Travis

NME don't even mention J Smith
Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 1:44 PM Quote
Does anyone else get totally fed up with the NME? They haven't even mentioned the J Smith release in the mag or on the website - if Coldplay had released J Smith, NME would be soiling themselves. I'm so fed up of their narrow minded attitude - by not giving any coverage to Travis singles they're affecting their ability to get into the charts. Arrghh!

Re: NME don't even mention J Smith
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 2:57 PM Quote
It was never going to mention it. They'll mention the album.

However NME haven't been as harsh as people make out. Invisible Band was given 8/10, and 12 Memories was given 6/10 which was about the average score (3 stars) of that album.

I would blame the individual who reviewed TBWNN, rather than the NME themselves. I'm not saying Ode To J Smith will get a great review from them, as it depends who reviews the album.

I do, however, dislike NME. Though I visit their website as it does keep me up to date with certain bands.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 4:01 PM Quote
Why care? They're so irrelevant now compared to how they used to be. No-one gives a shit about the NME anymore.

accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 7:59 PM Quote
is the nme actually relevant anymore?

accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 7:59 PM Quote
is the nme actually relevant anymore?

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 8:26 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

I would blame the individual who reviewed TBWNN, rather than the NME themselves. I'm not saying Ode To J Smith will get a great review from them, as it depends who reviews the album.

I would blame both. The editors at NME know what goes in their mag and read it all to make sure it's exactly what they want. That TBWNN review was the biggest load of crap I've ever read. That "writer" and the NME can shove it...I wouldn't trust any magazine that wrote something like that.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 8:35 PM Quote
Yeah maybe. Like I said, they've been fair in the past. If they hated Travis, although I understand it was 6 years earlier, they wouldn't have given The Invisible Band 8/10. 12 Memories, 4 years earlier, also received a fair review.

I think many people do read NME and do listen to what they say. Fools they may be, but all I'm saying is, NME do influence people.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 9:58 PM Quote
I feel a little ignorant (not entirely because I'm argentinian) but I haven't got the slightest idea of what the NME is (well, clearly it's a magazine) and I never read that review of TBWNN... Is it such a big deal that they didn't mention J. Smith?

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 10:08 PM Quote
Yeah, its just a crap magazine. I don't think many people have any respect for it anymore. I know I don't. They gave The Boy 2/10 and just spent the whole review slagging the band off. Like Nikki said, the editor obviously approved the review. They haven't always been anti Travis though.

Reading back what I said previously here, it looks like I'm sticking up for them (suppose I kind of was) but they promote terrible bands and ignore others.

And no I don't think the fact they didn't mention J Smith is a big deal. Its not officially a single anyway.

choke the chicken
choke the chicken Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 10:08 PM Quote
All i will say is they certainly overhyped The Gossip... Beth Ditto Coolest person in rock...hmmm

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 10:41 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Yeah, its just a crap magazine. I don't think many people have any respect for it anymore. I know I don't. They gave The Boy 2/10 and just spent the whole review slagging the band off. Like Nikki said, the editor obviously approved the review. They haven't always been anti Travis though.

Reading back what I said previously here, it looks like I'm sticking up for them (suppose I kind of was) but they promote terrible bands and ignore others.

And no I don't think the fact they didn't mention J Smith is a big deal. Its not officially a single anyway.

Oh, alright. Thanks!
I'm used to not agreeing with music magazines on what's good and what's not, so it doesn't make much of a difference for me I guess...

Safe Side
Safe Side Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 10:42 PM Quote
Its just the way things are i think,10 years ago Travis were on the front every 3 weeks and headlining NME gigs. But the NME being a weekly mag it moves fast. I think they do tend to give fair reviews to Albums and Singles even if a band is over hyped in the other sections of it it does always reveiw the music fairly (eg the twang were called the best new band in the world but when there album was crap they gave it 5/10). I think TBWNN review was one idoit and hopefully whoever reviews OTJS will be fair.

They did mention the new album a few weeks ago when one of the writers bumped into Andy in the Beatles hotel. in which andy said it would be the loudest album yet

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 1:27 PM