Travis

Re: Things We've Learned on the Board
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 5:44 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
I may have heard it before but I am pretty sure I learned the word "tosser" on here. It's a fantastic insult. I'd use it more in my daily conversation if it would have the desired effect instead of a blank stare.

What does "tosser" mean?

I don't know if it's something I learned, but it never ceases to amaze me how cool and lovable some boardies are. Seriously. Sounds cheesy but I don't know how else to put it.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 8:34 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
I may have heard it before but I am pretty sure I learned the word "tosser" on here. It's a fantastic insult. I'd use it more in my daily conversation if it would have the desired effect instead of a blank stare.

well there is your chance to introduce it to America ! :D

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 8:56 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

What does "tosser" mean?

Without appearing too crude & rude, it's meaning is very similar to "Wanker" or in the US Vernacular "Jerk".

Anne, you can use various derivations of "tosser", including, but not limited to:

Tosspot
Tosspiece
Tossface

Or you can also try "Tossed off", meaning somebody who has left without due cause. Example phrase:

Kayte: "Where's Moray gone?"
Anne: "He's Tossed Off for the day"

Or perhaps this one:

Kayte: "Have you seen Dubz yet"
Anne: "Yes, he's over there, tossing about"

similar to "Fucking about".

Today's Seasame Street was brought to you by the word "Toss".

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 12:04 PM Quote
Moray wrote:

Without appearing too crude & rude, it's meaning is very similar to "Wanker" or in the US Vernacular "Jerk".

Anne, you can use various derivations of "tosser", including, but not limited to:

Tosspot
Tosspiece
Tossface

Or you can also try "Tossed off", meaning somebody who has left without due cause. Example phrase:

Kayte: "Where's Moray gone?"
Anne: "He's Tossed Off for the day"

Or perhaps this one:

Kayte: "Have you seen Dubz yet"
Anne: "Yes, he's over there, tossing about"

similar to "Fucking about".

Today's Seasame Street was brought to you by the word "Toss".

Just be careful not too mix them up as "Tossing off" means something totally different!!

Dubz

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 12:50 PM Quote
They're not familiar with "wanker" in the States.
I once got into an argument with a guy and called him a wanker and he didn't get it.
The argument was because i was crossing the road when i wasn't supposed to - i did it the parisian way ("no car, let's go !".
The bloke yelled at me so i gave him the "V" sign and called him a wanker.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 2:07 PM Quote
where was that abs ? I hear Anglophiles say wanker all the time . Usually they affect an accent when they do it too

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 2:14 PM Quote
I taught my Canadian flatmate various phrases to shout at sporting events. I felt personally satisfied when we went to watch Scotland vs. U.S.A at hampden (Soccer) and he screamed "THAT'S SHITE THAT IS, REFEREE. YA WANKER!". I felt like a proud father.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 2:22 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
They're not familiar with "wanker" in the States.
I once got into an argument with a guy and called him a wanker and he didn't get it.
The argument was because i was crossing the road when i wasn't supposed to - i did it the parisian way ("no car, let's go !".
The bloke yelled at me so i gave him the "V" sign and called him a wanker.

You sure it wasn't 'wankeur'?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 2:31 PM Quote
Oh, I learned the word "bollocks" from Esteban when I was making my Thanksgiving dinner. (Remember the Thanksgiving dinner? Ha ha!)

Esteban wrote:

If they don't like what you make for them, tell 'em bollocks.

I had to look it up. I decided I could not tell my relatives that, even if they wouldn't know what it meant.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 2:35 PM Quote
I suddenly feel really proud to be British, with all these rude words we have given to the world.

Re: Sweary Words We've Learned on the Board
Moray
Moray Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 2:36 PM Quote
I've renamed the thread appropriately.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 2:36 PM Quote
I prefer the Irish venacular, Bollix, as in Seamus get ouva 'ere ye little bollix.

Dubz

*edit* Which reminds me of a story similar to Moray's, a friend of mine has an aunt who went to become a Nun and as they do she buggered off for years, Australia if I remember correctly, anyway she comes back about 30 years later, and my friends Dad decides to take her along to Croke Park to watch the Dubs playing in a GAA match. Halfway through the match she turns to her brother and asks "Why do they think the ref should be abolished?" , "what?" says he, "there are shouting something about the ref being abolished!" he didn't have the heart to tell her it was "The Referee's a Bollix".

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 2:40 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I prefer the Irish venacular, Bollix, as in Seamus get ouva 'ere ye little bollix.

Dubz

Yes, that does add a nice bit of local color.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 2:44 PM Quote
so does adding the e at the end of shit imply past tence useage ?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 2:48 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
so does adding the e at the end of shit imply past tence useage ?

'fraid not. See Brad Pitt in Snatch "I need a Shite",

I think it's just the dialect, Scots tend to say Shite rather than Shit, See Also Piss vs Pish

Dubz

Pages Previous 1...3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:04 AM