Travis

Trinity, Bristol - the music and the band
GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Tue 12 Feb, 2008 1:35 PM Quote
Trinity, Bristol, UK

We queued outside the Trinity Centre (a former church) for about an hour. When the doors opened at 7.30pm we headed straight for the stage. Palace Fires came out and gave a fine performance, which captured everyone's attention.

Travis appeared at 9.00pm and stood with their backs to the audience whilst we listened to Peter Finch's "Mad As Hell" speech from the 1976 film Network. Very powerful - check it out on You Tube.

Travis then cracked on with the new material, which I have to say sounded AMAZING. A new direction in the Travis journey. 3 songs stick in my mind:

the one that had the words "you gotta get up, you gotta get up, you gotta get up - I dont wanna get up",

"Friends" which I think will get under your skin and be a grower.

The last song of the new set, which had a fantastic crescendo of sound, aided by Neil's massive gong.

After a ten minute break the boys came back on and played "Sing". This set the tone for the second half, with everyone around me joining in. Some lesser played album songs followed, which gave the night a special feeling. Don't get me wrong - but it is nice to have a change from the "classics".

Highlights for me were "Sailing Away" (heard live by me for the first time), "Lola", "Falling Down", "Love Will Come Through", "Eyes Wide Open" and "Selfish Jean", which seems to get better and better each time I hear it live. I hope it will find a place in the closing songs of all future gigs.

When the show was over we tried to hang around to meet the guys, but over-zealous security staff were moving everyone out of the building. After a few minutes outside, we snuck past them and got back in. Fran had appeared and was talking to the security staff - he seemed to be arguing the point that the fans only wanted a few photos. All credit to Fran for trying so hard for the fans, as he managed to convince the staff and we were lucky enough to meet him, Neil and Andy. They gave us their autographs, posed for photos and had a proper chat. They were so caring and talkative, and really seemed to enjoy getting "Closer" to their fans! They are a credit to the music industry and their fans.

I sincerely hope that the band goes from strength to strength. Judging by last night's new material, us fans are in for a real treat when the new album is released.

Re: Trinity, Bristol - the music and the band
Florencia
Florencia Posted Tue 12 Feb, 2008 2:25 PM Quote
GMS1968 wrote:
Trinity, Bristol, UK

the one that had the words "you gotta get up, you gotta get up, you gotta get up - I dont wanna get up",

This is my favorite of the new songs.
Last night they were sooooooo amazing!!!!

mayfly
mayfly Posted Tue 12 Feb, 2008 2:53 PM Quote
Florencia wrote:
GMS1968 wrote:
Trinity, Bristol, UK

This is my favorite of the new songs.
Last night they were sooooooo amazing!!!!

What's the name of that song?

mili
mili Posted Tue 12 Feb, 2008 3:11 PM Quote
Isn't there a song called Get Up?

Edit, yes there is:
http://www.travisonline.com/board/view.php?t=6728

GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Tue 12 Feb, 2008 3:23 PM Quote
Looking at the cambridge setlist, there is a song titled get up. Very catchy and could become a new travis anthem. Early days,but seems like a good choice for first single. What do you think?

bumpsadaisy
bumpsadaisy Posted Tue 12 Feb, 2008 4:58 PM Quote
What a fab night, it was worth having a 3/4 hour tour of Bristol getting completely lost. Missed the support act, however took a friend with me who informed me that she wouldn't know the band if they were stood next to her, by the end of the evening, she was a convert and insisted we play TBWNN all the way home! Thanks lads for a great gig.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 11:02 AM