Travis

I don't know what to do
Harmony1206
Harmony1206 Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 3:36 AM Quote
Hello ppl of Travisland, I hope ye are well. :-D

I have an issue I don't know how to deal with.
I adopted a friends cat 2 weeks ago. A cat who's almost 2 years old.
She gets along well with my 5 year old cat, which is grand. But there's a problem, a huge one, and that is that she pees where she's not allowed to. Anywhere outside the box is a no no. And since yesterday she has peed on my trousers, two of my carpets and the floor. This has made me come to the conclusion that I cannot keep her.
I feel like I'm letting my friend down, but I can't have a cat that pisses all over the place, ruin my things and perhaps maybe teach my cat that it's an ok behaviour.

So, what do ye think..?

I don't expect any replies really, cos what can I say.. this place has changed for the worse.
I will be one of the oldies who's saying that she misses the old board, but that's because it was less rudeness and arrogance on there. :-)

Re: I don't know what to do
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 3:41 AM Quote
Harmony1206 wrote:
I don't expect any replies really, cos what can I say.. this place has changed for the worse.
I will be one of the oldies who's saying that she misses the old board, but that's because it was less rudeness and arrogance on there. :-)

Wow! Compliments like that just really makes people want to jump right into a conversation.

Anyway, the first thing you need to do is take the cat to the vet because there could be medical reasons why she is doing that. For example a urinary tract or bladder infection. These need immediate attention so I wouldn't put off taking her in.

If it's not that then this undesirable behavior is most likely due to stress. Sometimes adding another litter box helps. Supposedly you should have one litter box per cat. They still both might use only the one but some cats like to have the option.

Those are just a few suggestions.

Harmony1206
Harmony1206 Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 4:00 AM Quote
What can I say, I've been wanting to say it for such a long time. haha And on a serious note, sometimes you have to say what you feel when you think something's wrong.
Sure, I might have used the wrong words - but it's almost 5 in the morning and I'm knackered after just a few hours of sleep and having to clean my carpets.

Thank you for your suggestions! I have two litter boxes that she uses sometimes. My friend told me that the cat used to do this when she had her too.
But we were thinking positive since I clean the litter boxes every day and because we thought that my cat would teach her what to do.

weirdmom wrote:

Wow! Compliments like that just really makes people want to jump right into a conversation.

Anyway, the first thing you need to do is take the cat to the vet because there could be medical reasons why she is doing that. For example a urinary tract or bladder infection. These need immediate attention so I wouldn't put off taking her in.

If it's not that then this undesirable behavior is most likely due to stress. Sometimes adding another litter box helps. Supposedly you should have one litter box per cat. They still both might use only the one but some cats like to have the option.

Those are just a few suggestions.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 4:13 AM Quote
It's a shame you posted your opinions as a footnote to your cat enquiry (which I can't help with I'm afraid), rather than somewhere where it would have maybe been more appropriate, even starting a new topic might have been better, by posting it here it just comes across as a snipe at relatively new board users. Well, the rude and arrogant ones anyway. So just me then. Ah well.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 4:24 AM Quote
It does sound like a behavioral issue if the cat has been doing this for awhile.

Here is a link to one of many articles about this topic:
http://cats.about.com/cs/litterboxproblems/a/urinewoes_4.htm

One of my cats used to poop outside of the box. Literally right outside. So I did a lot of reading on this subject!!

You might still call your vet just to get some suggestions. I know this is one of the top reasons people take their cats to shelters so it something vets etc. try to give lots of advice about to prevent.

That being said, if you cannot deal with it I don't think you need to feel bad or like you let your friend down. Would you want your friend dealing with a cat peeing all over their place?

spid
spid Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 9:55 AM Quote
As a mere newbie I wasn't sure whether to reply to this or not - i was a bit put off as I wasn't priveledged enough to discover the old board despite being a Travis fan for longer than some people have been out of nappies - and I don't like it being insinuated that I have nothing relevant to say.

However, as a cat owner for more years than I care to name - I agree that it sounds like the cat has a behavioural problem or a medical problem. The later can be ruled out by the vet and the first can be worked on. When my cats have missed we have used a variety of techniques - including pepper in the corners they use, tin foil over wires - they always like wires, a water spray bottle, and sheer hard work and diligence at catching them about to do it and putting them on the litter tray until they get the message. Alternatively they become an outside cat.

There does become a point when enough is enough - then you have the choice of rehoming or asking your friend to take the cat back. If she knew what the cat was like she won't be offended - she couldn't cope so she shouldn't expect you
to.

I hope you get this sorted.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 12:12 PM Quote
Ek I'm sorry you have came across rudeness and arrogance by "new" boardies but I have never experienced that....well unless it's by Abs, but we all know she has her funny moments! lmao If anything I think the board has improved and there are alot of boardies from around the world who I have made friends with! :)

Anyhow, you cat sounds like it just hasn't been house trained properly. My mum always had cats and went through this nightmare. We tried everything! But our cat was getting old and didn't like the cold outside. Boohoo.

I would recommend what weirdmom said!!! :)

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 12:56 PM Quote
Arent you all being a little precious over someone having the audacity to say what they are feeling?

As for the cats *shrugs* not a fan of cats creepy little things :P

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 1:27 PM Quote
Rudeness and arrogance? I can't say I've ever come across it on here and I thought I was one of the most sensitive people going! Oh well.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 1:43 PM Quote
We're all surely allowed to say what we think though Gladders, without the boundaries of what is deemed acceptable by the site owners.

It doesn't seem resonable that someone says something that other people will naturally take umbrage to, and then people be tagged 'precious' when they respond to it. Everyone's got to be given their shout, just like the original poster had hers.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 1:50 PM Quote
Just dont see why comments made on a message board by someone you barely know should matter. Maybe thats just me *shrugs*

Hanne
Hanne Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 1:51 PM Quote
I just love how this thread has two completely different topics lol. I can't say I've ever come across a discussion involving attitudes on a board AND cats that need to be house trained hehe

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 1:57 PM Quote
I really don't agree with the reaction to the initial post, surely people have the right to pass comment on a public forum ? Or is it yet another case of people taking everything said as a personal attack on themselves, In my opinion if you are gonna get uppitty because some one slags, The Board or Brad or Travis you must be a very insecure person who builds up "walls" to hide behind.

A few others and I (faggotty board comment the other week ??) deride the board quite often but nothing is said to us, why?

Freedom of speech muthafuckas!!!

Dubz

Oh and bung a cork in the cat!!

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 2:03 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I?

Oh and bung a cork in the cat!!

Thats all very well. But eventually it will explode and thats going to be messy.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 2:06 PM Quote

But at least you'd only need to clean it up once.

Dubz

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:01 PM