Travis

Ode To J. Smith vs The Man Who
GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Fri 18 Apr, 2008 10:36 AM Quote
The vibe around Ode to J Smith, kinda makes me feel that it could end up in most peoples top 3 Travis Albums.
I definately think its destined for big things.

I know its early days and its a big ask. But do you think that Ode To J Smith could eventually topple The Man Who, as most peoples favourite Travis Album? ?

Re: Ode To J. Smith vs The Man Who
spid
spid Posted Fri 18 Apr, 2008 10:41 AM Quote
Christ man! Wait to ask this question until after the poor unfortunates (like me) who haven't heard any of the stuff yet, actually get the album! I wanted to go to the shows but couldn't - don't rub my face in it - perlese!

Ursina
Ursina Posted Fri 18 Apr, 2008 10:59 AM Quote
that's not fair at all! for all us poor buggers who didn't have a chance to got to the gigs it's highly frustrating. Anyway there is also a difference between live songs and recorded ones and thirdly I hate comparisons with other albums!

there... that's you in the dog house ! lol

GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Fri 18 Apr, 2008 11:18 AM Quote
spid wrote:
Christ man! Wait to ask this question until after the poor unfortunates (like me) who haven't heard any of the stuff yet, actually get the album! I wanted to go to the shows but couldn't - don't rub my face in it - perlese!

Aaah no, I didn't want to do that :-(
It just feels to me that The Man Who, has been the most popular Travis Album to date, and its kinda exciting to think that Travis may have again produced an album that could silence the recent musical press critics (NME!), and receive Rave revievs.
I am just excited by the potential of Ode To J. Smith. :-)
By the way. Some of the new album can be found on Youtube, If you want a taster.
I found the clips from warbie at bristol (type travis warbie) to be quite good.

GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Fri 18 Apr, 2008 11:23 AM Quote
Ursina wrote:
that's not fair at all! for all us poor buggers who didn't have a chance to got to the gigs it's highly frustrating. Anyway there is also a difference between live songs and recorded ones and thirdly I hate comparisons with other albums!

there... that's you in the dog house ! lol

Good points.
I consider myself firmly in the Doghouse!
lol

paul_c
paul_c Posted Fri 18 Apr, 2008 12:03 PM Quote
GMS1968 wrote:
The vibe around Ode to J Smith, kinda makes me feel that it could end up in most peoples top 3 Travis Albums.

I know its early days and its a big ask. But do you think that Ode To J Smith could eventually topple The Man Who, as most peoples favourite Travis Album? ?

The Man Who has never been my favourite Travis album. In fact, it's probably now 5th behind Good Feeling, 12 Memories, TBWNN and The Invisible Band

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 18 Apr, 2008 12:09 PM Quote
The stuff on youtube is mostly rubbish so I wouldn't really recommend that.

If you actually look for reviews, you'll see that Travis got plenty of positive reviews. Couple of 5 stars, a few 4 stars. Lots of 3 stars. Which isn't too bad.

To your main point, obviously I've only heard my live audio which isn't the studio songs. Yes, they will be different but not very different at all. The reason the band did what they did was to have the songs ready to record when they went in the studio, so they'll be pretty much the same. But I can't really judge until we have the album. Potentially yes, the songs are good enough for it to be the best album but maybe we won't be happy with the recordings and all think the songs have been ruined. I doubt that will happen but we can't be sure until we have the album. :)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 18 Apr, 2008 11:53 PM Quote
It'll take something big to topple The Man Who off my chart, but I'm sure Ode To J. Smith has every chance. I'm excited about it for sure, but I can't ultimately make any judgements about it until its sat in my CD player come release day. I've not heard any songs whatsoever from the album, and that's the way I want it. It's a bit like being told the spoilers before you read a book or watch a film - it ruins the experience. And, apart from the single(s) that precede it, the same applies with this album.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:02 AM Quote
I agree that waiting for the album is best generally. I did that with The Boy, and I've decided I'll do it with album 7 but I don't regret listening to them this time at all. Its a different experience which I thought would be interesting. Hearing the songs, getting to know them (although I stopped a week ago and am now awaiting the album) and being able to understand what Dougie and Fran say in their blogs. Like when Fran described Andys solo like a 'roosters wake up call' I heard it in my head and he's absolutely right. Its been an interesting and different experience. Like I said, next time I think I'll leave it for the album. Like the band, I'm experimenting. Haha. :)

lost-angel
lost-angel Posted Sat 19 Apr, 2008 7:20 AM Quote
GMS1968 wrote:

It definitely has the potential to be in my top 3 Travis album.

While recording this album they were unlabeled so I think it encouraged them go an extra mile in terms of tapping in their creativity. With less restrictions in their hands I’m positive that it has the possibility to be a critics’ darling too. ( Plus, fran pushed his vocal boundaries on this album.)

However I’m excited most of all on how the next album sounds as a whole considering the fact that it was recorded through the use of "old technology". I’m not particularly certain how the old technology sounds but if it as clean and as raw as “lovely Rita” then I’m in for a delight.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 5:02 PM