Travis

UK - Language bar for skilled workers
Aletways
Aletways Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 8:14 PM Quote

Link to The Times article

I think it sucks how the whole thing is presented as if the only problem with this measure was that it applies to football players. It's about xenophobia. Most EU countries have language barriers as well, so it's obviously a way to discriminate against poor countries. Besides, it only applies to skilled workers, because immigrants do the worst jobs, those the british wouldn't do, and they want it to stay that way.

Re: UK - Language bar for skilled workers
yuriblury
yuriblury Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 8:56 PM Quote

I think if you’re traveling to another country you should learn at least the basic, like thanks, please, bathroom, food lol, that’s my thought

But anyway if you learn the language doesn’t always mean that you’ll understand what people say.

On April I went on vacation to Scotland…I was amazed by Edinburgh and rocked by Glasgow. My native language is Spanish and I studied English for 3 years. Once I arrived Scotland those 3 years seemed pretty useless, couldn’t understand a thing, it was so frustrated but I managed myself to handle the situation.

If you learn Spanish and travel to Chile, you probably won’t understand how we speak

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 8:57 PM Quote
yuriblury wrote:

I think if you’re traveling to another country you should learn at least the basic, like thanks, please, bathroom, food lol, that’s my thought

But anyway if you learn the language doesn’t always mean that you’ll understand what people say.

On April I went on vacation to Scotland…I was amazed by Edinburgh and rocked by Glasgow. My native language is Spanish and I studied English for 3 years. Once I arrived Scotland those 3 years seemed pretty useless, couldn’t understand a thing, it was so frustrated but I managed myself to handle the situation.

If you learn Spanish and travel to Chile, you probably won’t understand how we speak

you didn't understand the language coz they bloody don't speak english !

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 9:07 PM Quote
where's this bar ?

Aletways
Aletways Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 9:39 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
where's this bar ?

I thought the same when I first read the title of the article, but who knows? If they call it like that, all I can do is copy...

yuriblury
yuriblury Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 10:01 PM Quote
“hey dude, where is my bar?”
I’d love to see that movie lol

yuriblury
yuriblury Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 10:01 PM Quote
“hey dude, where is my bar?”
I’d love to see that movie lol

yuriblury
yuriblury Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 10:02 PM Quote
Sorry can’t control my index finger lol

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 10:04 PM Quote
yuriblury wrote:
Sorry can’t control my index finger lol

I gave her the ring and she gave me the finger

monkey
monkey Posted Sat 10 May, 2008 3:09 AM Quote
Aletways wrote:

I think it sucks how the whole thing is presented as if the only problem with this measure was that it applies to football players. It's about xenophobia. Most EU countries have language barriers as well, so it's obviously a way to discriminate against poor countries. Besides, it only applies to skilled workers, because immigrants do the worst jobs, those the british wouldn't do, and they want it to stay that way.

i agree with the article 100%. To cry discrimination when asking for “an ability to understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases, to introduce themselves and others and ask and answer question about basic personal details” is nonsense, it's asking for nothing more than a sign of courtesy and respect

Yulia Nox
Yulia Nox Posted Sat 10 May, 2008 5:06 AM Quote
I think it's pretty obvious :S. If you're going to another country you have to know about its language! And especially if you want to work over there!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 10 May, 2008 5:32 AM Quote
monkey wrote:
Aletways wrote:

i agree with the article 100%. To cry discrimination when asking for “an ability to understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases, to introduce themselves and others and ask and answer question about basic personal details” is nonsense, it's asking for nothing more than a sign of courtesy and respect

Yeah, well. There are a lot of countries in the EU that don't speak English as a mother tongue, so if the reason is that people should be able to communicate in English in order to work there, it should be applied to every country in the world that doesn't speak English as a native tongue.
It would make sense that way. But if you don't include the EU, then what you've got is Asia, Africa and Latin America (except for the former colonies).
If it was applied equaly to everybody that doesn't speak English, then I'd agree. But it applies only to people from certain countries that don't speak English. Which happen to be the countries that provide cheap work force.

It'd be a good and reasonable measure if it was applied indistinctively to people who don't speak English no matter where they come from. Otherwise, it's just a measure to prevent immigrants from "undesired" countries.
Anyway, it obviously has to do with power. Here no one would ask a british to know spanish in order to work in Argentina... So it doesn't surprise me one bit.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sat 10 May, 2008 7:23 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

Yeah, well. There are a lot of countries in the EU that don't speak English as a mother tongue, so if the reason is that people should be able to communicate in English in order to work there, it should be applied to every country in the world that doesn't speak English as a native tongue.
It would make sense that way. But if you don't include the EU, then what you've got is Asia, Africa and Latin America (except for the former colonies).
If it was applied equaly to everybody that doesn't speak English, then I'd agree. But it applies only to people from certain countries that don't speak English. Which happen to be the countries that provide cheap work force.

It'd be a good and reasonable measure if it was applied indistinctively to people who don't speak English no matter where they come from. Otherwise, it's just a measure to prevent immigrants from "undesired" countries.
Anyway, it obviously has to do with power. Here no one would ask a british to know spanish in order to work in Argentina... So it doesn't surprise me one bit.

I know a lot of immigrants want to go to the UK because it's quite easy to find a job as opposed to France for instance.
Unemployement is high in France and it's tough to find a position for locals so forget it if you're not french.
However loads of ppl in companies still use "foreign workforce" even tough they're illegal and don't have the required papers.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 4:57 PM