Travis

Random question...
Emmy
Emmy Posted Fri 28 Mar, 2008 10:17 PM Quote
This is pretty much off the record in terms of being related to the Travis and their great music - or any music for that matter.

But earlier this week I was working on a team project at work and one of the people I worked with was a guy I had just met that day. At one point in the day, just the two of us went out to a site. We were talking business most of the time, with occassional small talk thrown in, which lead him to say, "You know I wore this tie for you, but I'm tempted to take it off," which I thought was out of the blue and a litle bit awkward. I changed the subject after that.

My question: was this guy just trying to fill that small silence by saying something like that or did he mean something more?

I think it was just one of those things people tend to say just to say smoething. But, maybe I have my head too far up my ass to recongise the difference between small talk and sweet talk. According to friends and co-workers, I have the tendency to possess the latter characteristic.

What do you think?

Re: Random question...
Pochakita
Pochakita Posted Sat 29 Mar, 2008 1:04 AM Quote
Well, that sounds very much like flirting to me. unless of course that is his usual self and he was just joking.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Sat 29 Mar, 2008 1:12 AM Quote
hmm...that doesn't sound like small talk to me!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 29 Mar, 2008 2:14 AM Quote
Sounds like awkward flirting to me. Don't understand whether he wanted to take the tie off because it wasn't having the desired effect (you swooning?) or because he wanted to do a strip tease for you.

Guys?

Esteban
Esteban Posted Sat 29 Mar, 2008 2:22 AM Quote
Not a clue. I'm quite a direct person, so wouldn't know how this sort of thing works.

Emmy
Emmy Posted Sat 29 Mar, 2008 2:59 AM Quote
The thing is I don't know if that was his usual self, having only met him that day. He also said other things which were again awkward and I didn't know where he was going with...stuff like "thanks for be so gracious". I think I'm probably reading too much into that part, he was probably just being polite...but still....i can't help but wonder, as petty and stupid as it may seem!

I think I failed to mention that this guy is at least 12-15 years older than me.

Why can't I find guys in the 25-32 age range come up and say things like this to me. I'd be glad to take off their ties!

Thanks for responding, and if you have any more insight or thoughts on this, let them out. I'm pretty confused right now!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 29 Mar, 2008 3:05 AM Quote
It all sounds a bit strange. But are you interested? Because if you aren't it doesn't really matter what his intent was.

Maybe just see what happens next time you see him and how he interacts with other female co-workers.

I will say those are some pretty lame flirting skills for a 40ish year old man. I would hope a man of that age would be more direct.

Moray
Moray Posted Sat 29 Mar, 2008 3:12 AM Quote
Esteban wrote:
Not a clue. I'm quite a direct person, so wouldn't know how this sort of thing works.

i don't wear a tie, so i'm equally perplexed. Doesn't sound very sauve anyway.

Emmy
Emmy Posted Sat 29 Mar, 2008 3:26 AM Quote
MoraySwan wrote:
Esteban wrote:

i don't wear a tie, so i'm equally perplexed. Doesn't sound very sauve anyway.

I guess I'm more interested in knowing what his intent was, rather than me being romantically interested, although he was good looking, but still, I want a guy around my age.

I guess why I seemed pretty obsessed with this is because I just had the realization that maybe I am pretty oblivious when it comes to sweet talk and small talk, and so when by chance a guy in their mid 20s or early 30s comes up and say somethng flirty, I will know that's it for real or just babble. Obviously I would hopefully know the difference if and when it happens among men my age....it's the older men that have thrown me for a loop! Why can't I get men my age to say that kind of stuff??

Emmy
Emmy Posted Sat 29 Mar, 2008 8:09 PM Quote
Sorry to keep pounding on about this post...but I'm seriously confused as to what to think. Friends and co-workers have said what they think, and guess it would be nice to have opinons from strangers. Does that make sense?

So...guys, girls, whoever: can you lend me your advice?

Thanks!

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 12:58 PM