Travis

Re: European boardies
pixiedixie
pixiedixie Posted Wed 25 Jun, 2008 6:57 PM Quote
I´m sorry but the Almudena is the ugliest cathedral I know... the Palacio Real is near by, and it´s not bad though.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 25 Jun, 2008 7:23 PM Quote
pixiedixie wrote:
I´m sorry but the Almudena is the ugliest cathedral I know... the Palacio Real is near by, and it´s not bad though.

there's a town named Vallejo you should visit then

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 25 Jun, 2008 7:25 PM Quote
Monica wrote:

ricv64 wrote:
the Prado RULEZ

To be honest, I've only visited it once :$ But I was really impressed.

Jeeze Louise , thats the highest content of Titian , Bosch, Goya , Velazquez and Riviera in one buliding , IN THE WORLD !

lilly
lilly Posted Wed 25 Jun, 2008 7:51 PM Quote
Aletways wrote:
About Germany, I asked her today (before posting here) why isn't she going, and she told me that it's something she'd like to do on another trip, when she can dedicate more time to explore the country. "Germany and Greece deserve another trip", those were her words =oP .

VEEEERY good :)

lilly
lilly Posted Wed 25 Jun, 2008 8:24 PM Quote
Monica wrote:
I'm from Madrid. Here are my recommendations:

Museo del Prado
El Retiro
Santiago Bernabéu Stadium
La Plaza Mayor
La Catedral de la Almudena

The Prado: Yes. But if she prefers modern art, she should go to the Reina Sofia instead (yes, although the Prado is a one-of-a-kind museum, it's still not interesting for people who just don't like Goya...). Personally, I liked the Museo de Arte Thyssen Bonhemisza best (5 euro for students), they have a bit of everything from Holbein to modern painters, and you do kind of a tour through the history of art when you start at the top floor and work your way down. there's also a lot of imressionist paintings which I adored...

Retiro: YES! definitely. BUT she HAS to be VERY VERY (VERY VERY) careful with her bag there!! VERY. And I mean...VERY careful. Amazingly, I was the only person at my workplace who managed to stay 4 months in Madrid without "losing" stuff (=the thieves didn't even try to get stuff from me). Maybe it was because a) I was careful and b) I looked kind of southern-European. But it's not a joke if the guy in Madrid's inner-city Starbucks comes to you and tells you to put your bag on your knees and hold it tight. Or when people in the underground advise you to carry your backpack on your front side...

Santiago Bernabeu: It's nice, but it costs 15(!!) Euro to go inside. Without a guide. You get a map and do the tour alone, so you can spend as much time as you want inside, sitting on the coaches' benches etc, but it's really too expensive (crazy, 15 Euro for WALKING around on your own...)... I think it's more for Real Madrid fans than for anyone else.

Plaza Mayor; Well, she can have a look at it on the way to the Rastro if she spends a Sunday morning in Madrid. I'm sure it's mentioned in every guide, and it's great (but again, be careful with the handbag!)

La Catedral de la Almudena: Mónica is going to HIT me, but the Almudena was the ugliest cathedral I've ever seen. Really. If your friend, by the time she gets there, has seen London's and Paris' cathedrals, this one will be very disappointing (because it's ... well, I heard people FROM MAdrid say it... it's just a mixture of styles that adds up to nothing you want to watch for a long time...)

in addition (things you might not read in every guide):
Spend an evening in the barrio of Malasaña: eat pizza on the Plaza Dos de Mayo, in the smaller kind of "vintage"-looking pizza place, "Pizza Marravilla" or something like that.) but only if the weather is nice. or/and go drink sth on the other side of the plaza dos de mayo in the little turquoise bar/cafe there (forgot name, something with an "M..."), and they've got really nice quiche as well!!)
AND eat a CAKE in the "Delic" in the barrio La Latina (Costillana San Andrés, or sth like that, but everyone there knows it ;) ), it's amaaaazing!!!

have to resume watching football now :)

sara spain
sara spain Posted Wed 25 Jun, 2008 8:38 PM Quote
If your friend wants sun, hot weather, and tourist drinking all time
come here.
Mallorca

http://www.mallorcavacaciones.com/playa_mallorca.jpg

lilly
lilly Posted Wed 25 Jun, 2008 10:55 PM Quote
sara spain wrote:
If your friend wants sun, hot weather, and tourist drinking all time
come here.
Mallorca

(but if she goes to the "wrong places" there she will NEVER want to see Germany! ;D )

Aletways
Aletways Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 12:05 AM Quote
Thank you people for your tips about Spain! I sent my friend the link to this thread so she can check out your recommendations herself, thank you!

And please keep telling me more, I'm really enjoying this, even though I'm not the one going =o) .

Monica
Monica Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 10:27 AM Quote
pixiedixie wrote:
I´m sorry but the Almudena is the ugliest cathedral I know...

lilly wrote:
La Catedral de la Almudena: Mónica is going to HIT me, but the Almudena was the ugliest cathedral I've ever seen. Really. If your friend, by the time she gets there, has seen London's and Paris' cathedrals, this one will be very disappointing (because it's ... well, I heard people FROM MAdrid say it... it's just a mixture of styles that adds up to nothing you want to watch for a long time...)

I like it http://www.teenfront.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/blush.gif http://www.teenfront.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/blush.gif

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 11:01 AM Quote
Although your friend probably didn't consider Istanbul in his/her holiday plan,I definitely recommend you to come and visit Istanbul as well.Below you can find some famous pictures.Hope she/he enjoys her/his holiday.

Ortakoy and Bosphorus Bridge
http://mefeka34.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/ortakoy-camii-gece-2.jpg

Taksim(oh i love this place!)

http://80.190.202.79/pic/k/kulturguncesi/istanbul-karli.jpg

Levent

http://www.medyaline.com/haberresim/levent_istanbul.jpg

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 11:04 AM Quote
ohhh really beautiful pics!!
I love Taksim pic!nice place :)

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 11:07 AM Quote
Chiito-chan wrote:
ohhh really beautiful pics!!
I love Taksim pic!nice place :)

Taksim is my favorite place in Istanbul(as well as most of the students' :P ) Because you can shop,drink a beer,and enjoy the historic atmosphere at the same time!

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 2:56 PM Quote
Monica wrote:
pixiedixie wrote:
I´m sorry but the Almudena is the ugliest cathedral I know...

lilly wrote:

I like it http://www.teenfront.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/blush.gif http://www.teenfront.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/blush.gif

when was the last time you went inside? ;p

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 3:05 PM Quote
Aletways wrote:
Thanks again everyone!!! Do you know any particular places to eat that aren't too expensive? And shops?

Barcelona:
Restaurante "Els Quatre Gats"
En este restaurante Woody Allen grabó una escena de su nueva película: Vicky-Cristina Barcelona. Con Scarlet Johansson, Penélope Cruz, Javier Bardem y de la otra nunca me acuerdo xD.
Es un restaurante importante en Barcelona (no tanto pero es muy conocido).

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 3:05 PM Quote
Aletways wrote:
Thanks again everyone!!! Do you know any particular places to eat that aren't too expensive? And shops?

Barcelona:
Restaurante "Els Quatre Gats"
En este restaurante Woody Allen grabó una escena de su nueva película: Vicky-Cristina Barcelona. Con Scarlet Johansson, Penélope Cruz, Javier Bardem y de la otra nunca me acuerdo xD.

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 4:17 PM