Travis

Re: Laptops: To Mac or not to Mac?
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 20 Apr, 2008 11:58 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
My sweeping generalisation of the day.

Mac owners = smug bastards with an artificially inflated sense of superiority.

You gotta admit he does have a point, there is an air of elitism amongst Mac owners...

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 20 Apr, 2008 11:59 PM Quote
If you do a lot of word processing, a PC is probably better. Word for Mac is much more expensive and somehow isn't the same. If you do a lot of graphic stuff, or music, or anything artsy, or if it is just for internet purposes, Mac is the way to go.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Mon 21 Apr, 2008 12:26 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Esteban wrote:

You gotta admit he does have a point, there is an air of elitism amongst Mac owners...

Dubz

he does...and I agree...I'm one of 'em. :) I am a graphic designer and have tried both sides...Mac won.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Mon 21 Apr, 2008 1:02 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Esteban wrote:

Dubz

Yeah probably so. But it's kinda the same with any situation that involves what is popular/mainstream versus the alternative. A lot of people who consider themselves to like 'alternative' music tend to stick their nose up at 'popular' music for example. But it all comes down to personal taste at the end of the day - there's no set-in-stone answer for what's better or worse with these things... it all just boils down to a load of pretentiousness.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 21 Apr, 2008 1:20 AM Quote
No doubt there's other parallels, just wanted to air my views on the subject. 2 of my colleagues are Mac owners, and I never let up at them either.

In summary, own a Mac by all means, but don't become a Mac owner.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 21 Apr, 2008 2:26 AM Quote
Esteban wrote:
In summary, own a Mac by all means, but don't become a Mac owner.

Exactly.

We have an iMac and my husband has a Macbook Pro. They are both awesome. His is great and can go back and forth from a windows to mac platform. He needs to be able to do that because the drafting software he uses (AutoCad and Revit) are Windows only. But he prefers Macs so he was willing to shell out the extra dough. The joys of being your own boss!

I also have an iPhone so we are just a walking Apple ad.

wendongotta
wendongotta Posted Mon 21 Apr, 2008 2:45 PM Quote
i just figure if it works, i'll take it!

mili
mili Posted Mon 21 Apr, 2008 2:49 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Esteban wrote:

Dubz

he does...and I agree...I'm one of 'em. :) I am a graphic designer and have tried both sides...Mac won.

Hello colleague! I'm in the same boat. Occationally I have to spend some time in a pc environment, and it really bugs me every time. Been using mac for over 15 years.

elfy
elfy Posted Mon 21 Apr, 2008 6:28 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j51/elfy32the2nd/dodgeball1.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j51/elfy32the2nd/grin.gif

mili
mili Posted Mon 21 Apr, 2008 6:42 PM Quote
elfy wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j51/elfy32the2nd/dodgeball1.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j51/elfy32the2nd/grin.gif

Ouch. If I'd seen that before buying my first mac I might have thought twice ;^)

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 21 Apr, 2008 7:22 PM Quote
An air of elitism cant be helped if we are, in fact, simply better.

bara
bara Posted Mon 21 Apr, 2008 7:26 PM Quote
mac has less viruses (right word?) i think. but that will come.. im sure...
and .. well you can use firefox. thats good, too.

macvs are used by many ppl whore working on graphic programs or film- or sound cutting.. i guess its because of that virus thing.. but well..w ho knows...

macs are much more expensive, arent they?

.. but they look better..

MemphisQueen
MemphisQueen Posted Sat 26 Apr, 2008 3:23 AM Quote
i was forced to use my first mac about 15 years ago....and i've never looked back. i had the old crappy box that only allowed text, then the old laptop that weighed as much as pc's do now that had the full color apple, then upgraded to the ibook, powerbook, and so on and so forth.

love them. always have - always will. my five year old powerbook, almost out of memory still runs faster and better than my work pc that has nothing but the basics installed (we use an online database since iw ork from home).

hate pcs. love mac.

but as has already been said, if you're only using word, excel, etc - keep to a pc. the Ms office for mac is slightly different and less user friendly if you're already used to the pc version. but if you want to use the super user friendly mac software, prepare to fall in love...

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sat 26 Apr, 2008 10:57 AM Quote
Have used Macs and PC. Had to use Mac at uni for all our ANOVA statistics and fun stuff like that. They were brill but it was confusing jumping from one to another. If I have the money I would want a mac but I am happy with my pc.

eilsy
eilsy Posted Sat 26 Apr, 2008 1:10 PM Quote
Hmm.. I used to use macs in office and pcs at home, but now i have mac at my personal use and i would definitely say that mac is far better in the sense of user friendliness, organization and crash and virus thus problem-free net surfing.
I am an architect, and use Archicad, whose natural base is mac and Photoshop all with a decent performance.
I havent been able to play sims on mac with the premium performance though.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:57 AM