Travis

Re: I shot a gun
bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Mon 14 Apr, 2008 4:50 AM Quote
I do understand you. I don't find very attractive either to go with a gun and shoot to something or someone, but I guess this is something cultural as you said it before. Anyway, I won't get mad at anyone who likes guns just because I don't like them. Maybe is just that to me guns seem a little too aggressive...

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Mon 14 Apr, 2008 6:12 AM Quote
Soulslug wrote:
aws sounds like a great adventurous day!

guns make me cringe me though.

same here! Two of my friends asked me if I wanted to come along and learn. I was very undecided for many hours, but decided to go because when else would someone teach me how to fire a gun? It was definitely scary in the range! I was so paranoid of the other people in there. Because what if some horrible accident happened, yknow? But I couldn't leave without at least trying it. I'm down to try that sort of thing at least once, yknow? :)

SamuraiSandy wrote:
oooh! fun!
what kind of gun did you shoot? my first time, i shot a glock-9mm. it was a bit scary...being so loud and all. but, i got used to it after a bit, and i have to say, it's somewhat empowering.
don't think i could ever own one, but the gun range is always fun.

And yes Sandy, it IS empowering!

Lemon Grinner wrote:
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
Am I the only one who finds this creepy?
I see no fun in learning how to shoot another human being. But that's just me. Maybe it's a cultural thing I don't understand *shrugs*.

Yeah I'm not a fan of shooting, myself. Yet things like archery I don't seem to have a problem with. I think it's just guns and gun culture. Scares me.

But I would NEVER shoot any living animal/being, or use a gun in the outdoors with my level of inexperience.

LemonGrinner, I've also tried archery! It's so freaking awesome!!

Heh, I totally understand how some people can get creeped out by guns in general. They are a bit disturbing : The NRA President is a nutcase, etc etc. It's a mix bag of feelings, I guess :)

Ursina
Ursina Posted Mon 14 Apr, 2008 8:46 AM Quote
I see no fun in learning how to shoot another human being. But that's just me. Maybe it's a cultural thing I don't understand *shrugs*.

no, I'm with you. Reading that post made me shiver. Thought I was on the wrong website. scary

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 14 Apr, 2008 2:09 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:

no, I'm with you. Reading that post made me shiver. Thought I was on the wrong website. scary

So presumably you're uncomfortable with the lyrics from Last Train then?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 14 Apr, 2008 2:32 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:

The KLF ??

Dubz

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 14 Apr, 2008 2:54 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Esteban wrote:

The KLF ??

Dubz

All aboard, all aboard whoa.

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Mon 14 Apr, 2008 3:14 PM Quote
BTW, when i said "trained man killa", I was playing with words!! Man killa also means a person who is a heartbreaker or a tease. Or is that man eater.. oops.

But egad, I didn't mean to disturb the more sensitive people. Really sorry about that, but there is a dark and a light (and all that stuff in between) to everything in this world, and I don't think a trip to the gun range means that I'm on any level inhumane or lewd. I don't know how relevant this is, but heck, I might probably do more volunteer and environmental work than some people who comment on how scary it is! And I advocate gun control and banning arming piercing bullets!

I think what some of you are referring to when you say "gun culture" is specifically the American gun culture. Now, some other people might be sensitive to THAT phrase, too. But I guess it makes sense because if you take a look at the immense power of the NRA, Michael Moore's "Bowling for Columbine", the statistics of deaths caused by guns, and the slew of other gun-related mass killings at schools/elsewhere, it IS a scary picture.

But my experience was not a cultural rite of passage or anything. It was simply human curiosity.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Mon 14 Apr, 2008 3:47 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
Ursina wrote:

nope these are lyrics of a song but to actually go and shoot at a human shape cut out I find quite disturbing considering all the gun crime espcially in the US ..... anniversary of Virginia Tech tech.

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Mon 14 Apr, 2008 3:50 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:
Esteban wrote:
Ursina wrote:

nope these are lyrics of a song but to actually go and shoot at a human shape cut out I find quite disturbing considering all the gun crime espcially in the US ..... anniversary of Virginia Tech tech.

I'm not sure how much better this makes it, but it wasn't a full length human body. It was a piece of paper with and outline of the human chest and head.

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Mon 14 Apr, 2008 3:53 PM Quote
Everyone has his or her own personal qualms, but I just want to say, "CHILL OUT!" I think they gave me the paper with the upper body outline on it because it was a larger sheet than the one with a bull's eye target (a bunch of circular rings)

That's the last thing I'll say about this hopefully.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Mon 14 Apr, 2008 3:56 PM Quote
alyrtle wrote:
Ursina wrote:
Esteban wrote:
Ursina wrote:

I'm not sure how much better this makes it, but it wasn't a full length human body. It was a piece of paper with and outline of the human chest and head.

haahahahahaha no it makes it worse lol och never mind, we seem to have different ideas about this so lets agree to disagree right ? :)

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Mon 14 Apr, 2008 4:05 PM Quote
Agreed.

Although I will say, if I were raised in any other country aside from the U.S., I still probably would take one trip to the gun range once in my life--and then what would your argument be? That it, too, was culturally influenced? For me, I can safely say it was human curiosity plus a little bit of carpe diem. Although you probably don't understand how carpe diem is related to learning how to shoot a gun.

ALSO, learning how to shoot a gun is NOT limited exclusively to learning how to shoot a human. It can be used for hunting animals or the simple enjoyment of knowing you have good aim (shooting candle sticks/cups)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 15 Apr, 2008 1:02 AM Quote
Like I said, it'd be very silly to think that every person that has ever learned how to shoot is going to kill people. So please don't take it personally.
About wanting to try it if you had been raised in a different culture, I guess there's no way of knowing that :oP.
But it's just different points of view, no biggy.

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 5:31 AM