Travis

Re: Do you reckon....
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 3:22 PM Quote
Absolutely. There needs to be a balance. I'd love the album to be MASSIVE but maybe after a while I'd be disappointed that I'd have lost MY Travis, or OUR Travis if you get what I mean.

So when it comes to it, I hope the singles do ok, I think singles are the biggest form of promotion but of course to make them a success, they need promoting themselves. Its not going to he easy. And I hope the album does better than TBWNN and 12 Memories. 2x platinum would be a good start. Puts them in the Kasabian, Muse area I believe.

Travis aren't as big as they used to be. I think the band, and the fans, are for the first time not expecting the album to be big. I thought 12 Memories was going to be of course like the previous 2 and I thought TBWNN would bring back some fans that had been lost but that didn't happen.

The new songs are great and as long as they sound good recorded, there are 3 or 4 great singles there that could do ok and help push the album forward. They need to advertise the album, maybe even the first single, and if they want to it would help if they do a bit of TV. Jools Holland, Jonathan Woss etc. Get the name Travis out there.

You can say 'oh as long as they keep making music' etc and that's 100% right, but I don't think its as simple as that. They can't do that if only a few thousand buy the stuff they release.

Cross our fingers they do things right and that it goes ok. :)

milos
milos Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 4:49 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Absolutely. There needs to be a balance. I'd love the album to be MASSIVE but maybe after a while I'd be disappointed that I'd have lost MY Travis, or OUR Travis if you get what I mean.

So when it comes to it, I hope the singles do ok, I think singles are the biggest form of promotion but of course to make them a success, they need promoting themselves. Its not going to he easy. And I hope the album does better than TBWNN and 12 Memories. 2x platinum would be a good start. Puts them in the Kasabian, Muse area I believe.

Travis aren't as big as they used to be. I think the band, and the fans, are for the first time not expecting the album to be big. I thought 12 Memories was going to be of course like the previous 2 and I thought TBWNN would bring back some fans that had been lost but that didn't happen.

The new songs are great and as long as they sound good recorded, there are 3 or 4 great singles there that could do ok and help push the album forward. They need to advertise the album, maybe even the first single, and if they want to it would help if they do a bit of TV. Jools Holland, Jonathan Woss etc. Get the name Travis out there.

You can say 'oh as long as they keep making music' etc and that's 100% right, but I don't think its as simple as that. They can't do that if only a few thousand buy the stuff they release.

Cross our fingers they do things right and that it goes ok. :)

I agree completely. You pretty much said everything i wanted to. Besides, there's nothing "wrong" with being successful unless you are doing something just to be popular, which Travis are certainly not. They deserve to be more successful and i really think the new album will do well. I just hope they choose the "right" first single. From what i heard, Song to Self sounds like a perfect choice to me.

I also hope that this time the critics will first listen to the album and THEN review it, since i had the impression that at least half of reviews for TBWNN were written without even giving the album a chance. Some of them were laughably ridiculous. Not that i care about the reviews.. I actually couldn't care less, but i guess it all affects the general media "opinion" of the album.

rebekah
rebekah Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 5:04 PM Quote
i suppose it does't matter really..i mean as long as us lot buy it and love it (which we will) then i'm sure Travis will be happy chaps :)

Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 5:04 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

Travis aren't as big as they used to be.

I thought TBWNN would bring back some fans that had been lost but that didn't happen.

The new songs are great and as long as they sound good recorded

1. Sad, but true. Glad I'm not the only person who thinks this. They aren't Coldplay (thank goodness!!). Travis is not a stadium band. But that doesn't mean to say that the music doesn't deserve the chance to chart high and achieve commercial success.

2. Sad, but true!

3. I might be the only person on this forum who isn't in a position to agree or otherwise, but I have no idea if this is true or not. I have heard a blast of J Smith the track, and that's it. How have so many people heard it? I obviously wasn't lurking on the day the files got leaked!

But I digress....

I just think the fans should keep expectations in perspective, don't want any disappointment!

And message to reviewers:

milos wrote:
I also hope that this time the critics will first listen to the album and THEN review it, since i had the impression that at least half of reviews for TBWNN were written without even giving the album a chance

Got that???? Loud and clear????? Good!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 7:10 PM Quote
Hey. I don't see how anyone can say they're a big band anymore. I'm not saying they're small though, I was really comparing them to their old selves really. The Boy's not even reached platinum here. :( The Man Who is close to going 10x I believe, if it hasn't just already. That's HUGE! Coldplay haven't done that here for one album.

The songs on The Boy, i think, are brilliant. That's not the problem. Never saw them live before but I also hear they're playing better than ever, so musically there's no problem. And the new stuff is fantastic.

About J Smith. It was played on American (I think) radio and eventually got ripped by someone and of course, made its way around. Fran said that was ok but to not put on YouTube. And I don't believe it is either. J Smith isn't REALLY an indication of how the other songs sound. Its loud as are most of the others but people who've only heard J Smith are putting a little too much on this gothic/horror theme. The album (I say the album but of course I only mean the live versions of the songs) isn't really like that.

Release Song To Self, Long Way Down, Last Words and Quite Free I think. Though without hearing the finished versions we can't be 100% sure.

TK23
TK23 Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 8:26 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
after a while I'd be disappointed that I'd have lost MY Travis, or OUR Travis if you get what I mean.

Yes, that's what I meant! As much as I'd like them to be the most successful men in the music business (they deserve it!), I'd be downright heartbroken if I saw 'our Travis' become some huge, I-hear-this-band-everywhere type of band. They're too 'special' and down to earth for that. Maybe I'm just selfish! : P

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 9:09 PM Quote
Ahhh ok, I understand. :) I agree on that but TBWNN didn't sell very much at all. I'd be disappointed if Ode To J Smith goes the same way, because if things get much worse, they really will be 'our Travis' because we'll be the only ones buying their albums.

TK23
TK23 Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:05 PM Quote
Haha! Oh no! Nah, I think Ode To J Smith will do very well- from what I've heard, it sounds amaaazing! ; )

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:27 PM Quote
It is but that's what we've been talking about. The fact it's amazing isn't enough, unfortunately. There has to be more done for it to be successful. I'm not talking mega sales. Just a couple of times platinum here. Not sure on world sales of the albums so I don't know about the world. :)

Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:53 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
The fact it's amazing isn't enough, unfortunately. There has to be more done for it to be successful.

Think you're wasting your breath trying to make the point here, but for what it's worth I agree.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 3:18 AM Quote
rebekah wrote:
i suppose it does't matter really..i mean as long as us lot buy it and love it (which we will) then i'm sure Travis will be happy chaps :)

I don't want to disagree with you my friend but I'm afraid I'm going to have to. Obviously the band will be happy if we like it but if only us few hundred buy it, the album will quite obviously be an absolute failure, and quite frankly the band would probably split up. Without wanting to sound too dramatic, that would be one of the worst days of my life. That obviously won't happen, the album will reach more people than just us lot. But how many more people?...

Let me put it this way. Viva La Vida went platinum here in 3 days. That's 3 DAYS! :) That's great, we're Coldplay fans. :) The Boy With No Name has not gone platinum yet and its been out over 13 months... it probably will one day as each Travis album released will help sell a few copies of the other albums.

Anyway, that's what I think. :) I sometimes forget Fran reads the board. I wonder what he thinks of my nonsense. LOL. Love you Fran. :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 3:21 AM Quote
Tonie wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
The fact it's amazing isn't enough, unfortunately. There has to be more done for it to be successful.

Think you're wasting your breath trying to make the point here, but for what it's worth I agree.

Thank you. ;) hehe

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 5:51 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
There needs to be a balance. I'd love the album to be MASSIVE but maybe after a while I'd be disappointed that I'd have lost MY Travis, or OUR Travis if you get what I mean ...... You can say 'oh as long as they keep making music' etc and that's 100% right, but I don't think its as simple as that. They can't do that if only a few thousand buy the stuff they release.

Ben, you've pretty much summed it up. I agree 100 percent with this. Balance.

I'm a Coldplay fan, but do I want Travis to be as massive as Coldplay has become? Absolutely not. Don't get me wrong, I want Ode to J. Smith to be hugely successful for them because they're the most underrated and talented band in the world IMO. I'd love to see Travis sell a ton more records, get more radio and TV attention and whatnot (especially here in the States), but not to the Coldplay level. It's just too much!

milos
milos Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 10:12 AM Quote
I hope that the new album will convert some new fans and bring back the old ones, so that more people buy not just Ode to J. Smith but also TBWNN. The songs are really great and deserve to be heard. In a way, it's still "new". Especially today when bands usually take a couple of years to make an album. According to wikipedia, TBWNN has sold even less then 12 Memories. :(

lost-angel
lost-angel Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 11:45 AM Quote

From the point of view of a recent Travis enthusiast, I really hope they do something different on the next album in terms of promotion because I really regret that I haven’t discover them a long time ago. It might be an error on my part but the blame goes both ways.

Despite the impressive records after records Travis has been creating, I feel it doesn’t get much press so I understand why some are annoyed with it. I guess finding new fans is a bigger challenge, with the old fans; I feel they always maintain an interest with the band and waiting for something different. No idea how the new album sounds but I hope it will. With Ode to J.Smith, hopefully the core fans will renew their interest and get a proper reaction from new ones.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:36 AM