Travis

Re: weddings n stuff!
Ursina
Ursina Posted Wed 23 Apr, 2008 2:06 PM Quote
moominbadger wrote:
Ursina wrote:
if you want to do a quickie like we did, that's how it goes:

go to register office, find out the next free day (in our case, in 2 days) hubby buys new pair of jeans for the occasion, me a new dress, buy wedding ring (no time for ingravings) find 2 witnesses, go to pub the night before and tell your friends, get plastered in honour of the oocasion, wake up with hangover and go to register office, get married, phone parents to let them know, go for a really nice meal then home to watch the telly and cure hangover, next day go to work......... very romantic innit ??? lol

I actually REALLY like the sound of this!! Was anybody funny with you afterwards for not having invited them? Not that that matters any way cos it was your day, but I just wondered! Was there any point when you wished you had family there with you, or were you relieved not to have them interfering?

erm well our parents were maybe a wee bit disappointed, mainly because we didn't say anything beforehand but none of them said much about it. To be honest, as girls I used to dream of a big white wedding with all the family but no, it was great the way we've done it. :)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 23 Apr, 2008 2:33 PM Quote
Are you engaged?

Ours was kinda movie-inspired, too. And I was young enough to do something goofy. I would probably never do a "theme" wedding now. At the time we were totally into the whole Robin Hood/Renaissance Festival stuff and we had that type of a wedding. It was at a church. A few flowers, but mostly candle light. No pictures allowed during ceremony. I wore a wedding dress, but with one of those pointy hats and I sewed my husband's outfit and the attendants' outfits (which was very stressful trying to finish them all and make sure they fit--I was crazy for taking all that on) and our cake looked like a castle. It was the COOLEST cake EVER! This tiny cake place down the street did it. We had a dinner reception at a nearby restaurant, no dancing. The next day we went to a big park and took some pictures and then went home to STUDY because we both had mid-term exams the next day. I, uh...didn't do that well on my exams the next week if truth be told. We had our honeymoon at Disneyworld later.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2369/2435783253_54426c47b7_m.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2241/2435783211_7c5760f60c_m.jpg

Peewee
Peewee Posted Wed 23 Apr, 2008 2:35 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:
if you want to do a quickie like we did, that's how it goes:

go to register office, find out the next free day (in our case, in 2 days) hubby buys new pair of jeans for the occasion, me a new dress, buy wedding ring (no time for ingravings) find 2 witnesses, go to pub the night before and tell your friends, get plastered in honour of the oocasion, wake up with hangover and go to register office, get married, phone parents to let them know, go for a really nice meal then home to watch the telly and cure hangover, next day go to work......... very romantic innit ??? lol

I admire you! It worked for you, you had a nice day and that important. I would love something simple and stressfree like this. My bf's sister did it like this and then just went to a restaurant for dinner. Worked perfect. My family are religious but I would hate a church service so register office or away somewhere would be ideal.

Plus I REALLY cannot see my family and the other halfs family getting along! there is friction already. lol But knowing my parents they would be gutted if they werent there.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 23 Apr, 2008 2:42 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2369/2435783253_54426c47b7_m.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2241/2435783211_7c5760f60c_m.jpg

thats pretty rad

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Wed 23 Apr, 2008 3:46 PM Quote
moominbadger wrote:
Hello!!

Boardies - I need you to tell me about weddings!! Those of you who are married - how did you get married? Did you have a traditional church wedding or creep away and get married somewhere exotic or something totally wacky?
Those of you who aren't married, how would you choose to married?!!

Please tell me!!!

Thinking again about it, I think one should do what make them dream, or at least attempt to.

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Wed 23 Apr, 2008 3:49 PM Quote
Hey Kayte!

Yeah, we're engaged :) Got engaged about 3 yrs ago, have been together for 8 yrs in total. We have tried to plan a wedding several times now but keep coming up against a brick wall....everything starts getting too big and fancy but all we want is a small intimate kind of occasion...I just don't want to offend anyone!

Your wedding sounds really cool, and that cake was amazing!

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Wed 23 Apr, 2008 3:58 PM Quote
moominbadger wrote:
Hey Kayte!

Yeah, we're engaged :) Got engaged about 3 yrs ago, have been together for 8 yrs in total. We have tried to plan a wedding several times now but keep coming up against a brick wall....everything starts getting too big and fancy but all we want is a small intimate kind of occasion...I just don't want to offend anyone!

Tricky, I know how it feels.
How about you have your intimate wedding/ceremony on Day one or in the morning + lunch with close guests and then in the evening a party with everybody for either dinner or just drinks. Two of my friends did that, one wedding was fancy with intimate ceremony and party on friday then big dinner party on saturday night and the other one very simple : ceremony + lunch saturday morning then all meet for drinks and party in a private room in a pub on saturday night.

Edit : and for the church or no church, do you believe in god? I don't mean in the church, but really "just" in god? If you have any kind of faith then it is only right to get married in a religious place like a church. That's what we did as I do believe in god but I don't feel more christian than anything else.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 23 Apr, 2008 4:00 PM Quote
We had a big (175-200 guests) fairly traditional wedding. We got married outside around sunset on 4th of July (ten years this summer- woo-hoo!). The reception was at the same place as the ceremony so we just walked down the aisle and started the reception.

Neither my mom nor his mom took over so while it was big and all of that, it felt still very "us." I had a simple but gorgeous white dress and had flowers in my hair, some on the top sort of making a crown and some in the back. It's hard to describe so I'll just have to post a pic later. The bridesmaids had dresses that were the same style but different colors (a friend made them). So it was very colorful.

We had appetizers, wine, beer, and just danced and had a great time.

Also we took ballroom dance lessons for months and our first dance was choreographed by our teacher. It was a waltz but we did neat little steps, he dipped me, the whole thing.

People STILL tell me what fun they had at my wedding. It surprises me but it makes me happy. I think it is the fact that we made it totally our own, even if it wasn't some wild idea or exotic location.

I have friends who went to Big Bend National Park "on a camping trip" but were actually secretly eloping because the wedding their parents were planning was such a stressful nightmare!! I thought that was wildly romantic and also a way to clearly state to their parents that they aren't just props to fulfill their parents' fantasies.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 23 Apr, 2008 4:03 PM Quote
moominbadger wrote:
Hey Kayte!

We invited only close family and friends. I think it a total of about 60 people, plus a few people who invited themselves.

If it's been that long for you, people will be overjoyed regardless what you do, but you should include your parents at the very least. Very simple ceremony, then maybe a bigger party after and invite all the friends and odd relatives. My step-sister had an extremely small wedding, but then had a backyard barbecue bash after at her aunt's house. It was very informal and fun.

Just pick a day and do it!

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 23 Apr, 2008 4:11 PM Quote
This thread's great! I loooove weddings- I'm such a girl. We need more pics, married people!

I guess I'm in a minority, but I'd like to have a big, white, traditional wedding. Outside. Yours seems to be perfect, Anne!

Oh and Kayte, I have never heard of anyone having a "theme" wedding before, but I think it's really cool!

Ursina
Ursina Posted Wed 23 Apr, 2008 4:19 PM Quote
considering the cost of these events, hubby being the typical canny Scot decided the money could be better spend on a deposit for our first home and that's what we did :)

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Wed 23 Apr, 2008 4:21 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
This thread's great! I loooove weddings- I'm such a girl. We need more pics, married people!

I guess I'm in a minority, but I'd like to have a big, white, traditional wedding. Outside. Yours seems to be perfect, Anne!

Oh and Kayte, I have never heard of anyone having a "theme" wedding before, but I think it's really cool!

alrighty!!

[img]http://www.easy-upload.net/vignettes.php?v=2008423171549[/img]

[img]http://www.easy-upload.net/vignettes.php?v=2008423173513[/img]

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 23 Apr, 2008 4:24 PM Quote
moominbadger wrote:
everything starts getting too big and fancy but all we want is a small intimate kind of occasion...I just don't want to offend anyone!

I am not sure if you meant offend anyone on the board or in real life but either way this is YOUR deal and anyone who is offended has their own issue. Your wedding should be exactly how you want it.

Sorry Angel, LOVE the pink dress. Sexy! It looks so awesome.

Once some friends went to an engagement party. Only the couple tricked everyone. About an hour into it they disappeared for a few minutes and came out in a tux and wedding dress and they got married right then and there.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 23 Apr, 2008 4:25 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:
considering the cost of these events, hubby being the typical canny Scot decided the money could be better spend on a deposit for our first home and that's what we did :)

But on the other hand, the more people you invite, the more presents/CASH (hope!) you are likely to receive. You just have to make sure that the cost per person is less than the typical wedding gift and you will "profit." But that's not a very romantic way of looking at it. ;o)

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 23 Apr, 2008 4:28 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

Sorry Angel, LOVE the pink dress. Sexy! It looks so awesome.

My thoughts exactly!

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:45 PM