Travis

Re: dougie live
Lucile
Lucile Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 4:28 PM Quote
gladsadmad wrote:
This has got me thinking, what songs has Dougie sung live? (Even partially solo like Turn)

Turn
Know Nothing
Ring Out The Bell
All The Young Dudes

Does he have any other cameo parts? I can't recall any off the top of my head.
Do not include purely backing vocals that are sung with Fran and Andy.

If I'm not mistaken he has sung a verse of The Weight on a few occasions.

FranFlower
FranFlower Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 4:45 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
RaZzZ wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
varz wrote:
every time i've seen them live, dougie has sung the 2nd verse...

Same here. Whether in person or on Tv. I've always seen Dougie do it.

But it`s real, i saw fran singing 2nd verse!

Not saying you're lying. Just saying that i've never seen it. I'm sure he did in the early days of the song. Its a very old song actually. Early 90's i believe.

In the Turn video from 1993 on the Singles DVD Andy and Fran sing Dougies verse - Andy does the first (and third) line where Fran is still on Leeeeearn :P Dougie weren't in Travis at this point, so I'm guessing the idea of someone else "helping" Fran with the second verse is quite an old dilemma ;-)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 5:26 PM Quote
FranFlower wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
RaZzZ wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
varz wrote:
every time i've seen them live, dougie has sung the 2nd verse...

Same here. Whether in person or on Tv. I've always seen Dougie do it.

But it`s real, i saw fran singing 2nd verse!

Not saying you're lying. Just saying that i've never seen it. I'm sure he did in the early days of the song. Its a very old song actually. Early 90's i believe.

In the Turn video from 1993 on the Singles DVD Andy and Fran sing Dougies verse - Andy does the first (and third) line where Fran is still on Leeeeearn :P Dougie weren't in Travis at this point, so I'm guessing the idea of someone else "helping" Fran with the second verse is quite an old dilemma ;-)

Oh that's it. I knew i'd seen an early video somewhere. Haha. Yes, like i said, whenever i've seen it, Dougie has sung the second verse.

spid
spid Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 7:31 PM Quote
FranFlower wrote:
Dougie weren't in Travis at this point,

YOu what?!!!!!! DOugie was in Travis when Turn was released and way before that too. WHat you on girl!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 8:33 PM Quote
spid wrote:
FranFlower wrote:

YOu what?!!!!!! DOugie was in Travis when Turn was released and way before that too. WHat you on girl!

Travis pre-Dougie circa 1993. Non-Dougie bassist first sighting at 1:57

mili
mili Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 8:40 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
spid wrote:
FranFlower wrote:

I suppose that's still Glass Onion.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 8:45 PM Quote
mili wrote:

Perhaps. But there was a stint where Travis had the Martin brothers in it.

Either way, Fran Flower is not smoking crack. :) Turn was just around for a long time before it made it onto an album.

FranFlower
FranFlower Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 9:54 PM Quote
spid wrote:
FranFlower wrote:

Yeah, true Dougie was in Travis when they released Turn in 1999(duh), but the video I'm talking about is from 1993 and shows that Turn is indeed a very old song dating back to before Dougie became the bassist :-)

weirdmominaustin wrote:
Either way, Fran Flower is not smoking crack. :) Turn was just around for a long time before it made it onto an album.

Haha, thanks for the support. Def no crack in my backyard, lol :-P

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Wed 27 Feb, 2008 10:14 PM Quote
mili wrote:
weirdmominaustin wrote:
spid wrote:
FranFlower wrote:

I don`t sure at all...

But if you can see,in the wall there are a Travis Poster...

mili
mili Posted Thu 28 Feb, 2008 5:58 PM Quote
RaZzZ wrote:
mili wrote:
weirdmominaustin wrote:
spid wrote:
FranFlower wrote:

I don`t sure at all...

But if you can see,in the wall there are a Travis Poster...

Plot thickens. AFAIK Travis was born when the two original members were kicked out and Dougie hired instead, and that the band wasn't even called Travis before that. The poster on the wall does indeed look like TRA… Where was Dougie???

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 28 Feb, 2008 6:15 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Where was Dougie???

He was strengthening his hip muscles so he could drive the ladies wild.

So he and Fran were best mates and when the two Martin brothers got kicked out/left/whatever Fran asked him to play bass in the band, even though he didn't even play bass at the time.

I had read that on wiki and I wondered if it was true so I asked Dougie last summer (when they were in Austin). He said yes, he didn't know bass and Fran asked him so he did indeed basically lock himself in his room for two weeks and taught himself bass.

But he did play other instruments (one being the sax)before that so it's not like he had no musical knowledge.

Imagining Dougie playing the sax awakened a new obsession and I am now determined to beg so much that Dougie is compelled to do a sax solo at their shows.

FranFlower
FranFlower Posted Thu 28 Feb, 2008 7:08 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
mili wrote:
Where was Dougie???

So he and Fran were best mates and when the two Martin brothers got kicked out/left/whatever Fran asked him to play bass in the band, even though he didn't even play bass at the time.

I had read that on wiki and I wondered if it was true so I asked Dougie last summer (when they were in Austin). He said yes, he didn't know bass and Fran asked him so he did indeed basically lock himself in his room for two weeks and taught himself bass.

But he did play other instruments (one being the sax)before that so it's not like he had no musical knowledge.

Imagining Dougie playing the sax awakened a new obsession and I am now determined to beg so much that Dougie is compelled to do a sax solo at their shows.

You know, Dougie was actually in a band before Travis :-) He sang and played a little guitar. He told us so in Aberdeen cause we were talking about fonts and he mentioned that he once designed the logo for this band he was in.

mili
mili Posted Thu 28 Feb, 2008 8:04 PM Quote
FranFlower wrote:
weirdmominaustin wrote:
mili wrote:
Where was Dougie???

You know, Dougie was actually in a band before Travis :-) He sang and played a little guitar. He told us so in Aberdeen cause we were talking about fonts and he mentioned that he once designed the logo for this band he was in.

Talking of fonts, did he mention who decided to use Avant Garde Gothic for TRAVIS? That font is trendy again, btw.

FranFlower
FranFlower Posted Thu 28 Feb, 2008 9:12 PM Quote
mili wrote:
FranFlower wrote:
weirdmominaustin wrote:
mili wrote:
Where was Dougie???

Talking of fonts, did he mention who decided to use Avant Garde Gothic for TRAVIS? That font is trendy again, btw.

Nope, but he did tell us that the band he was in called themselves Ballistic, lol :P

And yeah, I've noticed the Travis font getting more common. Not sure what to think of it though. It's like it doesn't quite fit anything other than the Travis logo(s) ;-)

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 9:29 AM