Travis

Use of the voice: Lyrical or Instrumental?
paul_c
paul_c Posted Sat 22 Dec, 2007 7:51 PM Quote
I was listening to Bjork's 'Volta' album last night, and it really made me realise that she manages to use her voice for more than just sending out the lyrics. She manages to use her voice as an instrument as well, which i think is fantastic. Totally unique.

So what do you prefer: the voice being used to transmit lyrical content, or using the voice as another instrument in the mix?

Re: Use of the voice: Lyrical or Instrumental?
pixiedixie
pixiedixie Posted Sat 22 Dec, 2007 7:57 PM Quote
I adore Björk, whatever she does... but you got a point there, her voice, and the way she says her words is sometimes more descriptive than the lyrics...

I´m sorry to be kinda geeky here, but she is a godess!!

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 22 Dec, 2007 7:57 PM Quote
I think the voice needs lyrics to be better than an instrument, but good delivery is vital. (ie. it's only worth trying to if you can sing!)

I was listening to Band Aid 20 the other day and thinking how nice a voice Fran has compared to some of the others, he is so tender and lovely that it enhances the song and it's meaning more than Chris Martin (for a stereotypical example) ever could.

So in summary, maybe. :)

paul_c
paul_c Posted Sat 22 Dec, 2007 8:03 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
I think the voice needs lyrics to be better than an instrument, but good delivery is vital. (ie. it's only worth trying to if you can sing!)

I was listening to Band Aid 20 the other day and thinking how nice a voice Fran has compared to some of the others, he is so tender and lovely that it enhances the song and it's meaning more than Chris Martin (for a stereotypical example) ever could.

Whereas Dido, for example, on that song is AWFUL!! She tries to use it as an instrument but she's just waffle batter

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 22 Dec, 2007 8:10 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:

Whereas Dido, for example, on that song is AWFUL!! She tries to use it as an instrument but she's just waffle batter

Precisely.
Is waffle batter a technical term?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 22 Dec, 2007 8:11 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
Totally unique.

Liz Frazer (Cocteau Twins) ?
Sigur Ros ?
Lisa Gerrard (Dead Can Dance) ?
Enya (I can't stand but...) ?

for me the music has always been more important than the lyrics.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 22 Dec, 2007 8:14 PM Quote

Right, no use having an instrument unless you know how to play it (and when not to play it). Example: Mariah Carey, no one can say she doesn't have a good voice, but she drives me crazy with the way she sings. She has to use every note in her 3 octave range on each syllable of every word. It's waaaay too much. Sometimes simple is better. A sweet, simple voice can be very expressive. The delivery should be worthy of the lyrics.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 22 Dec, 2007 8:21 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

Right, no use having an instrument unless you know how to play it (and when not to play it). Example: Mariah Carey, no one can say she doesn't have a good voice, but she drives me crazy with the way she sings. She has to use every note in her 3 octave range on each syllable of every word. It's waaaay too much. Sometimes simple is better. A sweet, simple voice can be very expressive. The delivery should be worthy of the lyrics.

over souling is what they call it

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 22 Dec, 2007 8:27 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

Yes, that's a great term, over-souling. I heard her singing Joy to the World and I thought my head was going to explode.

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 22 Dec, 2007 8:27 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

for me the music has always been more important than the lyrics.

Dubz

I prefer singalong stuff generally, and I like knowing what it means, or that it has a point, so lyrics are the easiest way of doing that. Although I haven't heard Sigur Ros much, I believe they do the same thing very differently, so good for them!

The music needs to be good though, and lyrics are nothing without a good melody (which is why rap is so bad ;))

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 22 Dec, 2007 8:29 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
ricv64 wrote:

Yes, that's a great term, over-souling. I heard her singing Joy to the World and I thought my head was going to explode.

It's a shame she sang that 'All I Want For Christmas' song, because it comes up so often at this time of year. It makes you want to tear her vocal-chords out.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 22 Dec, 2007 8:35 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
ricv64 wrote:

It's a shame she sang that 'All I Want For Christmas' song, because it comes up so often at this time of year. It makes you want to tear her vocal-chords out.

Her version of "Joy to the World" makes "All I Want for Christmas" sound as tame as a silent night!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 22 Dec, 2007 8:36 PM Quote

(which is why rap is so bad ;))

Not all Rap is bad, when it's done properly it can be surprisingly good and melodic, try some Run DMC (peter piper, it's tricky for example) or Public Enemy (bring the noise, black steel in the hour of chaos).

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 22 Dec, 2007 8:42 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Not all Rap is bad, when it's done properly it can be surprisingly good and melodic, try some Run DMC (peter piper, it's tricky for example) or Public Enemy (bring the noise, black steel in the hour of chaos).

Dubz

Ha! It's tricky to rock around, to rock around, that's right on time, it's tricky! Haven't thought of that in AGES! Although I have to say I prefer "You Be Illin'."

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 22 Dec, 2007 8:49 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

Ha! It's tricky to rock around, to rock around, that's right on time, it's tricky! Haven't thought of that in AGES! Although I have to say I prefer "You Be Illin'."

I have to replace my copy of Raising Hell,

My Addias & Son of Byford are pure class

Dubz

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:27 AM