the two - but i don't tend to post as much on the T side as I often don't know the answer to a question or comment. I lurk there more but I do post.

Ha ha, do you honestly think anyone knows what they're talking about??? :)

Some people think they have insider knowledge on how Travis functions, what goes on in their heads/ their private lives. But it's rubbish. Lots of it is fantasy and speculation.

On the subject of limiting subject matter. Yes, obviously. And I can't see the point of posting there day in day out on the same old same old. So I'm selective in the threads I pick... :)

Meantime, I'm now wondering why I don't post on the g chat side more often. I'm no kid, as implied by sandpit above, but I've never really got myself drawn into conversations here. Mmmmm.....

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 3:55 PM Quote
I think it's funny that there are people on the T-Board who don't post here because of the arguments and there are people on the G-Board who don't post on the the T side because of the arguments. Hee hee.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 3:57 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I've made no secret of the fact that I am no lionger a fan of the actual band

Hope this helps

Dubz

Interesting! Thanks :)

I totally agree with you on the subject of too many threads for each song/ gig/ whatever. Hacks me off, tbh.

But as for disagreements: enjoy it! embrace it! I love a good heated debate. True there is a lot of huffing and puffing if you dare to criticise Travis, but it's all good argument fodder as far as I'm concerned. Having said that, if you've gone off the band, guess there's not much mileage in the conversation. Shame....

Out of curiousity, when did you go off the band, and why?

See, I had no idea that there are non-travis fans here at all. Live and learn! :)

The Invisible Band was the nail in the coffin for me, I find it bland and insipid. I much preffered them when they were more rock. Seriously I listen to All I Wanna Do Is Rock and wonder what the fuck happened, it's an amazing song/tune full of energy and then they progress to in my opinion soppy love song ballady type shite. However this is only my opinion and lots of others will surely disagree.

Dubz

Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 4:07 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

The Invisible Band was the nail in the coffin for me, I find it bland and insipid. I much preffered them when they were more rock. Seriously I listen to All I Wanna Do Is Rock and wonder what the fuck happened, it's an amazing song/tune full of energy and then they progress to in my opinion soppy love song ballady type shite. However this is only my opinion and lots of others will surely disagree.

Dubz

Hello - here's the perfect T chat thread to shake a few people out of complacency. Go on - post a thread to say it's all gone downhill after album no 1. See what they say ;)

To some extent I agree with your musical opinion. Not completely, as I'm a die hard. However, best album by a mile is the Good Feeling. Fantastic on cd, and especially live. TIB - the worst by a bigger mile.

You might be converted back by Ode to J Smith, if the title track is anything to go by. Touch of the rock anthem about it.

But I've submitted to T chat in the dark side- sacrilege!!! :)

Note to self: try to post more in the g chat bit, and nothing about Travis!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 4:16 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:

Hello - here's the perfect T chat thread to shake a few people out of complacency. Go on - post a thread to say it's all gone downhill after album no 1. See what they say ;)

To some extent I agree with your musical opinion. Not completely, as I'm a die hard. However, best album by a mile is the Good Feeling. Fantastic on cd, and especially live. TIB - the worst by a bigger mile.

You might be converted back by Ode to J Smith, if the title track is anything to go by. Touch of the rock anthem about it.

But I've submitted to T chat in the dark side- sacrilege!!! :)

Note to self: try to post more in the g chat bit, and nothing about Travis!

Haha that's exactly why I don't post things like this over there, people just find me antagonistic, opinionated, judgemental and downright nasty (actually they could be right).

I think the general rule in G-Chat is there are no topics unsuitable, I disagree with a lot of them (Weddings/Babies/Hunks...etc) but again that's just my opinion. I also find it a bit boring at times and nowhere near as active as it could be, I remember if you missed a few days you had to scroll through pages and pages.

Dubz

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 4:28 PM Quote
I think I'm one of those few who post a fair amount in both. :P I just respond to what I find interesting. I always check both when I visit the site.

I do agree though that there is a split. I'd like an option where you could view both together, and then if you wanted to see just G Chat or T Chat posts you could use an option to filter one of them out.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 4:29 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
I think I'm one of those few who post a fair amount in both. :P I just respond to what I find interesting. I always check both when I visit the site.

I do agree though that there is a split. I'd like an option where you could view both together, and then if you wanted to see just G Chat or T Chat posts you could use an option to filter one of them out.

that's not a bad idea !! I would use the filter but it would be handy for others.

Dubz

Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 25 Jul, 2008 4:38 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Haha that's exactly why I don't post things like this over there, people just find me antagonistic, opinionated, judgemental and downright nasty (actually they could be right).

I think the general rule in G-Chat is there are no topics unsuitable, I disagree with a lot of them (Weddings/Babies/Hunks...etc) but again that's just my opinion. I also find it a bit boring at times and nowhere near as active as it could be, I remember if you missed a few days you had to scroll through pages and pages.

Dubz

That's really funny, cos I suspect I'm the most antagonistic one in the T section. I'm not scared of disagreeing with people, and they don't like it. Such fun!

I've been known to tell people over there that they're talking bollocks. They don't like it, but if I think it's bollocks I'll say so! :) I like to keep people grounded, when they talk rubbish. But that's just an ego thing, and forcing my opinion. Hell, isn't that the purpose of a forum?!

But on the plus side, it's useful to lurk and gather info on what's happening with the band. Keeps me up to date. No bad thing.

As regards the general topics, of course you can't agree with them all. That'd be really boring in itself! And you don't have to post in a babies or weddings or other girlie thread- just skip on to the next - or do you have the overwhelming compulsion to post literally everywhere? That's a worry!! :)

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:53 AM