Travis

Creaky Boards v. Coldplay
Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 5:13 PM Quote
This morning on the radio I heard that the band Creaky Boards is claiming Coldplay stole the melody to a song they wrote ironically called "The Songs I didn't Write" ... Here it is on YOUTUBE.

What do you guys think? It is very similar to "Viva La Vida," but I think there are so many songs that feature the same melody/chord progression these days it's nothing new, really. Both songs are good, in my opinion.

Re: Creaky Boards v. Coldplay
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 5:22 PM Quote
While I hear some similarities, they aren't significant enough to me to make me think Coldplay stole this song.

And they "thought" they saw Chris Martin in the audience?? Please. That's hardly proof of anything.

I just have a hard time thinking someone who is such a talented prolific songwriter would need to steal. And why would he take that risk?

Take them to court if you really think they're plagiarizing you. Probably made the video because they've been told it's not a strong enough case.

http://masklinnscans.free.fr/4chan/fail.jpg

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 5:28 PM Quote
well now you've heard of creaky boards bet you didn't before .

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 5:31 PM Quote
LOL! Nice use of FAIL.

I tend to agree, although, I do like both tracks. Hey, at least if they don't have a good enough case to take Coldplay to court they sure are getting a lot of publicity and hits to their Myspace and Youtube pages. I never heard of Creaky Boards prior to this. Kind of a cute band name.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 5:43 PM Quote
Yeah their song sounds nice and they seem like a fun band but now I have a bad taste in my mouth so I'll pass on becoming a fan.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 5:46 PM Quote
wonder if they have a creaky messageboard ?

Monica
Monica Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 5:49 PM Quote
Some people say that Violet Hill is like California :S

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 5:52 PM Quote
Monica wrote:

i hate that song

Monica
Monica Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 5:58 PM Quote
Why? :p

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 5:58 PM Quote
Monica wrote:

O.C.!!! lol, good ol' days are back again ;P

spid
spid Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 6:05 PM Quote
Hmmmm, I wonder about people sometimes - do they realsie that they are actually only 8 nots in a scale (plus the sharps and flats) and that putting them together is bound to lead to a little similarities in some songs. Not that I think these are that similar.

Did any of you go to the yellow/ lloyd webber one? What a complete load of tosh!

Coldplay are great, Creakyboards decidedly in need of a nail or two!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 6:11 PM Quote
This was a comment under the YouTube video:

The band's representative said that the track 'Viva La Vida' was written and recorded as a demo in March 2007, seven months before Creaky Boards's CMJ show.

Martin's diary also revealed that the singer couldn't have attended a Creaky Boards gig in October 2007 because he was at London's AIR Studios.

I can't personally verify the truth of those statements but I tend to think it's true since as is obvious in my post above, I doubt Creaky Boards' story.

EDIT: OK, here is a link to a story that is more legit than a YouTube comment:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/2008/06/16/coldplay-angrily-deny-plagiarism-claims-over-viva-la-vida-89520-20609397/

Monica
Monica Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 6:16 PM Quote
Thanks Anne ;)

TheInvisibleBoy
TheInvisibleBoy Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 6:22 PM Quote
Well I dunno what to make about them seeing Chris Martin at a gig, for all they know it might have been someone who looked like him (a bit off topic but a guy in a pub toilet told me I looked like him and people at school said it too) but yeah if it was him I'm sure if he was getting into their song, like they said, he would have maybe stayed behind to have a chat with them or they would have pointed him out inbetween songs or tried to see him at the end. I would have definetly thought they'd have said it in a blog or something on MySpace after the gig if they did see him, so if they have said that fair enough but I take their claims of seeing him with a pinch of salt.

Taking nothing away from them though it is a good song, it has similarities to Viva la Vida but then again there are a lot of songs that sound similar to others. Someone could make a song without actually realising it sounds like another song if the bands aren't big and well publicised. It's like Fran when he said he wrote Writing To Reach You, he wrote it and then realised it sounded similar to Wonderwall by Oasis, he didn't set out to copy it or anything and to me they are two totally different songs, I like both of them and both the bands didn't fight over it.

This is what I don't like though, when one band claims another nicked their song and they are all bitter, but then again the band claiming it aren't really famous so I suppose it's publicity although I see it as bad publicity as they seem bitter but then again if it is true I probably would feel the same if I was them, but they need proof to prove that.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 6:23 PM Quote
OK, now I am a bit peeved. According to this article
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b143017_coldplay_accused_of_foul_play.html

Creaky Boards KNOWS Coldplay didn't plagiarize them. And yet the video is still up? I know people can repost it but don't they have some responsibility to say, "oops, my bad?"

Check this douchey quote out:

"Soon after the video blew up, I received a call from Coldplay's manager. They were really nice about the whole thing and explained about their whereabouts and old demos. I guess the song similarities are just a coincidence...great minds think alike?

"Anyway, I must have been mistaken about seeing Chris at the show because all British people look the same. I lived in London for six weeks and I seriously thought every third person on the corner was Coldplay."

Pages [1] 2 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:28 PM