ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 6:01 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Nikki wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
Too bad the Grande Ballroom wasn't in yours

The Grande Ballroom? You're living in the past, amigo. It's been closed and vacant for a long time, and as Wiki points has it has fallen into a state of disrepair.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/29/Grande_Ballroom_Detroit_Rock_Music_Landmark_on_Grand_River.jpg/300px-Grande_Ballroom_Detroit_Rock_Music_Landmark_on_Grand_River.jpg

I know , you guys should fix it up , get your mayor on it asap.

Pfffffff! That's a good one, Ric!

I think he has other issues right now!

a mayors job is to lead , that is a civic resposibility to revamp that venue . Look the ORIGINAL Fillmore was fixed up and TRAVIS has played there like 4 times . Travis could play there and Fran can say the magic MC-5 words , " It's time to Kick out the Jams mutha fuckas "

Re: THE OFFICIAL FLAT TRAVIS PROJECT THREAD
minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 6:06 PM Quote
Ric, he just got out of jail (is he going back for violating bond again?)

TK23
TK23 Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 6:09 PM Quote
Chiito-chan wrote:

Well done! You took TONS of pictures!

btw, watching Chiito-chan's video I noticed how massive Flat Dougie's head looks compared to the others, it's quite cute : P

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 6:14 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

No, the judge ruled it was not a violation. Apparently he was visiting his mother and his sister came over (she lives next door to the mother).

Other than staying out of jail, a dysfunctional City Council, a school system that is beyond failing, violent crime and poverty--renovating the Grande Ballroom is going to be a top priority for the mayor.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 6:21 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
minnmess wrote:

No, the judge ruled it was not a violation. Apparently he was visiting his mother and his sister came over (she lives next door to the mother).

Other than staying out of jail, a dysfunctional City Council, a school system that is beyond failing, violent crime and poverty--renovating the Grande Ballroom is going to be a top priority for the mayor.

is education run by the cities in the States?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 6:42 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

Well, there's a State Board of Education that has certain standards that are supposed to be upheld. There's statewide testing and stuff...BUT it is up to the individual school districts to implement the educational goals. Detroit has problems with school funding (think corruption and pocket lining??) and the children aren't achieving (for many reasons: poverty, lack of parental involvement, etc.) and they have a very high drop out rate (teen pregnancy, and who knows, just not caring? Drugs maybe?). Some schools I heard make kids bring their own toilet paper, or it is given out on an "as needed" basis because the toilet paper would disappear if they left it out. There is also a lot of violence in the schools. Some schools have the kids go through metal detectors as they enter the building because there have been so many incidences of kids bringing guns to school!

Detroit has a lot of tough issues to face. It just seems like it never recovered from the 60's race riots. Some areas literally look like war zones. You wonder why houses can look like they were bombed and then just left there. Kids live and play next door to vacant, dangerous buildings. It's really bad for kids.

All major cities have some of these issues, but it seems like Detroit has all the bad aspects of a big city, but not much of the good. Like shopping--no one goes to Detroit to shop. You leave Detroit to shop.

I will get down off my soap box now. ;o)

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 6:58 PM Quote
Chiito-chan wrote:

BRAVO little chiito!! great video!! :D

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 7:01 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
minnmess wrote:

Well, there's a State Board of Education that has certain standards that are supposed to be upheld. There's statewide testing and stuff...BUT it is up to the individual school districts to implement the educational goals. Detroit has problems with school funding (think corruption and pocket lining??) and the children aren't achieving (for many reasons: poverty, lack of parental involvement, etc.) and they have a very high drop out rate (teen pregnancy, and who knows, just not caring? Drugs maybe?). Some schools I heard make kids bring their own toilet paper, or it is given out on an "as needed" basis because the toilet paper would disappear if they left it out. There is also a lot of violence in the schools. Some schools have the kids go through metal detectors as they enter the building because there have been so many incidences of kids bringing guns to school!

Detroit has a lot of tough issues to face. It just seems like it never recovered from the 60's race riots. Some areas literally look like war zones. You wonder why houses can look like they were bombed and then just left there. Kids live and play next door to vacant, dangerous buildings. It's really bad for kids.

All major cities have some of these issues, but it seems like Detroit has all the bad aspects of a big city, but not much of the good. Like shopping--no one goes to Detroit to shop. You leave Detroit to shop.

I will get down off my soap box now. ;o)

that sounds rough. Im glad i had toilet paper provided, and didnt have to go through a metal detector. I hope a lot of these things can get sorted out in the foreseebale future.
If not, there is a happy little (or you know, freakishly giant) country to the north that likes Travis/Red Wings fans :)

moo_the_evil_boffin
moo_the_evil_boffin Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 7:28 PM Quote
Hey, sorry to bring this up again, but I was under the impression that I was taking Flat Travis to the show in London, but Eledh is taking them now. Maybe we can work something out so that I can have them for that night as its the only show I'm going to and the only one I'll be able to attend this year.

Eledh, maybe we can work something out if we're both going to be there?

Not trying to be pushy but I was quite looking forward to having them for then.

Eledh
Eledh Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 7:33 PM Quote
moo_the_evil_boffin wrote:
Hey, sorry to bring this up again, but I was under the impression that I was taking Flat Travis to the show in London, but Eledh is taking them now. Maybe we can work something out so that I can have them for that night as its the only show I'm going to and the only one I'll be able to attend this year.

For me it's ok! :)
Really, I can give them to you as soon as we see each other in london! :)
And we coult take picture together with them :P

moo_the_evil_boffin
moo_the_evil_boffin Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 7:35 PM Quote
Eledh wrote:

For me it's ok! :)
Really, I can give them to you as soon as we see each other in london! :)
And we coult take picture together with them :P

Sounds good!

So how are you? Do you remember me from brighton this February? I was the girl with looooong brown hair and wearing a huge coat lol.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 8:33 PM Quote

Yes, you can do a Flat Travis exchange like Sara and Monica are doing in Spain. That'll work out, aye?

Sorry about the mix-up, Moo. I was trying to squeeze in as many concerts as I could and some are so close together and sometimes I forget what I promised. Sorry!!! But I think it'll work if Eledh gives FT to you on Oct. 8. I like the idea of the FT hand-off anyway, as it promotes Boardie meetings!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 8:35 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

Yes, you can do a Flat Travis exchange like Sara and Monica are doing in Spain. That'll work out, aye?

Sorry about the mix-up, Moo. I was trying to squeeze in as many concerts as I could and some are so close together and sometimes I forget what I promised. Sorry!!! But I think it'll work if Eledh gives FT to you on Oct. 8. I like the idea of the FT hand-off anyway, as it promotes Boardie meetings!

Ft. Bringing the world together, one boardie at a time.

moo_the_evil_boffin
moo_the_evil_boffin Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 8:41 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

No probs. Now I've got even more reason to look forward to October lol!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 12 Aug, 2008 8:43 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Ft. Bringing the world together, one boardie at a time.

LoL! :) Aw, how sweet!

Pages Previous 1...30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:33 PM