Travis

Re: The Stanley Cup Final thread
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 19 Jun, 2008 11:24 PM Quote
Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 2:35 pm EDT
Red Wings' boozy confession: We jacked up the Stanley Cup

By Greg Wyshynski

With the help of "several truth-serum cocktails at the NHL Awards after-party," James Duthie, TSN host and blogger for the Ottawa Citizen, finds out the real story about the Detroit Red Wings having dented the Stanley Cup during their post-parade celebration at Cheli's Chili:

Here's what happened: Chris Chelios was atop the bar, Coyote Ugly style, Cup in hand, with the packed crowd cheering madly. At some point there was an attempted handoff to Brett Lebda. Whether it was the chaos of the crowd, or the...umm...content of the blood, balance was lost. Down went Lebda. Down went Stanley.

And no, the dent wasn't "slight."

In fact, it needed emergency service. Mike Bolt, the Keeper of the Cup, was taken to Joe Louis Arena, where Stan, like a forward who took a puck in the eye, was placed gently on the trainer's table in the Red Wings dressing room, and operated on.

Bolt had to use a hammer to carefully pop the dent out, a procedure that resembled neurosurgery in its intricacy. One of the bands that contain all the names popped off at one point. But like Bobby Baun, the Cup was right back out there for the rest of its appearances. Heroic.

Kudos to Duthie for relaying this entertaining information, collected from drunks at an awards show after-party. You, sir, are truly a member of the hockey blogosphere today. Please see Eric McErlain for your pledge pin.

Duthie also tells an interesting tale about George Parros of the Anaheim Ducks, who damaged the Cup before the Ducks' 2007 parade to the point where it had to be disassembled and rebuilt in a matter of moments. There's apparently something called "The Parros Dent" still visible on the Cup. If it's shaped like an evil mustache, we think it could be one of those supernatural occurrences, like finding Christ on a pancake.

The Parros Dent will heal the follicly challenged! Bring out your bald!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 2:57 AM Quote
I told ya James Duthie was awesome! lol
that was pretty funny. I want to be Stanley's surgeon, but the dude that gets to do it is pretty cool. And even had his own Mastercard commerical a few years back

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 5:50 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
that was pretty funny. I want to be Stanley's surgeon, but the dude that gets to do it is pretty cool. And even had his own Mastercard commerical a few years back

I have a feeling that dude with the white gloves, the so-called "keeper of the cup," talks to the cup when nobody is around. He probably lives with it, sleeps with it and showers with it and stuff. :P

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 2:42 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
minnmess wrote:

I have a feeling that dude with the white gloves, the so-called "keeper of the cup," talks to the cup when nobody is around. He probably lives with it, sleeps with it and showers with it and stuff. :P

I think he was out to lunch or something when I saw the cup. It was just me and two guys I worked with alone with it. One of whom was the photographer who took my picture with it and never gave me the picture...have I mentioned that? Anyway, we were kind of afraid to touch it, like an alarm would go off or something. It was so shiny.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 2:59 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Nikki wrote:
minnmess wrote:

I think he was out to lunch or something when I saw the cup. I was just me and two guys I worked with alone with it. One of whom was the photographer who took my picture with it and never gave me the picture...have I mentioned that? Anyway, we were kind of afraid to touch it, like an alarm would go off or something. It was so shiny.

LOL! Yeah...I think I recall you mentioning that. :P
*sigh* I want to touch it.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 4:01 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
Nikki wrote:
minnmess wrote:

I think he was out to lunch or something when I saw the cup. I was just me and two guys I worked with alone with it. One of whom was the photographer who took my picture with it and never gave me the picture...have I mentioned that? Anyway, we were kind of afraid to touch it, like an alarm would go off or something. It was so shiny.

You mean you bff Stevie hasn't brought it over for a bbq or anything? shame!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 5:07 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
Nikki wrote:
minnmess wrote:

Actually, I called him the other day and he's coming over with his Jet Ski. We live on a lake so he can just strap Stanley on the back for old time sake and we'll go for a ride together. LOL! :)

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 3:58 AM Quote
Pennsylvania's gov drinking a Faygo, sporting a Wings jersey.

http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C4&Date=20080613&Category=SPORTS05&ArtNo=80613050&Ref=AR&Profile=1053&MaxW=320&Border=0

whats a faygo ?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 4:48 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
minnmess wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
Nikki wrote:
minnmess wrote:

Actually, I called him the other day and he's coming over with his Jet Ski. We live on a lake so he can just strap Stanley on the back for old time sake and we'll go for a ride together. LOL! :)

Make sure Stan wears a lifejacket!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 5:17 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
Pennsylvania's gov drinking a Faygo, sporting a Wings jersey.

http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C4&Date=20080613&Category=SPORTS05&ArtNo=80613050&Ref=AR&Profile=1053&MaxW=320&Border=0

whats a faygo ?

What's Faygo?!? It's pop made in Michigan. Good stuff. Mmm...Faygo and Better Made chips. Kayte knows. ;)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 2:12 PM Quote
One of the BEST COMMERCIALS EVER was for Faygo. Poor Nikki is too young to remember this jewel:

Faygo Song

Famous Faygo flavors include (but are not limited to)
Creme Soda
Red Pop (You just have to taste it to understand...I don't care for it personally, though.)
Rock & Rye

And that boat they are on is the Boblo Boat. Boblo is an island (I think it belongs to Ontario) where they used to have an amusement park. Taking the big boat to Boblo Island was soooo cool as a kid. Sea gulls would follow the boat and you could toss Cheetos to them and the gulls would catch them in mid-air. Ah, good times.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 2:33 PM Quote
faygo make a ginger ale ?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 2:55 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

They don't have to. VERNORS! Duh!!!
You need to take a vacation to the mitten, maZn.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 2:58 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
ricv64 wrote:

I swore I'd never step foot in Ohio again , MI is too close for comfort

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 3:01 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
ricv64 wrote:

I swore I'd never step foot in Ohio again , MI is too close for comfort

Ohio may border us, but they're a million miles away.
Tell us about your loathing of Ohio....does this mean you also avoid Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania?

Pages Previous 1...7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:42 AM