Pi(ano)Song

*cheers* :)
http://www.piday.org

Re: 3.14
carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Sat 15 Mar, 2008 4:19 AM Quote
heyjude wrote:
It's "Pi Day" today! 14 March.

It's also steak and bj day ;) Yea, we don't celebrate that one here in my house !

Re: 3.14
Rallyfoeraren
Rallyfoeraren Posted Thu 20 Mar, 2008 4:41 PM Quote
la femme qui wrote:
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Lol, that's useless but really interesting information. Thanks :D

The pi thing is interesting, especially because it seems to have been going for so long. I wonder if it actually means anything or whether it's just a number that they choose as a default.

Well they do call me the useless-but-really-interesting-information keeper :D

On the old site there was a bit where Fran explained his fascination with pi... something about everything being round or circular. It was on this page but the pop-up doesn't seem to work...

I found this on some kind of Travis site. It's from a 1999 edition of travisonline:

3.14, The Transcendental Number
I hated mathematics at school 'cause I had a shit maths teacher (Beardy).
We were talking about maths the other day and Dougie pointed out that equations looked alot like poetry.
I'm wandering off the subject.
Right.
Pi, 3.14, is a special number for me because for about the past 8 years I've been seeing it everywhere - On digital clock faces, on cash till displays, road signs, car registration plates. I got the shivers when at 3.14am on May 2nd, a new Labour government came into power.
3.14 is a recurring number.
The circle is the most basic recurring shape in the world raindrops, planets, atoms, molecules. In honour of pi we painted a huge green circle on our red room wall when we all lived together in Glasgow before we moved to the big banana.
When arriving at the Jools Holland set our backdrop was concentric red and green circles. We felt at home. There's apparently a couple of mathematicians in America whose life work is based on 3.14. There are powerful computers working as I type and as you read trying to get to the bottom of it. 3.14 is so far an infinite number.
Click on the 3.14 at the top of this window to visit a site which attempts to unravel the mysteries of Pi.

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 1:27 AM