Travis

Re: Christmas (or other winter holiday) traditions
TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 09 Dec, 2008 6:42 PM Quote
I don't eat Jansons Frestelse, it's pretty gross!
Well I don't drink Glögg either, so I'm not a typical Swede ;) Rice Pudding is great though! Do you eat that in Canada?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 09 Dec, 2008 6:45 PM Quote
Yes we have rice pudding. And i think it is gross.
The glogg I had was Ikea, and therefore highly authentic , im sure. I didnt really like it. I think i had about a glass of it and eventually threw it out last month or so.
I think i was supposed to dilute it, but i dont think i did.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 09 Dec, 2008 6:49 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Yes we have rice pudding. And i think it is gross.
The glogg I had was Ikea, and therefore highly authentic , im sure. I didnt really like it. I think i had about a glass of it and eventually threw it out last month or so.
I think i was supposed to dilute it, but i dont think i did.

Hmm I don't know aboute the dilute thing... Glögg has a strong flavour, maybe you're not use to it?

So do you drink eggnodd or is that only an american thing ?

Happy 4000!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 09 Dec, 2008 6:51 PM Quote
no, the bottle told me to dilute it. But i didnt see that until after I had some.
I think it said to dilute with water or vodka or...various other options.

We have eggnog. Ive never had the real stuff though. Just the kind you get in a carton at the grocery store. OH, i dont think ive ever seen eggnog in a bag! But if i do, I will be sure to let you all know!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 09 Dec, 2008 6:53 PM Quote
In case you wont see my edited part:

So do you drink eggnodd or is that only an american thing ?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 09 Dec, 2008 7:17 PM Quote
i answered. And it isnt eggnodd. It is eggnog.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 09 Dec, 2008 7:25 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
i answered. And it isnt eggnodd. It is eggnog.

No it's EGGNODD! Hehe ;) No I believe you =)
I'm just a bad loser, but I do trust in your english lexicology!
Now you can celebrate your victory over swede boy by wrapping me in a black bin bag and throw me into the ocean...

I thought everything came in a bag, even Santa! :O

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:31 AM Quote
We have no stockings here in Argentina.
We have christmasy decorations, a Christmas tree and a crib. My mom bought a lovely colla crib a few years ago. We also have a crib with a little house and lots of animals, farmers and shepherds, palm trees, grass, mountains and everything. I call it the "hollywood crib", because the other one is so modest. I'm always in charge of setting up the crib (even though I'm not religious, it's fun). Right now I like the colla crib more, because it's so poor (the shed is a carton box lol) :oP.

We always cellebrate Christmas at home. My grandparents and relatives would come... a few years ago, however, everyone died so now it's just us, which sucks. The only good thing is that my brother and niece come visit, and she's a kid, so it's better. Christmas is always better when there are kids around :o)
We have a huge dinner on Christmas Eve, my mom always makes the perfect tiramisu for dessert!
At 12 o'clock everyone throws fireworks. We open our presents, which are put under the Christmas Tree.
Before we open our presents we make a toast with cider or champagne and hug and kiss each other on the cheek.
Then we eat panettone and different types of nougat.

On Christmas day we have a huge lunch, that may consist on pasta or leftovers (always great).

We eat a lot, as you can see.

The Three Wise Men come to visit on the 6th of January. We leave our shoes under the Christmas tree on the night of the 5th and the Three Wise Men leave presents for us, which we open the following morning.

I have some pics of last year's Christmas dinner. I think I posted them last year, but I'll show them to you again :oP

The colla crib:
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/6982/navidad2007003sw3.jpg

Christmas Eve dinner (btw, this is my quincho, where Travis should play):
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5123/navidad2007010qe8.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3243/navidad2007011ru3.jpg

Turrones (nougat) and panettone... the one with the Keane card was made by a friend of my sister :o)
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7905/navidad2007014wq9.jpg

My mom's delicious tiramisu:
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2401/navidad2007015qh0.jpg

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:54 AM Quote
This isnt a Christmas tradition (well, maybe for someone), but i heard it on the radio today. There was a commerical for a laser hair removal place. They said "get a gift certificate for all your loved ones this Christmas!"

What?
"Merry Christmas! You're hairy!"

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 10 Dec, 2008 11:18 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
We have no stockings here in Argentina.
We have christmasy decorations, a Christmas tree and a crib. My mom bought a lovely colla crib a few years ago. We also have a crib with a little house and lots of animals, farmers and shepherds, palm trees, grass, mountains and everything. I call it the "hollywood crib", because the other one is so modest. I'm always in charge of setting up the crib (even though I'm not religious, it's fun). Right now I like the colla crib more, because it's so poor (the shed is a carton box lol) :oP.

We always cellebrate Christmas at home. My grandparents and relatives would come... a few years ago, however, everyone died so now it's just us, which sucks. The only good thing is that my brother and niece come visit, and she's a kid, so it's better. Christmas is always better when there are kids around :o)
We have a huge dinner on Christmas Eve, my mom always makes the perfect tiramisu for dessert!
At 12 o'clock everyone throws fireworks. We open our presents, which are put under the Christmas Tree.
Before we open our presents we make a toast with cider or champagne and hug and kiss each other on the cheek.
Then we eat panettone and different types of nougat.

On Christmas day we have a huge lunch, that may consist on pasta or leftovers (always great).

We eat a lot, as you can see.

The Three Wise Men come to visit on the 6th of January. We leave our shoes under the Christmas tree on the night of the 5th and the Three Wise Men leave presents for us, which we open the following morning.

I have some pics of last year's Christmas dinner. I think I posted them last year, but I'll show them to you again :oP

The colla crib:
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/6982/navidad2007003sw3.jpg

Christmas Eve dinner (btw, this is my quincho, where Travis should play):
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5123/navidad2007010qe8.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3243/navidad2007011ru3.jpg

Turrones (nougat) and panettone... the one with the Keane card was made by a friend of my sister :o)
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7905/navidad2007014wq9.jpg

My mom's delicious tiramisu:
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2401/navidad2007015qh0.jpg

Tiramisu, that's yummy! Can I have some? http://www.ben-newman.de/smilie/misc/dribble.gif

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Wed 10 Dec, 2008 3:26 PM Quote
Yummy, Juli! I love that colla crib! One of they have a chullo.

On Christmas Eve we eat a lot! Peruvian food, there and here, because in Spain people used to eat seafood on Christmas eve! I don't like that. Then at 24:00 we can open the presents (we leave the presents one week before Christmas day under the Christmas tree). As you see I've never believe in Santa Claus. Then we talk all the night long.

On Christmas day we watch tv and we eat panettone and chocolat for breakfast.

mili
mili Posted Wed 10 Dec, 2008 5:56 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
I don't eat Jansons Frestelse, it's pretty gross!
Well I don't drink Glögg either, so I'm not a typical Swede ;) Rice Pudding is great though! Do you eat that in Canada?

I don't like Janssons Frestelse, either. Make it with ham instead of anchovy + a bit of thyme and some cheese, and it's pretty good…

I don't mind Glögg (kind of mulled wine), but German Glühwein is better. Both benefit from a splash of rhum or Amaretto. It's possible that your Glögg is slightly different to our Glögi.

We baked gingerbread biscuits last weekend, they're good.

Have you ever tried rice pudding with cloudberry jam and whipped cream? I get it every year at a client's Christmas party, pretty nice. At home it's just cinnamon and sugar.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 10 Dec, 2008 6:10 PM Quote
mili wrote:
[quote="TheBoyWithAName"] .
Have you ever tried rice pudding with cloudberry jam and whipped cream? I get it every year at a client's Christmas party, pretty nice. At home it's just cinnamon and sugar.

Nah we just eat it with with some cinnamon and milk, but we eat cheesecake with whipcream and jam, mostly rasperry, but sometimes with cloudberry. To be honest I'm not so fond of cloudberry, but I know that it's a Finish speciality ;)

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 11 Dec, 2008 2:59 PM Quote
I've been trying to reply to this one for ages, but never found the time to type out our family traditions.

Lets see. Starting from the beginning

Christmas always starts for me on the end of school term church service in Huntly. At school, that was always when our family all finished up for the holidays - both my parents were teachers at my school. My Dad would be there as Head teacher, doing readings, and my sisters and I would be playing carols in the orchestra. We still all try to be home for the service, and sit in the visitors gallery. Lately, this tradition has been extended to include going up to the Crown bar after for some dinner and a beer - where the teachers all congregate after the service

On Christmas eve, my sisters and I, plus all the collective groups of friends will go down to the Strahbogie bar for some drinks and to a 'disco', leaving my parents to organise the place for Xmas day!!

Despite being aged in our mid to late twenties, my sisters and I still tend to get up ridiculously early in the morning on Xmas dat to waken up our parents so we can open presents. Although usually one (but bizarrely only ever one!) of us is hungover (normally my big sister).

All our presents are laid out across the sofa's in the big living room. We each have a stocking, which we made ourselves in Home Economics at school. In the stocking, there must be - a pound coin, an apple, a tangerine, a chocolate orange, chocolate coins, a can of irn-bru. The apples and tangerines usually end up put back in the fruit bowl immediately after.

Dad used to try and videotape us opening presents, but thankfully he doesn't do that anymore. Normally we enjoy his opening of presents the best, as he tries to feign excitement as he gets more and more things he doesn't want.

Oh, we normally put the angel on the top of the christmas tree before we open our presents. It's supposed to be a different person who puts it up on the tree, but every year my big sister says its her turn, until she realises she can't reach the top, so I have to do it. Every time!!

The it's Xmas dinner in the dining room. We have our grandparents down to visit every other year.

Dinner is followed by falling asleep in front of Noels Christmas presents, and trying to play one of the board games mum has inevitably tried to give us.

Oh and usually there's an argument put in there somewhere!!

Thats about all our Xmas traditions!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 11 Dec, 2008 3:06 PM Quote
I thought I was the only one that had a parent that was a teacher at their school.

Moray, your family sounds like a hoot.
And also kinda bitter about every present.

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:34 AM