Travis

Dougie.. the sound of the album..
Dex
Dex Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 3:30 PM Quote
If you are reading this i would like to know that due to the album being recorded so quickly, is this noticeable on the final result? ie will it sound rushed or as good a quality recording as say 'The Man Who'? Were there as much overdubs as usual etc on it? You've probably noted that Radiohead spent the best part of 3 years recording their latest album and although it's good, it's not brilliant as would have been expected. whereas bands like yourselves might record a masterpiece in two weeks.. One other question, Who pays for all the band's studio-time now that you aren't with any label?
myspace.com/heydaymusic ...check out my band:)

Re: Dougie.. the sound of the album..
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 3:54 PM Quote
Read the studio diaries in the band section and you'll get an idea. I doubt Dougie will reply as his child has just been born and we've not even heard about that yet but Fran might reply. The continual flood of information has stopped recently. I hope the mixing is going well... Fran?

choke the chicken
choke the chicken Posted Wed 02 Apr, 2008 2:30 PM Quote
The version of "House of the Rising Sun" that we all know was recorded in just 2 takes.

If the actual song really is a hit, people will like it regardless of recording

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 04 Apr, 2008 3:25 PM Quote
Dex wrote:
If you are reading this i would like to know that due to the album being recorded so quickly, is this noticeable on the final result? ie will it sound rushed or as good a quality recording as say 'The Man Who'? Were there as much overdubs as usual etc on it? You've probably noted that Radiohead spent the best part of 3 years recording their latest album and although it's good, it's not brilliant as would have been expected. whereas bands like yourselves might record a masterpiece in two weeks.. One other question, Who pays for all the band's studio-time now that you aren't with any label?
myspace.com/heydaymusic ...check out my band:)

Sometimes doing loads of overdubs can make it sound mechanical because it's not a whole flowing recording, it's a big patchwork of technically-good but almost robotic music. "Less refined, more ballsy, rough, but still super hi-fi" in Fran's own words. :) Or in Dougie's:

"The joy of this kind of recording is that it's all about capturing a band performance rather than sitting round a computer shuffling little chunks of music around. Also it limits the number of overdubs we can do as we only have 16 tracks to play with, and means we can't really drop in to fix any mistakes. So have to get a great take from everyone. It's all very exciting."

And the paying-for-the-recording-studio thing? That would explain why they limited themselves to 2 weeks! ;)

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 4:38 AM