Travis

Re: favourtie travis song?
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 5:47 PM Quote
MoraySwan wrote:
Dubz, your entire review there is fundamentaly flawed as it centre's around the various types of people there who either listen to the music or create the music. None of it centre's on the music itself. Did the melody grab you by the nuts? Is there a guitar hook that made the hairs stand on end? Is there a lyric there that meant something to you?

Who gives a shit if some 40 year old times reader appreciates it? It's still ok for you to like it. At the risk of sounding like the Swedish chef from the Muppets. "Good musics is Good musics".

I wholeheartdly agree with you good music is good music, however, there hasn't been a single hook that has grabbed me by the bollix like All I Wanna Do Is Rock did, that's was my original point. It has an energy a rawness a feeling to it that nothing since has.

And the point I was making about 40 year olds is, yeah like it because you like it not because it's album of the week in the Times. How big do you think Sigur Ros would be if it wasn't for the same journalists writing stuff about them (btw no bad thing in my opinion, but why not The Cocteau Twins or Field Mice or Swervedriver or Ride or My Bloody Valentine), they pick one thing out because it's safe.

My point make your own mind up, Like it for what you like not the media or your peers or whatever.

I think Travis have played on the teeny-bop, Cuteness of Fran/Dougie or whatever, and it annoys me as I think they could have been a much better band hadn't they went that route.

Dubz

deebee
deebee Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 7:14 PM Quote
Faves have always included More Than Us but at the moment I'm having a banjo phase and love the start of Sing.

Moray
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 7:27 PM Quote
What are Travis trying to achieve? because thats something thats increasingly losing me.

Re: Moray
Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 7:38 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
What are Travis trying to achieve? because thats something thats increasingly losing me.

Summink to do with making music they believe in and stuff... singing about babies and love etc :P

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 7:41 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:

Summink to do with making music they believe in and stuff... singing about babies and love etc :P

I see , i was beginning to think they were waiting in the middle of the road waiting to be run over.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 7:52 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:

I see , i was beginning to think they were waiting in the middle of the road waiting to be run over.

Hahaha :P Well apparently the new stuff sounds a lot edgier... but who knows what that means.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 7:54 PM Quote
it does ISH

varz
varz Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 8:03 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:

Hahaha :P Well apparently the new stuff sounds a lot edgier... but who knows what that means.

apparently... always a good word to use.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 11:30 PM Quote
What are Travis trying to achieve?
They're making music that a lot of people on this massageboard, and all over the world for that matter, care about and appreciate. Their music is powerful and emotional and I'm sorry that it doesn't have that same effect on you. Hopefully you'll like the new album.

And Dubz,
I don't think that Travis have played on their "cuteness" to get by...they're a success because they make amazing music. I applaud them for being a "nice" band and caring about their fans. There is nothing wrong with that. You can say what you want about not liking the more mellow rock route they chose, but give me a break, don't diss them like that. They're SO incredibly talented and that has NOTHING to do with the way they look or act.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 7:45 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
And Dubz,
I don't think that Travis have played on their "cuteness" to get by...they're a success because they make amazing music. I applaud them for being a "nice" band and caring about their fans. There is nothing wrong with that. You can say what you want about not liking the more mellow rock route they chose, but give me a break, don't diss them like that. They're SO incredibly talented and that has NOTHING to do with the way they look or act.

I'm not "dissing" them for it, hey, it pays the bills, If I could have an army of screaming teenagers I would, (yes I am that shallow) as I said I'm just disappointed they went that road. They have an army of teenybopper fans who scream "we love Dougie/Fran", do they discourage this, No, therefore they are quite happy to play on the fact that they appeal to these people who think they are being retroactive by liking Trais instaed of Boyzone but then apply exactly the same values to the band.

Dubz

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 3:25 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I'm not "dissing" them for it, hey, it pays the bills, If I could have an army of screaming teenagers I would, (yes I am that shallow) as I said I'm just disappointed they went that road. They have an army of teenybopper fans who scream "we love Dougie/Fran", do they discourage this, No, therefore they are quite happy to play on the fact that they appeal to these people who think they are being retroactive by liking Trais instaed of Boyzone but then apply exactly the same values to the band.

Dubz

Sure there are teenagers who like them but there are also plenty of adults that like them too. I enjoy going to their concerts and seeing such a wide array of ages.

They don't discourage screaming teenage fans but really how are they supposed to do that? And I don't think they encourage it either.

drift-nina
drift-nina Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 3:33 PM Quote

Driftwood

and my other favs are Slideshow, The fear , Blue flashing light and Colder!!!

Moray
Moray Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 5:06 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
Sure there are teenagers who like them but there are also plenty of adults that like them too. I enjoy going to their concerts and seeing such a wide array of ages.

They don't discourage screaming teenage fans but really how are they supposed to do that? And I don't think they encourage it either.

Also, again Dubz, you're reason for disliking Travis focuses on an effect of the band rather than the music produced itself? Last time it was because 40 year old times readers enjoyed them, now it's because teeny boppers follow them. Ok. I still don't see how this prevents you from enjoying them?

Travis are hardly the 'Smash hits' cover whores you make them out to be. Anyway, The Beatles played out to a sold out Shea Stadium while touring with Rubber Soul, to a stadium packed with girls who screamed so loudly they couldn't hear the songs. Damned fine music though.

If you find their songs to be unpalatable, fair enough. But all the other reasoning is just spurious.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 5:12 PM Quote
MoraySwan wrote:
But all the other reasoning is just spurious.

Ooooh, a new vocabulary word for me. Spurious: ingenuine. Thank you, Man of the Sea!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 5:38 PM Quote
MoraySwan wrote:
weirdmominaustin wrote:

Also, again Dubz, you're reason for disliking Travis focuses on an effect of the band rather than the music produced itself? Last time it was because 40 year old times readers enjoyed them, now it's because teeny boppers follow them. Ok. I still don't see how this prevents you from enjoying them?

Travis are hardly the 'Smash hits' cover whores you make them out to be. Anyway, The Beatles played out to a sold out Shea Stadium while touring with Rubber Soul, to a stadium packed with girls who screamed so loudly they couldn't hear the songs. Damned fine music though.

If you find their songs to be unpalatable, fair enough. But all the other reasoning is just spurious.

It doesn't prevent me from enjoying them, I just don't fucking like them. You are taking other points from my arguement and turning them into your ideas for me not liking them. it's Sillyjism.

What you can't seem to grasp is the reason I don't like them now is because they disappointed me by becoming something other than I had hoped... but as gladders said earlier that's my problem. also to use your logic if they are that fucking great and musically wonderful, how come they are still struggling for record sales and recognition?

Dubz

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:29 PM