Travis

Re: Illegal Immigration
haz
haz Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:30 PM Quote
th74 wrote:
It'll be interesting to see what happens with immigration, whoever is elected. Immigration is just one issue that's important for me this election year.

it will be interesting i agree with you. i'm amazed at how resistant some people are to the whole "pathway to citizenship" proposal. it seems to be somewhat of a logical idea given the vast numbers of people that are here illegally without resorting to dramatic measures like just tossing them out of the country, what about kids that were born here who are citizens etc. this is an issue that's not just a simple case of "round 'em up and ship 'em home" but of course the politicians won't frame it that way.

whatever you do, don't get me started on the "war" ;)

2bm
2bm Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:36 PM Quote
*off topic*

funny though how they don't want immigration, but the northamericans call themselves "Americans".. if that's so, then it wouldn't be illegal for me to go there.. after all, i'm from America too. South america, but it's america ¬¬

lol XD

Here in argentina there are a lot of immigrants.. As someone mentioned above, here, the same happens.. some are against it, some not. However, I believe we've gotten used to people from other countries more than in other places (after all, when the "nation" was formed, few people were from this country. Most of the inhabitants were from europe)

In my opinion immigration shouldnt be illegal... People don't own the earth, we should be able to go wherever we want to.. I don't mind having some restrictions (if not, it would be a chaotic situation), but sometimes i feel it's impossible to go to another country =S

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:36 PM Quote
I agree that there is this manic fear that certain politicians spread. The average folk who bitch about it can never offer an example of an "illegal" stealing a job. But they talk about it as if they are so personally affected.

My dad's side is Italian and my mom's side is German. They all came over when it was bad news to be from there. Even though I'm two generations removed from that I still bristle at people acting like they any less deserving as humans and can't believe that people forget we all came from somewhere else.*

*except of course Native Americans

Many of you have probably heard this point but for those who haven't: Undocumented workers (the pc term!) don't seem to feel above any type of work, unlike many Americans who will sooner collect welfare than do a menial job. Undocumented workers are just generally happy to have a job. And the same bubbas who gripe about this sure don't complain about how cheaply their lawn is mowed or their house cleaned or their house was built.

Joe
Joe Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:46 PM Quote
A certain amount of immigration is necessary for a country's economy to remain healthy (bringing in new talent, workforce) and also helps on the cultural acceptance side.

What I disagree with is when immigrants go to a country to work, but then make no effort to integrate the country, preferring to remain in close communities. Of course, it's daunting to go to a country where the language and culture are foreign. I've been in that situation, and it's the same for people arriving in the U.K., but if you make an effort, you'll reap the rewards.

That's why talking about immigration is often not the right question. We shouldn't be asking ourselves "how can we stop people entering the country", but "how can we help nely arrived immigrants to integrate our society and appreciate its values?".

th74
th74 Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:47 PM Quote
haz wrote:

it will be interesting i agree with you. i'm amazed at how resistant some people are to the whole "pathway to citizenship" proposal. it seems to be somewhat of a logical idea given the vast numbers of people that are here illegally without resorting to dramatic measures like just tossing them out of the country, what about kids that were born here who are citizens etc. this is an issue that's not just a simple case of "round 'em up and ship 'em home" but of course the politicians won't frame it that way.

I think a lot of people don't take the time to look for info on a subject (like immigration) and rely on what other people tell them.

And war? What war? I'm pretty sure Dubya told us that Mission was Accomplished 4 years ago ;)

Yes, the war, specifically the end of it, is one of my other big issues this year, too.

Joe
Joe Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:51 PM Quote
th74 wrote:

And war? What war? I'm pretty sure Dubya told us that Mission was Accomplished 4 years ago ;)

Yes, the war, specifically the end of it, is one of my other big issues this year, too.

Actually, to be fair, the surge since last February has helped improve the situation a lot, if the figures various authorities show us are true.
Even if you don't agree with the principle, surely the important thing is to instore peace. A pull-out of troops, although it has begun for certain armies of the alliance, may not be the best answer. General Petraeus seems the right man for the job, although, obviously, we can oonly judge on what information we are shown.

haz
haz Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:51 PM Quote
th74 wrote:
haz wrote:

I think a lot of people don't take the time to look for info on a subject (like immigration) and rely on what other people tell them.

Dubya, how will history look back on the past eight years. i shudder to think. it's really amazing to me that this guy is now going around the Middle East (first visit in eight years) trying to get everyone to place nice. yeah that will be his legacy won't it, yeah sorted.

haz
haz Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:53 PM Quote
Joe wrote:
th74 wrote:

Actually, to be fair, the surge since last February has helped improve the situation a lot, if the figures various authorities show us are true.
Even if you don't agree with the principle, surely the important thing is to instore peace. A pull-out of troops, although it has begun for certain armies of the alliance, may not be the best answer. General Petraeus seems the right man for the job, although, obviously, we can oonly judge on what information we are shown.

"instore peace" i like it, get george and dick to pick up their geetars and bring the love to iraq one (or should that be seventy?) virgin megastores at a time ;)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:54 PM Quote
haz wrote:
th74 wrote:
It'll be interesting to see what happens with immigration, whoever is elected. Immigration is just one issue that's important for me this election year.

It is very sad to me that it has become a racial issue mainly against those from Mexico and South America. Illegal immigrants can have any skin color and they come from all over the world to the United States, and while I understand that these people are struggling to make money and survive in many cases in their home lands, I definitely feel something needs to be done to help manage the situation. It took my boyfriend's family, for example, years to finally make it to America from Poland...doing it the right way and not sneaking in illegally. So when I hear about how many people aren't going through the proper procedures it upsets me. However, as Haz said...you can't just kick people out. It isn't humane to break up families and put people out on the streets...especially for those with children that were born here. I would definitely agree with some sort of "pathway to citizenship" proposal.

Joe
Joe Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:59 PM Quote
haz wrote:

"instore peace" i like it, get george and dick to pick up their geetars and bring the love to iraq one virgin megastore at a time ;)

Well how would you put it? Got a magic wand to make peace happen if the troops are pulled out? People seem to forget that when democracy was brought to Britain, France and the U.S.A., it didn't happen in just a couple of years, and lawlessness and bloodshed were just as commonplace then. I'm not saying I'm in favour of the war, just that what's done is done and the future is all that matters.

Oh, and by the way, Virgin Megastores don't exist any more. Richard Branson sold that part of hi business.

Joe
Joe Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:59 PM Quote
Double post

th74
th74 Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 9:03 PM Quote
Joe wrote:

I actually do think that there needs to be a timely, well planned pull out and the US shouldn't just walk away. The problem is I can't imagine what that looks like, or how it would work. But that's only my one puny brain trying to process...

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 9:07 PM Quote
It's definitely a "race" issue. A lot of people's opinion on this matter often changes depending on the country of origin of the immigrants in question (whether they're legal or not).

It happens in the US with people from other parts of America other than Canada, esp. mexican people.
Here in Argentina, it happens a lot with people from neighbouring countries, such as Bolivia, Peru, Paraguay. It's the same story. It pisses me off really. Why someone from, I don't know, Italy would be a better immigrant than someone from Bolivia??

Joe
Joe Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 9:09 PM Quote
Well some troops (namely British) are doing a gradual hand-over, having already given Basra over to the Iraqi troops. Of course, there's still wok to be done. Musa Qali was only just retaken a few weeks ago, but a gradual hand-over is possible; But these calls of "get our troops out of an illlegal war", though they may well have a valid point, need to remain both specific (not just shouting abuse at elected government leaders, however foolish they may apear) and realistic.

missmoo
missmoo Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 9:18 PM Quote
A word sums all this up, Prejudice! There are a lot of people here in the United Kingdom working and living from all over the world, In my opinion they want better lives for themselves. Who doesn't? People will always judge other people with out knowing the facts or circumstances. It's a real real shame we do this to each other! :-(

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:26 PM