Travis

Re: favourtie travis song?
DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 12:08 AM Quote
I love you anyways.

Always has been and always will be. I don't have a reasonable explanation for it either.

feri
feri Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 12:18 AM Quote
Driftwood:)

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 12:51 AM Quote
ring out the bell. it's the one that is most 'me'.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 1:27 AM Quote
Though I see a lot of musical and lyrical progression from "Good Feeling" that is an album I go back to more and more. I really do like the raw feel of it.

Dubz, have you heard any of the new stuff yet? I haven't (purposely avoiding it) but I was just curious if you had because from what people said it is more rocky and raw.

galletitabonita
galletitabonita Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 4:10 AM Quote
Side

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 4:18 AM Quote
Writing To Reach You historically.

But I have others competing for the first spot, and they change all the time. Right now:
Blue Flashing Light, Good Day To Die, Driftwood, Pipe Dreams, Walking Down The Hill, Love Will Come Through...

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 4:32 AM Quote
Combing my Hair.

Countrygent
Countrygent Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 11:14 AM Quote
Turn (awaits lots of criticism for pciking an obvious one)

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 11:19 AM Quote
Dubz and grinner are not alone. I have to say that Travis, however much i like the band themselves.
Have not become the band that i hoped and I find a lot of the last albums wishy washY and middle of the road.
But thats my problem and not theirs.

Helen *the original*
Helen *the original* Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 11:28 AM Quote
More Than Us because this is a song that has constantly changed on me. I'm a real lyrics person so when i listen to it (and it's usually been a while since the previous listen) the meaning changes. I love songs that can do that with me.

irenesfor
irenesfor Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 3:58 PM Quote
I love all the songs, but... Writing to reach you, Flowers in the window or My Eyes are some of my favourite.
Bye!!

Oskari
Oskari Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 4:03 PM Quote
it changes quite much..so I can't really name just one..at the moment it's "My Eyes"

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 4:41 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I like it because it is so "rock", it's what original "indie" sounded like to me. It sounds raw and there's an energy to it that isn't on the later stuff, I really would have preferred if they had followed this route instead of the "wishy-washy" type of stuff they are producing now, although The Boy With No Name does have it's moments, it's still in my opinion nowhere near as good as Good Feeling, I feel the later stuff has become sort of "Coldplayesque" and I always thought that Coldplay were always Radiohead toned down and packaged for the masses.

Argh. I get so annoyed reading the same old cliched Travis review comparing them to Radiohead and latterly Coldplay. There's fuck all similarity between Travis and Radiohead. Radiohead are prog rock, plain and simple. Travis if anything are folk. Name me one Radiohead or Coldplay song that evokes the feeling of 'All I want to Do Is Rock'?? Thom Yorkes writing tends to focus on paranoia, cynicism and fear. He's the one who wrote "Don't get sentimental, it always ends up drivel". Now I can't say I agree with this, but it certainly means he wouldn't write something as gloriously emotional as "Flowers in the Window" or "My Eyes".

Neither of them are 'Indie' thats just a drummed up falacy of a music genre used to describe bands who released their music on an independent record label.

It just shows a fundamental lack of understanding or appreciation of what Travis or Radiohead are aiming to achieve. You'd be as well saying all hip hop music sounds the same.

For the record, I wouldn't be able to choose between Driftwood, All I want to Do is Rock, Flowers in the Window and My Eyes as my top travis song. It'd be too difficult.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 5:34 PM Quote
MoraySwan wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I like it because it is so "rock", it's what original "indie" sounded like to me. It sounds raw and there's an energy to it that isn't on the later stuff, I really would have preferred if they had followed this route instead of the "wishy-washy" type of stuff they are producing now, although The Boy With No Name does have it's moments, it's still in my opinion nowhere near as good as Good Feeling, I feel the later stuff has become sort of "Coldplayesque" and I always thought that Coldplay were always Radiohead toned down and packaged for the masses.

Argh. I get so annoyed reading the same old cliched Travis review comparing them to Radiohead and latterly Coldplay. There's fuck all similarity between Travis and Radiohead. Radiohead are prog rock, plain and simple. Travis if anything are folk. Name me one Radiohead or Coldplay song that evokes the feeling of 'All I want to Do Is Rock'?? Thom Yorkes writing tends to focus on paranoia, cynicism and fear. He's the one who wrote "Don't get sentimental, it always ends up drivel". Now I can't say I agree with this, but it certainly means he wouldn't write something as gloriously emotional as "Flowers in the Window" or "My Eyes".

Neither of them are 'Indie' thats just a drummed up falacy of a music genre used to describe bands who released their music on an independent record label.

It just shows a fundamental lack of understanding or appreciation of what Travis or Radiohead are aiming to achieve. You'd be as well saying all hip hop music sounds the same.

For the record, I wouldn't be able to choose between Driftwood, All I want to Do is Rock, Flowers in the Window and My Eyes as my top travis song. It'd be too difficult.

"a fundemental lack of understanding" - are you calling me thick ?

I wasn't saying they sound the same as Coldplay but rather they had gone the same route, ie. more mainstream, watered down wishy washy shite road.

Yellow although seriously overplayed was a wonderful song and to follow it up with the drivel that has spouted from Chris Martin's wankery mouth, in my opinion, is a fucking crime.

Travis to a lesser extent have done the same.

also on the Indie side of things, Indie does indeed come from the fact that these bands were on independant labels, but only because no one would sign them, this was obviously well before the bigger companies realised there was a market to be exploited. I do agree that nowasdays "Indie" is a complete and utter falacy but in days gone by it wasn't, it was a sound, it made a difference. Indie bands usually decided they sounded how they wanted them to sound, not dicated to by EMI or Sony or whoever.

If you take Radiohead and water it right down and make it far more acceptable you do get Coldplay, Coldplay are a band that it's safe to like for 40 year ld tossers who read the Times.

Dubz

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 5:39 PM Quote
Dubz, your entire review there is fundamentaly flawed as it centre's around the various types of people there who either listen to the music or create the music. None of it centre's on the music itself. Did the melody grab you by the nuts? Is there a guitar hook that made the hairs stand on end? Is there a lyric there that meant something to you?

Who gives a shit if some 40 year old times reader appreciates it? It's still ok for you to like it. At the risk of sounding like the Swedish chef from the Muppets. "Good musics is Good musics".

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:27 PM