Travis

Oreo cookies
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 25 May, 2008 2:16 AM Quote
My hubby just told me that he heard a story that Oreo cookies have just been widely introduced over in the UK.

He said the ad shows a boy twisting it and dunking it in milk and that some UKers are responding that this is gross and that you dunk cookies....oh, allright, BISCUITS in tea.

Thoughts?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c3/Oreocookie.jpg/180px-Oreocookie.jpg

A BBC article that made me laugh

Re: Oreo cookies
DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Sun 25 May, 2008 2:18 AM Quote
Dunking Oreos in Milk is the ONLY way to eat them. I can't stomach them otherwise. I mean, unless they're coated in a layer of fudge with mint flavored creme in the middle.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 25 May, 2008 2:26 AM Quote
Milk, of course! Because who wants all that Oreo sludge at the bottom of their teacup? But with milk, the Oreo sludge at the bottom is goooooood stuff!

And wouldn't tea make the cookie hot? Who wants hot Oreos? It would make the cream all melty. BLECH! Cold milk is the only way to go.

It's a good thing the commercial is showing the proper way to do it. "I'm an Oreo, and this is what you do with me." Ha ha!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sun 25 May, 2008 2:30 AM Quote
in a milkshake ?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 25 May, 2008 2:31 AM Quote
The BBC article indicates people are offended by being "told" how to eat them. I couldn't possibly eat an Oreo without milk, but, hey, knock yourself out.

Just curious if our friends on the other side of the pond have tried them and find them too sweet.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 25 May, 2008 2:32 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
in a milkshake ?

Most delicious. And cookies and cream ice cream is so tasty.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 25 May, 2008 3:12 AM Quote
im not from the UK, but expressing my Oreo opinion
a-they are fantastic
b-they are good dipped in milk, but i usually just twist, eat the icing and eat cookie
c-cookies dipped in tea are delightful. Especially digestives.

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Sun 25 May, 2008 5:49 AM Quote
I don't want to live in a world w/o oreo's n milk! I don't even do oreo's that often but DAMN, if I didn't have the option I'd die ;) I'm surprised they haven't been introduced to the UK until now.

Aletways
Aletways Posted Sun 25 May, 2008 6:02 AM Quote
I love Oreos.
There used to be a comercial here a few years ago with two kids. The older kid tought the small one how to eat them: he first sepparated the two cookies, ate the cream in the middle, then joined the two cookies again and dipped the Oreo in milk. The little kid had a non-spill baby cup, so he couldn't dip the cookie.

I dip the Oreos in milk of course, but I don't eat the cream first, I think that's gross.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm Juli. My sister's logged in and I didn't notice that.

Aletways
Aletways Posted Sun 25 May, 2008 6:10 AM Quote
Aletways wrote:
I love Oreos.
There used to be a comercial here a few years ago with two kids. The older kid tought the small one how to eat them: he first sepparated the two cookies, ate the cream in the middle, then joined the two cookies again and dipped the Oreo in milk. The little kid had a non-spill baby cup, so he couldn't dip the cookie.

I dip the Oreos in milk of course, but I don't eat the cream first, I think that's gross.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm Juli. My sister's logged in and I didn't notice that.

(I know that technically I'm quoting myself, but that was Juli's post =oP .)

We don't dip them in milk, we dip them in chocolate milk. The best way to eat oreos!

TK23
TK23 Posted Sun 25 May, 2008 7:32 AM Quote
Interesting!

Now I want some Oreos... and to watch 'Rounders' ; ]

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Sun 25 May, 2008 9:50 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
in a milkshake ?

"my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard..." hahaha sorry couldn't help myself.

spid
spid Posted Sun 25 May, 2008 10:25 AM Quote
Yea - Orea's - we love them! No milk though or tea just plain. My kids think they are really great.

For dunking in tea - rich tea biscuits are best as they don't crumble as much as digestives (and I don't really like digestives) - however I'd rather not adulterate my tea with crumbs so I don't dunk really - maybe 4-5 times in my life. It is also best to dunk with 'cafe-tea' i.e. tea made in a cup (yuck) not a tea pot and that has to have sugar added to give the hot coloured water any decent taste. (I'm a bit of a tea snob). Oh, and yes to milk in tea.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 25 May, 2008 11:11 AM Quote
The British Viewpoint

I'm not sure whether they'll catch on or not, I've never had one or seen anyone else have one despite the adverts on every bus that comes past. People don't really dunk biscuits, maybe at home, but never in a restaurant - even dunking in tea is a bit risqué :) It's just not something we do.
Also, I think traditional digestives, custard creams etc. are too well estblished for Oreos to create a huge amount of interest, but maybe they will become popular over time.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sun 25 May, 2008 11:32 AM Quote
Showing my age here, but I think Oreos were first introduced in concept to the UK by Frankie Goes to Hollywood in the 80's. The song Americanos:

"Americanos, blue jeans and chinos, pepsi and oreos. Americano-o-o-s..."Pretty rubbish song!

They're ok. Wouldn't rush out to buy them. Isn't it supposed to be a widely accepted view that the US doesn't do biscuits/ chocolates anywhere near as well as the Brits???? :) (I love the US, don't get me wrong. Am just quoting something from someone somewhere at sometime in the past!!!)

On the matter of dunking, Natalie Imbruglia introduced Australian Tim Tams and dunking method, specific to that biscuit, to the UK a few years ago (corner to corner, and then suck!). Delicious, but they're v expensive to buy, so I've only done it once! Has anyone else tried it?

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:32 AM