Travis

Re: Elliott Smith & Jeff Buckley
Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Wed 06 Jun, 2007 2:52 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
Lemon Grinner wrote:
Being dead does help, coz slagging off the dead is seen as rude.
Personally, I get bored.

think you got a point , but Elliot Smith does have a large amount of material , give it a few years and see if it your tastes change

That's a fair point too. I like this, differences in opinion with no offence or arguing!! =D

Re: Elliott Smith & Jeff Buckley
champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Wed 06 Jun, 2007 11:51 PM Quote
harry potter wrote:
i don't get it.

do you have to die to be good? they were mediocore talents at best yeah?

buckley had a great voice for what he did to be sure, but so does ronnie james dio, you know what i mean?

state your case.

I know what you mean. They are both impeccable talents for sure. But yeah; young death, sansations or suicides help the fame. Like Kurt Cobain staying as an icon still. Or people getting to know Nick Drake years after he died in misery.

Re: Jeff Buckley
CJHuctwith
CJHuctwith Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 4:39 AM Quote
I've gotta jump in, in Jeff's defence. Most would agree that Grace is a monumental album, with far more than just Hallelujah to offer. So it's a GREAT album. Now tell me how many GREAT albums you've listened to that have totally grabbed you. There aren't very many. It's difficult to write ONE great tune let alone a whole album of them. Leave the man be. We were robbed when he was robbed.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 6:46 AM Quote
CJHuctwith wrote:
I've gotta jump in, in Jeff's defence. Most would agree that Grace is a monumental album, with far more than just Hallelujah to offer. So it's a GREAT album. Now tell me how many GREAT albums you've listened to that have totally grabbed you. There aren't very many. It's difficult to write ONE great tune let alone a whole album of them. Leave the man be. We were robbed when he was robbed.

This is not a defence, it's an opinion. basically what you have just said is It's a great album because you say so...

There seems to be a pattern emerging here in the pro-Jeff camp. I haven't seen one post explaining why it's a good album. Just because it is, seems to be the arguement which is a paradox cause that's not an arguement.

And why should I leave the man be?? He put himself up on that stage which therefore gives me the right to criticize his work, plus the fact that people like you keep telling me he's a legend, when he's clearly just a man.

And by the way before you start I have tried to listen to Grace on numerous occassions, to see what it is I'm missing. My conclusion at this point in time is nothing. I find it to be mediocre at best, there are plenty of other albums of the same ilk why does this one get singled out? Is it just because he snuffed it?? The lyrics are uninspired (except on Hallelujah but then he didn't write it did he), the tunes are nothing new, and his voice and mannerisms in which he sings are pretentious.

lieve
lieve Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 7:10 AM Quote
jewel box, you should hear Milow sing it.

10 years since he died, mr buckley.

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 10:34 AM