Travis

Re: J.Smith Ep review
Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:24 AM Quote
You just dont get my point and I am surprised you have let this roll over again after somebody clearly did something to appease you moaners.

The point being that you were totally disrepectful to the author . An article clearly heartening for Travis fans. All of you so quickly to jump on the Bandwagon. What is it you would rather? -a word pefect NME review? Seems you would.For Travis fans it is about pretty words, as you put it.

If I were Alisha , I would be quite insulted , whether it was the editor's fault or not. The inappreciation is deafening .It doesn't put that right by glibly adding at the end that it was , otherwise, good.

Heartening for her is that many many many Travis fans dont post and will have loved what she wrote, even though it didn't make the high grade of a bunch of critical moaners on the board.

(There are also many posters on here who aren't, for whatever reason word perfect and some of the comments insults them too - in my opinion.)

Eledh
Eledh Posted Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:04 AM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:
You just dont get my point and I am surprised you have let this roll over again after somebody clearly did something to appease you moaners.

The point being that you were totally disrepectful to the author . An article clearly heartening for Travis fans. All of you so quickly to jump on the Bandwagon. What is it you would rather? -a word pefect NME review? Seems you would.For Travis fans it is about pretty words, as you put it.

If I were Alisha , I would be quite insulted , whether it was the editor's fault or not. The inappreciation is deafening .It doesn't put that right by glibly adding at the end that it was , otherwise, good.

Heartening for her is that many many many Travis fans dont post and will have loved what she wrote, even though it didn't make the high grade of a bunch of critical moaners on the board.

(There are also many posters on here who aren't, for whatever reason word perfect and some of teh comments insults them too - in my opinion.)

*hugs tight*
And this is all I have to say. ;)

Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:24 AM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:

The point being that you were totally disrepectful to the author . An article clearly heartening for Travis fans. All of you so quickly to jump on the Bandwagon.

If I were Alisha , I would be quite insulted

(There are also many posters on here who aren't, for whatever reason word perfect and some of teh comments insults them too - in my opinion.)

I'm glad I've created a bandwagon. I've never done that before!!!

BTW I fully agree with what Nikki was saying earlier about the role of the journalist.

I'm a qualified freelance journalist. Most of my writing has been well received, but not always. It's par for the course. Get over it! I'm sure the writer has!

The negative remarks weren't disprespectful. It was pure, honest, knee-jerk reaction.

And of course it wasn't disrespectful to boardies. It was a crit of one piece by a published journalist. Nothing more, nothing less.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:26 AM Quote
I would like to argue my case, but I can't see what good it would do really, as we have two opposite viewpoints which are probably never going to be compromised. It's a matter of opinion whether or not it's OK to write an article with bad grammar, for me it's like someone who writes good songs but can't actually play the guitar so they spoil it. Apologies to Alisha and/or anyone else who finds writing hard (if you've taken offence), especially if you're not a native speaker. :)

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:40 PM Quote
Most of us are here as Travis Fans and not 'profession' critics.

I am almost sensing jealousy.

As this very small little group are citing each other for support then it has moved in to something else entirely. The intelligence level is too low to continue reasserting my point , else I would still be writing this time next week.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 14 Jul, 2008 2:32 PM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:
The intelligence level is too low to continue reasserting my point

You'll see that at no point did anybody else (myself included) say anything personal about you, the journalist or the other boardies. Maybe, having made a big deal about something relatively small, you could consider that the intelligent folks in the thread all managed to put their point across without trading insults such as the one above.

This thread was a review about the ep. I posted my appreciation of the sentiments in the review, passed an opinion on the article per se, and suddenly there's World War 3. I didn't start that. Who did???

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Mon 14 Jul, 2008 3:14 PM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:

(There are also many posters on here who aren't, for whatever reason word perfect and some of the comments insults them too - in my opinion.)

Just because we're being critical of Alisha's writing doesn't mean we're about to hire hitmen out to assassinate her or something, lol. You're taking this out of proportion.

We're talking about the quality and professionalism of the writing at the end of the day, irrespective of how it rated J Smith. I can't help but wonder whether you would be so quick to defend Alisha if she gave J. Smith a terrible review...

But hey, I like these kind of debates n all, but when people start getting too worked up over it all its probably time to stop. It's all water off a ducks back...whatever that means.

Joanna Hanner
Joanna Hanner Posted Mon 14 Jul, 2008 3:18 PM Quote

Alisha
Alisha Posted Mon 14 Jul, 2008 3:42 PM Quote
Joanna Hanner wrote:
Somewhere Else wrote:
Nope, but would have every respect for anyone who wrote an article as good as that , whether the commas were upside down back to front or double dutched.

Liar, liar pants on fire. You are friends with her!! i added her to my friends and saw you are also a friend. why do you have to lie about it?

I hadn't planned to set a single word on this (and about the review subject, I'll stick by it)

But as this really got out of proportion, if you care to know *I* added SomehwereElse to my friends yesterday as I have been made aware this thread was going on this way, and the fact that she defended me as a person, not a writer, without even knowing me, got my simpathy as a person, yet again, not as a writer.

Now, since I had to come out, anything addressed to the reviewer you can shout it at me, but please, no childish stuff as pointing out "ah-ah" to her or anyone else.
To be honest and perfectly clear, with the exception of Joanna, no one here did the 1+1 to get to understand it was me.
Cause even if she knew me (which she didn't) I see no point in this children's fight.

Gosh... I'm starting to sympatize with Fran thinking about what he said when he just couldn't come up and defend himself against the bad youtube comments on his performance of Turn at T in the park (cause of course you can defend your own self in something that public)

but here I am. Happier?

Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 14 Jul, 2008 4:00 PM Quote
Hello Alisha. It was never personal- I would never insult you. And as I don't even know you, how could I do that, even if it was in my nature, which it isn't? I may speak my mind, but I would never deliberately hurt anyone.

I'm very glad you liked the ep, as we all do.

I'm glad you spoke out and introduced yourself. However, I do think you'll find that the puerile taunting came from the same person you found sympathetic.

And that is as personal as I'll get, here or anywhere else on the board.

Alisha
Alisha Posted Mon 14 Jul, 2008 4:16 PM Quote
Forget this post. the previous one sums it all better.

Joanna Hanner
Joanna Hanner Posted Mon 14 Jul, 2008 4:31 PM Quote

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Mon 14 Jul, 2008 4:36 PM Quote
Lol, I didn't realise Alisha was a boardie. Hi Alisha! http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/26sweat.gif

Do you work as a critic/journalist then, or can anybody post on that site?

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] All Times BST Current Time 12:11 AM