Travis

Travis/Oasis similarities?
heich
heich Posted Sun 25 Nov, 2007 9:14 PM Quote
First of all i want to make clear that im not saying Travis are trying to follow oasis’ steps or that Travis is making this intentionally, so dont get me wrong. We all know the good relationship between travis and oasis (at least with Noel), so its pointless trying to argue or starting sayin which band is better than the other.

Its just something I was talking with a friend of mine and I think it ended up being something really interesting/curious.

The similarities are based on their albums, nothing to do with music or lyrics; here it is a brief explanation (not a deep analysis or investigation though lol)

Good Feeling – Definitely Maybe

Albums where we can find some of their most rocking and catchy tunes. Excellent debut albums and both having that rough sound.

The Man Who – What’s The Story (Morning Glory)

Here we can find those HUGE hits from both bands. Writing To Reach You, Turn, WDIAROM, even Driftwood. On the other hand, Wonderwall, DLBIA, Champagne Supernova, Roll With It. They are basically the albums that made other people outside the UK start getting interested on both bands.

The Invisible Band – Be Here Now

Another couple of great albums with great songs. Both of them were not very well received by the media and the press , and as far as I know, they got some bad reviews by some sector of the music industry. Despite all of these we can also find some hits such as Sing, Side, Flowers In the Window, Stand By Me, All around the world, Dyou know that I mean and so on.

12 Memories – Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants

Albums where both bands tried to experiment with a different sound and lyrics kind of different as well. Basically the songs are "darker" than their previous releases on both cases.

The Boy With No Name – Heathen Chemistry

Here I remember Noel saying, before its release, that they want to go back to the sound of their first two album and try to get that essence; we can find that typical and characteristic Oasis sound. We cant deny that some song such as Stop Crying Your Heart Out and Little by Little could have been easily included on Whats the Story…On Travis behalf, we have read almost the same thing on the previous weeks before the release of the album, we all know they said the album was going to be more like their first albums and not that much like 12 memories. And again, some songs like My Eyes or Closer seem to be taken from The Man Who.

So what do you think, I didn’t plan to write this much but it came this way =P

I have read some interviews where Fran says that their next album is not going to sound like what the have done before, and that TBWNN kinds of close a cycle along with The Man Who and The Invisible Band.

So what can we expect? Maybe something equivalent as what Oasis did with Don’t Belive The Truth? What do you think about those similarities on their albums?

Re: Travis/Oasis similarities?
beda
beda Posted Mon 26 Nov, 2007 5:42 AM Quote
I'm no sure about that, but all I can say is the similar picture in the booklet of the boy with no name and standing on the shoulder of giant.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 26 Nov, 2007 12:32 PM Quote
To me Oasis is pretty obvious with their lifts , " it's all too much for me to take " good example . Travis not really , just a good use of major and minor chords .

a better comparison to TRAVIS would be Teenage Fanclub maybe , same town at least

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 26 Nov, 2007 9:00 PM Quote
I think you've definitely got a point. It's a good comparison at the start, and I think Don't Believe... could be the equivalent of the next album - back to their best in a slightly different way. Good work :)

oasisbraves
oasisbraves Posted Mon 26 Nov, 2007 10:29 PM Quote
Anyone notice how "3 Times and you lose" kind of sounds like Oasis "Magic Pie". Listen when at the start when Noel sings "an extra ordinary guy..can never have an ordinary day"......it sounds just like 3 times and you lose....not a big deal but very close to the same. Its ok by me since Oasis and Travis are my two favorite bands.

oasisbraves
Matt Berliner

heich
heich Posted Wed 28 Nov, 2007 2:53 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

a better comparison to TRAVIS would be Teenage Fanclub maybe , same town at least

yeah it will probably be a better comparison, but as i said before, it has nothing to do with the music, chords, lyrics, hometown, and all that stuff...it was just made from the point of view of the albums as a whole.

bobsandbag
bobsandbag Posted Tue 08 Jan, 2008 9:55 AM Quote
Oasis have certainly had an influence on Travis but now both bands are established, I think they influence each others music and comparisons can be found in both.

Im a massive fan of Oasis and Travis, and I play guitar so Im always looking for links of any kind between the two. Travis and Oasis could go on as long as the Rolling Stones if they wanted to.

varz
varz Posted Tue 08 Jan, 2008 11:55 AM Quote
y'know, thats not really something i've thought of before but now you mention it, it does seem kinda weird - just coincidental though i think. if you look at the stereophonics, for example, their albums seem to follow a similar sort of pattern.

JimmyDean
JimmyDean Posted Tue 08 Jan, 2008 12:03 PM Quote
Sure - there are some similarities... But look: Fran sings with more heart than the rude brothers do... :-D

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 08 Jan, 2008 1:57 PM Quote
Yeah I like that comparison. I think the debuts are particularly noticeable.

(Just for the record though, I'm not too convinced that The Man Who & TBWNN are similar. I couldn't see My Eyes on The Man Who myself...)

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 08 Jan, 2008 2:47 PM Quote
the lovin spoonful song She's still a mystery to me kinda has the same driving chorus , downstroke city ,as Why does it always rain on me but there's like a 35 year span between the songs

Jimmy_Jimmy
Jimmy_Jimmy Posted Tue 08 Jan, 2008 11:09 PM Quote
Well surely 'Writing to Reach you' and 'Wonderwall' couldn't be any more similar....

They have the same notes / sound just played in a different order.

Both are great songs as well. I think Writing to Reach You is probably my favourite Travis song.

Yulia Nox
Yulia Nox Posted Tue 08 Jan, 2008 11:11 PM Quote
Jimmy_Jimmy wrote:

But that can happen with lots of songs xD!

Jimmy_Jimmy
Jimmy_Jimmy Posted Tue 08 Jan, 2008 11:28 PM Quote
Yulia Nox wrote:
Jimmy_Jimmy wrote:

But that can happen with lots of songs xD!

:) ermm...well yeah that is true.

They do sound similar though ;)

paul_c
paul_c Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 12:14 AM Quote
It's always impossible for bands to avoid similarities isn't it. I remember reading somewhere that Fran's response to Funny Thing sounding like Radiohead was 'yes it does- but there are worse things that it could sound like'. I can see your point about the similarities between the albums, but i don't think any of it is really relevant to how we listen to or think about the albums. Not for me anyway

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:21 PM