Travis

Damaged eardrums
Hanne
Hanne Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 8:13 AM Quote
I think my eardrums have been permanently damaged by a bagpipe.

On Saturday, I attended a 50th birthday party. The birthday 'boy' loves Irish and Scottish folk music, so his wife had hired a bagpipe player as a surprise. For half an hour or so he played marches and reels while telling jokes in between. Unfortunately, he chose to stand right next to where I sat. Bloody hell, that thing is loud!

Btw, was quite funny to hear Danish with a Scottish accent.

Re: Damaged eardrums
Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 8:35 AM Quote
Oh my days, Danish with a Scottish accent, I know someone in Denmark who's from Edinburgh. He's buff stuff.

Sorry to hear about your ears, it seems to be the season for it!

Hanne
Hanne Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 8:53 AM Quote
Do you know where he lives? Cos last week on the train, I heard another man speaking Danish with a scottish accent. I didn't speak to him, I just heard him saying that he was from Edinburgh...

Ursina
Ursina Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 8:59 AM Quote
oh deary me ! I'd love to hear this guy lol

my ears have been damaged a long time ago. that's from sitting too near the speakers in my rock chick days :-D

so it was a good party ? :)

Hanne
Hanne Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 9:06 AM Quote
Ursina wrote:

my ears have been damaged a long time ago. that's from sitting too near the speakers in my rock chick days :-D

Yes, it was quite good. I didn't know that many people there. My friend who lives in Ankara is home for Easter, and it was her uncle's birthday. I was just her 'date'.

On Saturday, my uncle's death was in the papers as a press release. It's not like he was shot or anything, but the fact that he was in Afghanistan must have been enough reason to print it. The funeral is Saturday this week.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 9:30 AM Quote

Any time I've been to anything with a piper, Funerals/Weddings, he's usually outside. so the music flows in softly through open doors windows.

I reckon the only time you should be right next to them is on a battlefield.

Dubz

Hanne
Hanne Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 9:39 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Any time I've been to anything with a piper, Funerals/Weddings, he's usually outside. so the music flows in softly through open doors windows.

Dubz

Someone once told me that a bagpipe is officially a weapon of war. I think he was pulling my leg, but I admit that the sound could scare anyone lol

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 9:44 AM Quote
Hanne wrote:

Someone once told me that a bagpipe is officially a weapon of war. I think he was pulling my leg, but I admit that the sound could scare anyone lol

It's not quite a weapon but it was used on the field of battle for two reasons, 1. To stir and enflame the passions of the soldiers. 2. To scare the enemy. It works much the same way as drums or bugles. I believe the yanks had full marching bands playing them into battle during the civil war.

Dubz

Dubz

Ursina
Ursina Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 9:46 AM Quote
Hanne wrote:
Ursina wrote:

Yes, it was quite good. I didn't know that many people there. My friend who lives in Ankara is home for Easter, and it was her uncle's birthday. I was just her 'date'.

On Saturday, my uncle's death was in the papers as a press release. It's not like he was shot or anything, but the fact that he was in Afghanistan must have been enough reason to print it. The funeral is Saturday this week.

I meant to ask you before... why would your uncle go running in Afghanistan ??

Hanne
Hanne Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:05 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

It's not quite a weapon but it was used on the field of battle for two reasons, 1. To stir and enflame the passions of the soldiers. 2. To scare the enemy. It works much the same way as drums or bugles. I believe the yanks had full marching bands playing them into battle during the civil war.

Dubz

I've heard about drums, but they're not weapons as such.

In any case, I understand why the enemy would be scared.

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:06 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

I remember one New Year's eve in Helsinki at the flat of a Scottish guy whose friend, also at the party, used to play pipes in the center of Helsinki. The piper was wearing kilt and all, and at midnight we went outside to see the fireworks. He started to play in the corridor, and the noise was amazing. He got a lot of attention, and some people even stuffed notes in his clothes...

Hanne
Hanne Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:08 AM Quote
Ursina wrote:

He was a senior sergeant with the Air Force, and employed by NATO. He's been in Afghanistan before, and he's also been to Kosovo and Crotia back in the days. In Croatia, his task was to get weapons from civilians around the time the war ended in that part of ex-Yugoslavia. Basically, they went from door to door. The thing is, they had to be really friendly to convince people to give up their weapons. This included never saying no to their home-made Slivowich or whatever that plum brandy is called. After that, he hated it with a passion lol

Hanne
Hanne Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:09 AM Quote
mili wrote:

I remember one New Year's eve in Helsinki at the flat of a Scottish guy whose friend, also at the party, used to play pipes in the center of Helsinki. The piper was wearing kilt and all, and at midnight we went outside to see the fireworks. He started to play in the corridor, and the noise was amazing. He got a lot of attention, and some people even stuffed notes in his clothes...

With a noise like that, attention is guaranteed :o)

Ursina
Ursina Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:26 AM Quote
Hanne wrote:
Ursina wrote:

He was a senior sergeant with the Air Force, and employed by NATO. He's been in Afghanistan before, and he's also been to Kosovo and Crotia back in the days. In Croatia, his task was to get weapons from civilians around the time the war ended in that part of ex-Yugoslavia. Basically, they went from door to door. The thing is, they had to be really friendly to convince people to give up their weapons. This included never saying no to their home-made Slivowich or whatever that plum brandy is called. After that, he hated it with a passion lol

ahh I see :) it's reallysad that it was not war action but something to keep him fit that caused his death :(

Ruudio
Ruudio Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:32 AM Quote
I had bagpipes in my ears for 3 days after Dropkick Murphys! They are definitely the most deafening instrument!

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:03 PM