Travis

Film Thread...
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 4:05 PM Quote

I would like to know what everyone else thought of 2001: A Space Oddessy ?

Is it a Kubrick Masterpiece?
Boring ?
Art for art's sake ?
Beautiful imagary ?
Self Indulgent ?
A cinamatic breakthrough ?
or a pile of sh!t ?

Dubz

Re: Film Thread...
Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 4:06 PM Quote
Not seen it, the name sounds too boring lol.

What do you think??

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 4:09 PM Quote
I've just read that it was made in '68 so I reckon some of the special effects must have been dazzling.

The acting is terribly wooden, even Rigsby can't save it.

Dubz

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 4:14 PM Quote
Cinematic art , is what i have always thought. Ive seen it in an IMAX theatre and it was spectacular.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 4:20 PM Quote
I saw it in high school and found it really annoying. I'd like to watch it again though. I think I might feel differently. Maybe not adore it but at least appreciate it.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 4:26 PM Quote

I can appreciate it, but reckon Gladders might be on to something, I've just watched it on DVD and it sorta did nothing for me, However it may be different viewing with the whole massive picture and surround sound thingy.

Dubz

ParkAvePirate
ParkAvePirate Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 4:28 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
I saw it in high school and found it really annoying. I'd like to watch it again though. I think I might feel differently. Maybe not adore it but at least appreciate it.

I agree. I felt the same way about Soylent Green when I was in high school but now I think it is an awesome movie (maybe not the same brilliance behind 2001: Space Odyssey.)

Moray
Moray Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 4:54 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:

Same for me. I really didn't last through it.

However, I think Kubrick is totally over-rated as a director. For example, "Full Metal Jacket" for all it is lauded, is only entertaining for the first 45 minutes, and thats purely for the performance of the Gunnery Sergeant. As Vietnam and War films go, I can think of many more that make more of a point and have a greater emotional and visual impact. Similarly, "Dr. Strangelove" is saved by Peter Sellers, and "The Shining" by Jack Nicholson. And "A ClockWork Orange" by Malcolm MacDowell. Or "Spartactus" Kirk Douglas. And so on.

I find Kubricks films to be cold, detached and pretty obtuse to be honest. He doesn't appear to have much of an identifiable visual or directorial style. His films seem muddled and unintelligible. And I just plain don't enjoy them.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 19 Mar, 2008 7:37 AM Quote
I've just woken up to the news that co-writer, Arthur C Clarke has snuffed it aged 90.

Dubz

btw watching Apocalpyse Now, so stay tuned for moe discussion, reviews.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Wed 19 Mar, 2008 10:53 AM Quote
Yeah, I was just about to comment about how weird that was. We were just talking about him and him passed away this morning. Sad.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 19 Mar, 2008 1:34 PM Quote
i fuckin LOVE 2001 , one of my top 5 movies . Full Metal jacket, nothing like watching it with Nam vets who critise the price for the hooker .

that was one mellow drill sergent in my view

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 5:21 PM