Travis

Re: I claim this the first Album #7 post! (+ New Fran Interv
milos
milos Posted Fri 27 Jun, 2008 1:53 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
But it will be Song To Self and Last Words.

You're probably right. Fran mentioned both songs as "possible singles" in his blogs. Although from what i heard, Long Way Down would be a great single!

And nice to hear that the band is really excited about the new album. I especially liked the part about playing some new places. :) Great interview!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 27 Jun, 2008 2:25 PM Quote
Long Way Down would be a perfect single. Hopefully it will be. It'll be Ode to J Smith's Eyes Wide Open in so far as it'll be the 'should have been a single' song.

choke the chicken
choke the chicken Posted Fri 27 Jun, 2008 7:50 PM Quote
The Beatles (and Queen for that matter) were able to release an album annually because they had 4 singer/songwriters, so for each to produce a few songs a year to compile an album is much easier than with Travis were I think the majority of songs are written by Fran. I suppose Dougie is writing more songs that now appear on albums (Colder), and Andy has sung a few b-sides - but do you think if Travis albums are going to be released on a more regular basis, we'll see more songs writen and even sung by Dougie, Andy or even Neil appearing on the albums?

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 27 Jun, 2008 8:09 PM Quote
My personal opinion, though I'm probably in the minority, is definitely that Fran should sing the songs. He is the lead singer and I'd want it to stay that way. I don't know if you know but, Something Anything, Long Way Down and Last Words were written by Dougie. So they have 2 album songwriters now and it seems that Fran is going to sing them as he sings Colder and he sings Dougie's 3 on Ode To J Smith. Andy has written a few but I don't think Neil writes.

I think Dougie will become more important as a songwriter in the band. His songs are getting better but I doubt we will be getting any Andy or Neil songs. :) I think we'll be getting less b sides now. I've always said a lot of the b sides should be album tracks. They will be in the future I think. :) Not those particular songs of course, I mean songs that might have been a b side before, will end up on the album. :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 27 Jun, 2008 8:13 PM Quote
Let me just say, I do really like Dougie's voice but for actual albums, I'd want Fran to sing them. And 4/4 suggests that's going to be the case in the future. :) Hopefully some Dougie sung b sides...

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 27 Jun, 2008 8:16 PM Quote
I would be surprised if Dougie started singing in a more lead singer type way. Though I like that he is writing more.

Also I know they are saying two singles but that doesn't mean they won't change their minds. I think the whole point of them having their own label is so they can do exactly as they please. Sounds like a good game plan (2 singles, play shows in my backyard, record another album, play more shows in my backyard) but I don't think it's law either. Except the playing shows in my backyard part.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 27 Jun, 2008 9:23 PM Quote
Yes, you're right. There are 3 songs on the new album that should be singles. Long Way Down, Last Words and Song To Self. One of those would have to miss out. :( Never mind. Hopefully they'll go back on that though.

I love this new plan but I don't want the albums to suffer because of it. The new one is great, doesn't mean they'll be able to write another awesome album in time for next year though. Hope so though of course. :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 27 Jun, 2008 9:43 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Yes, you're right. There are 3 songs on the new album that should be singles. Long Way Down, Last Words and Song To Self. One of those would have to miss out. :( Never mind. Hopefully they'll go back on that though.

I love this new plan but I don't want the albums to suffer because of it. The new one is great, doesn't mean they'll be able to write another awesome album in time for next year though. Hope so though of course. :)

I believe they can do it. I guess it all depends on how their lives are going and if they're inspired. They're human beings, not machines, lol, but I have faith they can make one brilliant album a year because they are, IMO, the best band in the world.

It is really great to see Dougie writing more and I think he has a wonderful voice. I love a lot of the b-sides Doug sings. However, Fran's voice is just....perfection. :) He's the voice of Travis and I hope it stays that way as well.

These are very exciting times for the band and I can't wait to get "Ode to J. Smith" in my hands and see them live again!!!! Wooooohooo!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 27 Jun, 2008 9:55 PM Quote
Well said Nikki. :)

I believe they can do it too but I'd hate to think they're set on it in their minds so much that they release a disappointing album. I don't think they will but I get the feeling Fran had a bit of writers block (or wasn't writing songs as good at least) because he's said Selfish Jean, Battleships, Eyes Wide Open, One Night and a couple of others too I think were some of the last songs written for The Boy. If the album was released 6 months earlier it wouldn't have had them. The album would be nowhere near as good because they're my 4 faves on the album. Ode To J Smith would be much better than The
Boy if that happened to have been the case. Still would have been good but I think I'd have been disappointed. Seems as if Fran has his writing back though now. :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 27 Jun, 2008 9:59 PM Quote
Sorry for rambling on. *blushes*

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 6:29 PM