Travis

Re: Ode To J. Smith release date - Sept. 29
Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 5:41 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
We all need to get together and make this album the one that gets them new fans, hopefully this can be a big time for the board to all pull together and really achieve something :D

What utter bollocks!

Who do you think we are? What on earth difference do you honestly believe the forum can make? Wakey wakey, there's only 10's of boardies, not thousands.

Gee, that was rude. I don't think that boardies can make a massive difference, but we can contribute by spreading the word about the band and calling radio stations, etc. For example, Anne (WeirdMom) actually talked a DJ in Austin into booking Travis on his show before they performed there last year. I'm not certain, but I believe they did and interview and sang.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 5:44 PM Quote
That's what I mean - every little helps, as Tesco keeps telling us.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 5:44 PM Quote
Yeah, but TBWNN got 2/10

Now that is a load of bollocks. How can anyone honestly rate TBWNN that low? Please. How ridiculous.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 5:49 PM Quote
I agree with everything Nikki has said on this thread (it's easier to say that than to write a long post :oP).

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 5:53 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Yeah, but TBWNN got 2/10

Now that is a load of bollocks. How can anyone honestly rate TBWNN that low? Please. How ridiculous.

yeah, but that's the NME for you!

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 6:03 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Tonie wrote:
We all need to get together and make this album the one that gets them new fans, hopefully this can be a big time for the board to all pull together and really achieve something :D

What utter bollocks!

Who do you think we are? What on earth difference do you honestly believe the forum can make? Wakey wakey, there's only 10's of boardies, not thousands.

Gee, that was rude.

I prefer to call it a reality check. Apologies if offence caused.
The amount of difference that a small forum can make is negligeable. I just disagreed very strongly with the comment. Nothing personal.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 6:22 PM Quote
Yes I know NME gave The Boy 2. They gave 12 Memories 6 which is respectable. 3 stars in otherwords. I dislike the NME but I think we should hate that particular reviewer of The Boy rather than NME in general who have been ok with Travis in the past.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 6:23 PM Quote
Back onto the release, I just found this, probably the most graphically unsophisticated countdown clock ever invented! It updates every time you refresh the page! Technology these days is amazing, isn't it!

http://v50.net/cd/09-29-2008_Ode+to+J+Smith+is+released_0-0-0_240-248-255.png

tgb
tgb Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 7:50 PM Quote
A perfect 8-days-delayed birthday present for me! Well I'm a lucky lucky girl, though slightly :)

-ivashjke-
-ivashjke- Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 9:09 PM Quote
Closer
May 2, 2007
Closer to what exactly? Well, maybe to hitting new peaks of indie snoredom by writing the most insipid, abysmal, life-threateningly nondescript single that precisely nobody will ever consider except in contempt… ever. Like a fly buzzing around the ear, or a hair stuck on your tongue, ‘Closer’ contributes absolutely nothing at all to the grand scheme of life, except to irritate and annoy you when you’ve other things to concentrate on. Go away Travis.

Well, that's how NME reviewed "Closer". It looks like the author really dislikes Travis. I mean the guys. He hates them, not music. It's like some morbid attitude, I don't know.
Btw, TBWNN wasn't ever rated higher than 3/5. I haven't seen any 4/5 reviews. I think this album deserves at least 4/5.
Every single Travis release after "The Invisible Band" was criticized too severely..

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 9:10 PM Quote
-ivashjke- wrote:
Closer
May 2, 2007
Closer to what exactly? Well, maybe to hitting new peaks of indie snoredom by writing the most insipid, abysmal, life-threateningly nondescript single that precisely nobody will ever consider except in contempt… ever. Like a fly buzzing around the ear, or a hair stuck on your tongue, ‘Closer’ contributes absolutely nothing at all to the grand scheme of life, except to irritate and annoy you when you’ve other things to concentrate on. Go away Travis.

Well, that's how NME reviewed "Closer". It looks like the author really dislikes Travis. I mean the guys. He hates them, not music. It's like some morbid attitude, I don't know.
Btw, TBWNN wasn't ever rated higher than 3/5. I haven't seen any 4/5 reviews. I think this album deserves at least 4/5.
Every single Travis release after "The Invisible Band" was criticized too severely..

Who cares about NME anyway? They are a bunch of idiots.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 9:19 PM Quote
You obviously didn't look at many reviews then. Digital Spy gave it 5 stars, I saw another 5 stars. I saw a 4.5 star review recently which I hadn't seen before. It got plenty of respectable 3 star reviews.

Fed up of people saying it got slagged off from everywhere because it didn't!!!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 11:08 PM Quote
I remember seeing just two reviews of TBWNN in Argentina, one of them praised the album and the band and the other one hated them.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 11:10 PM Quote
Hopefully these links work! Haha.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/release/b3gb/ No score given but they say "there’s very little to find fault with."

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/cd_reviews/article1736665.ece 4 stars

http://www.indielondon.co.uk/Music-Review/travis-the-boy-with-no-name 4 stars

http://www.virginmedia.com/music/reviews/albumreviews/travis-theboywithnoname.php 3.5 stars

http://www.twistedear.com/index.php/Albums/Travis-The-Boy-With-No-Name.html 4.5 stars

5 stars from Digital Spy. 4 stars from Q. LOADS of 3 stars, which are respectable.

Craigyboy
Craigyboy Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 11:32 PM Quote
yea i remeber q gave it 4stars and recomended it! I say we need to get Radio 1 to play the new singles as of the last album i didnt here any of them on radio 1 but then again the NME(aka we dont like travis since 12memories) probs tell them what to play lol

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:38 AM