Travis

Re: How did you discover Travis?
Travis-O-Mally
Travis-O-Mally Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 3:17 AM Quote
It was a Saturday night for me, 1999...I was severely hung over, nothing was on the boob, and i was half asleep listening to the wedge on Much Music..."Why does it always rain on me" came on, and within the first 10 seconds, I was amazed...The video chronomatography was incredible and the music sent shivers up my spine, I was going through a rough patch in life, and this song hit me close to home...That night I went on Napster, downloaded every song they had! Don't worry, Music stealer haters, i bought Good feeling and The man who the next week...Now look where we are, the band never ceases to amaze me!

Andrew
Andrew Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 3:19 AM Quote
aaaah when everyone in the world used Napster for their music downloading needs. Them were the days!

..and to keep this post relevant, I do remember seeing all the Man Who videos like Driftwood and Why Does It Always Rain On Me on TV loads and them being my favourites. Although Turn was the best of them all (I think). That leap off a cliff with the kilt and all was pretty cool in WDIAROM. Dilemma

Kay
Kay Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 5:35 AM Quote
i caught the video for why does it always rain on me when i was a kid and thought they were a really odd band. Odd is good :) but i only got the albums a little while later.

TALIA
TALIA Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 6:50 AM Quote
Ursina wrote:
About 8 years ago I saw Travis on MTV and me daughter pointed out that they were from Glasgow. As an expat Glaswegian I was interested of course. Shortly after that we saw Travis on Storytellers and hearing Franny talk openend the flood gates of home sickness, we both started to cry. Since then Travis and their music represent all that's dear to me.... Scotland, Glasgow and a feeling of belonging.
weird maybe.... but that's the way it is :)

That is a great story Sina :)

I "discovered" them when I saw the WDIAROM video on mtv at 2am. I think it was Friday and I was a bit down and there it was.. Fran going out of that trunk hehe such a great video, and then I remembered having heard that song on the radio :)

Dolly Mixed Up Girl
Dolly Mixed Up Girl Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 2:37 PM Quote
Saw them in March 1999 supporting Mansin at the Anson Rooms in Bristol. They totally outshone the main band and all me and my mate talked about on the way home was Travis and how we wished we'd bought a t-shirt on the way in! My mate also got Dougie's fag packet! :)

Travis Dude 4192
Travis Dude 4192 Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 2:47 PM Quote
radio in 99

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 3:21 PM Quote
It was Sing on the radio really - although naturally I'd heard of WDIAROM before, I didn't know anything about Travis. Can't remember whether I heard Side before I got The Invisible Band or not. But anyway, I got it copied for me. =P And I loved it. And then on holiday in New York, around 2001/2002, I got The Man Who. Quite a quirky thing to go to New York to buy a Scottish band's CD, lol.

ayana
ayana Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 5:51 PM Quote
Someone gave me a copy of The Man Who.
It took me ages to realize they were a band and not just a guy singing.
Then I also realized that Sing was one of their songs and I bought 3 albums in 1 month ...

PipeDreams
PipeDreams Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 8:37 PM Quote
my dad used to play them in the car wen i was younger and then i just stareted loving them, then brought all there albums and love them a bit more every day

drift-nina
drift-nina Posted Sat 02 Jun, 2007 1:47 AM Quote
12 - 08 - 2001 aprox ... 10:30 a.m

I heard Side of the radio for 10 seconds because this day was the ranking of this year here ( side & sing was in the top five ) ...... and in this moment ..... to the instant I fell in love

it was a love at first heard!

PictureInWhite
PictureInWhite Posted Sat 02 Jun, 2007 11:22 PM Quote
Read a review of The Man Who in Q magazine (mid-2000 sometime or so)and got really interested, as I found that they were heavily influenced by the Beatles. The Beatles are my favourite band of all-time. Travis are my favourite band of the last 10 years.

radioclyde261
radioclyde261 Posted Sun 03 Jun, 2007 12:20 AM Quote
I was working with a lad who was into some really strange music - we took it in turns to bring CD's into work to listen to. I would always take all my rock oldies (I wasn't really into anything recent) and I didn't really pay any attention to any of the stuff he was bringing in. Until....
One day he brought in Good Feeling, and I was awestruck - totally forgot to work and just listened.
I went out and bought the album immediately and I've been hooked ever since - as has my sister (on the right in my avatar pic).

feri
feri Posted Sun 03 Jun, 2007 12:21 AM Quote
It was thanks to Much More Music. I live in Canada and my dad disconnected the cable so there was no more Much Music (they play TRL type of songs) and so I had to stick to Much MORE Music..and that's where I saw the video for Sing and Side and I thought to myself 'WHO are they?!?! They're so good!'

It was the fall of 2001 I believe when I first saw their videos and decided to listen to their music more.

Steph_canuck
Steph_canuck Posted Sun 03 Jun, 2007 1:15 AM Quote
feri wrote:
It was thanks to Much More Music. I live in Canada and my dad disconnected the cable so there was no more Much Music (they play TRL type of songs) and so I had to stick to Much MORE Music..and that's where I saw the video for Sing and Side and I thought to myself 'WHO are they?!?!

MMM usually has the better music anyways..Much plays the same crap over and over until some new "punk" musicians come out of small town BC...case in point- Faber Drive..like, wtf? And Marianas Trench...though that one single of theirs is kinda catchy lol..
PS. I cant wait to see travis ..:)

liberated
liberated Posted Sun 03 Jun, 2007 3:09 AM Quote
I was listening to Mix 99.9 all weekend, some time in 1999, to win tickets to a special gig with Moist (my favourite band at the time), and I kept hearing WDIAROM every few hours and thought it was a great song. Then I went on Napster and listened to everything I could find on Travis, fell in love with their music, and went to buy their album right away. Now they're my favourite band.

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:08 AM